Menu

Middle School/Junior High Book Club

If you host a middle school or junior high book club-

could you share how you run it and choose the literature?

(I was thinking of choosing by genre or subject...)

I am interested in this as a co op elective- but am unsure how to run it.

Thanks!

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

I now host a book club whereas before I actually ran it. I pick the books, classics and challenging literature, simply because my dd would rather read light easy reading about girls just like her. I want to expose her to more difficult vocabulary and deeper concepts.

Ultimately, it just became too time consuming for me, (I just started a second book club for my younger dd), so I hired an English PhD student from a local university to run it for me at my house. Currently we have 3 girls who meet once a month.

HTH!

We have been a part of a book club in years past. Usually, the facilitator/coordinator chose the book and planned the discussion questions. She would "set the atmosphere" by providing food and (sometimes) music to accompany the genre. Periodically, there might be a craft or art project that would accompany the book. Some form of mapwork was always included. And a discussion of time period, culture, etc. was part of the pre-reading meeting.