Menu

Self-ed: AoPS I. the Basics, II. And Beyond

My kids are little and I would like to start early prepping myself to be able to teach them higher level maths. Does anyone have a review of the AoPS books that are not specific high school courses (vol. 1 the basics, vol. 2 and beyond) vs. Algebra, Geometry, Calc., etc.?

Do they overlap? Or are they only for math competitors? Would you get the books that your dc may potentially use later? Is this question even making sense?

I did well at math in school, but we rarely (make that never) finished textbooks/courses during the year, so I know there are huge gaps that I was never exposed to. I'm thinking of going through both LoF and AoPS as I'm able starting at the very beginning to make sure I don't miss important building blocks.

So, AoPS Pre-algebra or AoPS vol. 1, the Basics to go along with LoF Pre-Algebra Biology/Economics? What's your recommendation?

Thanks!

Edited by SEGway
ETA: clarification (maybe :) )

I believe that Vol 1 & Vol 2 are a nice mix of topics, something of a general overview of what the authors wished all kids would be exposed to before beginning higher level maths. The individual Subject books (Alg., Geo...) are an in-depth exploration of high school level math.

If you had math in school, I see no need to add LOF to AoPS. AoPS is more than sufficient. If you are preparing for teaching your kids higher math, why not use the normal sequence of AoPS books, i.e. prealgebra, algebra etc? As far as I understand, the problem solving books are not a systematic comprehensive treatment.

AoPS website mentioned Basics as "excellent preparation for the AMC 10" (see under their AMC10 Series course description) and the easier problems on AMC 12. Beyond is a good source for AMC 12.

We have both books, and my impression is Bascis pulls different subjects from their introductory series, and Beyond goes with their intermediate series. They are like review and summary to prepare kids for AMC 10/12.

I think Basics and Beyond were written before they published the subject-focused books.

HTH.

Thanks! That does help. I think I'll start with PreAlgebra AoPS instead of the Basics.

My reasoning for acquiring both LoF and AoPS while going through them myself is that at least one of my children will probably do really well with LoF (based on my observation so far), but I think I (and possibly others of our kids) will jive more with AoPS. I would like to compare them and make notes as I go along. Not having to buy them later will be part of my justification for purchasing. (That works, right?)

Thanks, again.

The first AoPS Basics Vol 1 starts with logrithms - not your simple stuff. Vol. 1 and 2 books are not intended to teach the material, but provide more insight into harder problems in those subjects. THey are often used as competition prep.

Any of the intro series would be a great place to start. Prealgebra is a great book.