Menu

Watercolors?

sditz1

I am replying now to bump you and to mark this because I can ask Dd what brand in the morning. They sell little square cubes of dry colors. They fit in a special box. The starter sets are fairly reasonable and can be custom selected for a bit more. You can simply replace them as they are used up. According to dds art teacher the student quality is great, she doesn't pay for the professional quality for herself. If no one posts the brand name I will add it in the morning!

Yes this is what we normally used for art. Like them much better than crayola brand. But I am looking for something even better to use this year.

We've used Prang the last few years, they have much better color than the crayola-ish brands.

O please remember to post back I would love to know what the name of these are.

I am replying now to bump you and to mark this because I can ask Dd what brand in the morning. They sell little square cubes of dry colors. They fit in a special box. The starter sets are fairly reasonable and can be custom selected for a bit more. You can simply replace them as they are used up. According to dds art teacher the student quality is great, she doesn't pay for the professional quality for herself. If no one posts the brand name I will add it in the morning!

I post on my kindle fire and have no idea how to do links. We live in the UK and dd gets most of her supplies from Ken Bromley if you want to look there.

I went into dick blick and found these. I cannot find individual half pans like she buys. They do have Cotman (student quality Windsor and Newton paints). She said both the Cotman mini-watercolor set 00325-1039 and the Cotman Compact set for landscapes 00325-1029 look good. Depenting on what she wants to paint. Dds teacher restricted her to just 3 colors for her landscapes last year. They are gorgeous -- you don't need many colors if mixed properly.

She is fairly certain she has seen Winsor and Newton supplies at Michael's -- artist quality. She also recommends "proper" paper. The quality of her paintings increased hugely when she added better paper.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions let me know.

We use Stockmar which come in bottles and get watered down from there on a palette or in a jar. I began with these when I was taking painting class myself and they are used in Waldorf often--a few have odd smells, but both my son and I are sensitive to many chemicals and have never gotten sick from these. Knock on wood.

Otherwise I would probably go to a professional quality of tube paint such as Windsor and Newton--the professional paints have more color, less filler, and I think in long run are probably more cost effective. (Mom/Dad should put the day's paint ration on the palette and make sure the tubes are closed properly so that they will last).

But I once had to get rid of a whole set of expensive tube paints due to them provoking headaches, so I have been sticking with the Stockmar.

I post on my kindle fire and have no idea how to do links. We live in the UK and dd gets most of her supplies from Ken Bromley if you want to look there.

I went into dick blick and found these. I cannot find individual half pans like she buys. They do have Cotman (student quality Windsor and Newton paints). She said both the Cotman mini-watercolor set 00325-1039 and the Cotman Compact set for landscapes 00325-1029 look good. Depenting on what she wants to paint. Dds teacher restricted her to just 3 colors for her landscapes last year. They are gorgeous -- you don't need many colors if mixed properly.

She is fairly certain she has seen Winsor and Newton supplies at Michael's -- artist quality. She also recommends "proper" paper. The quality of her paintings increased hugely when she added better paper.

Are they these watercolors? http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/watercolor-paints-and-mediums/lukas-watercolors-and-sets/lukas-aquarell-1862-watercolors.htm

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/watercolor-paints-and-mediums/maimeriblu-superior-watercolours-and-sets/maimeriblu-superior-watercolours.htm

I of course had to go search to satisfy curiosity :lol:

Edited by Aoife

Similar --dd thinks they look nice. They look like the same concept. The little cakes make fabulous color with little mess. The Cotman case has areas to mix your paints. So really self contained.

So what paper would be best as well?

Thanks Susan

Her absolute favorite paper is Bockingford. She has pads that are " gummed." Which basically means all 4 sides are attached to the pad. No crinkled edges. No weighing her paintings down while drying. Really nice. These are pretty expensive. She receives $$$ for art stuff and spends it as she wishes--she only uses that paper for her best work. For playing around she collects other cheaper stuff.

She bought some Strathmore 400 when we were in the states. She liked it. She had Michaels coupons which determined her brand. She didn't get to use it much because by the time she made all of her art purchases we were on our way back here. She is ready for next year!

When I asked about paper today she cracked up. Wants to know if brushes are tomorrow. FYI -- she loves her sable rigger. She spent about £4 for her one here not sure about the US version. She saw a camel hair one the other day that she wanted--just not with her money.:lol:

Just so you know we aren't being mean -- dd is 14 and needs to learn how to budget a bit. Between all of her hobbies she can spend a lot. Dh and I frequently buy her wish items for presents.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paulkelly

I have used crayola brand for watercolors and its various shades also.These are really good. But, which brands for watercolors are recently in trend?

When teaching early childhood, I *loved* the liquid watercolors we ordered from Discount School Supply - Colorations brand. They were some of the most vivid colors even and I just loved watching the kids explore them. Not the same as a high quality true artists set but I felt they had amazing results.