Menu

What would you do for 7th grade science in this situation?

Seems like I'd have 7th grade science down pat the third time around, but a recent curve ball has me undecided. My oldest two sons used Apologia General & Physical Science around this age. It's fairly dry, and we're not on the same page as Jay Wile in several respects. It did the job, but I'd hoped to use something different with my third son.

We were away for a month earlier in the summer, and I planned to look into other options when we came home. I'm particularly interested in CPO Science, but I likely wouldn't do the experiments justice and I'm hesitant to go with a program oriented toward classroom use. I've also considered Rainbow Science. As with Apologia, I'm less than thrilled about the inclusion of any theological views in the curriculum, but I think (?) it's minimal. Luke (rising 7th grader) would appreciate the visual appeal and humor, and could take the lead on experiments. Rainbow does seem rather light, though.

Any-hoo, my current reality is that my husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 melanoma. He recently had surgery and later this month will have another, more extensive surgery after which we'll discuss with the medical oncologist further treatment. At this point, I'm not able to immerse myself in investigating different curriculum and need to be realistic about what the months ahead may hold.

In my situation, what would you do? Stick with Apologia, since I have the materials and know what to expect? Go with Rainbow, with all the experiment materials included and an approach my son could (I suspect) easily manage on his own? Buy CPO and see what I think of it? Or...? I just want to make a decision and be done with it, kwim? Thanks!

Edited by Colleen

What about Science Fusion? It is integrated write-in-text AND online videos (that look rather Myth Buster in presentation); besides that, it is interactive and you can choose the virtual labs when you do not have the materials on hand.

It is secular and on sale through HSBC until August 31st.

It seems that you could choose 3 of the middle school modules (they recommend 3 or 4 per year) and doing just a little bit of planning every week (writing down which module and virtual lab he should do each day) on your end, and he could be fairly independent with this.

What about Science Fusion? It is integrated write-in-text AND online videos (that look rather Myth Buster in presentation); besides that, it is interactive and you can choose the virtual labs when you do not have the materials on hand.

It is secular and on sale through HSBC until August 31st.

It seems that you could choose 3 of the middle school modules (they recommend 3 or 4 per year) and doing just a little bit of planning every week (writing down which module and virtual lab he should do each day) on your end, and he could be fairly independent with this.

Hmmm...I'd prefer not to do something online/computer-based, but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks so much for replying!:)

Seems like I'd have 7th grade science down pat the third time around, but a recent curve ball has me undecided. My oldest two sons used Apologia General & Physical Science around this age. It's fairly dry, and we're not on the same page as Jay Wile in several respects. It did the job, but I'd hoped to use something different with my third son.

We were away for a month earlier in the summer, and I planned to look into other options when we came home. I'm particularly interested in CPO Science, but I likely wouldn't do the experiments justice and I'm hesitant to go with a program oriented toward classroom use. I've also considered Rainbow Science. As with Apologia, I'm less than thrilled about the inclusion of any theological views in the curriculum, but I think (?) it's minimal. Luke (rising 7th grader) would appreciate the visual appeal and humor, and could take the lead on experiments. Rainbow does seem rather light, though.

Any-hoo, my current reality is that my husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 melanoma. He recently had surgery and later this month will have another, more extensive surgery after which we'll discuss with the medical oncologist further treatment. At this point, I'm not able to immerse myself in investigating different curriculum and need to be realistic about what the months ahead may hold.

In my situation, what would you do? Stick with Apologia, since I have the materials and know what to expect? Go with Rainbow, with all the experiment materials included and an approach my son could (I suspect) easily manage on his own? Buy CPO and see what I think of it? Or...? I just want to make a decision and be done with it, kwim? Thanks!

:grouphug: I'm sorry to hear about your dh. You will have a busy time ahead - we'll keep you all in our prayers.

IMO, you would be best served with something written to the student with an open and go lab. That would be Rainbow Science. Although it seems light, it hits all the really important aspects for a junior high science, again IMO :001_smile: The difference between Rainbow and Apologia is that Rainbow is more hands-on focused whereas Apologia is more reading focused. So, perhaps that might make a difference with your son. I used Rainbow with all of my boys and felt it adequately prepared them for the high school levels. We followed up Rainbow with Runkles World Physical Geography (gives a nice Earth science aspect) then Conceptual Physics. From there it was jumping into the high school sciences (BJU mostly).

We covered Rainbow in a year and the boys didn't find it difficult to do that. You could easily spread it out over a year and a half. I think 2 years is almost too long :D As far as theology goes, I think Apologia is much heavier than Rainbow - in fact, I don't remember much in Rainbow except maybe the introduction to science. I prefer the theological treatment of Rainbow over Wile's approach - again, JMO :001_smile:

Meanwhile, take care of yourself and your family - that's the most important thing. Kids can catch up later...really...it's possible. We, too, had a couple of years where I felt that I didn't school adequately, but I'm amazed that the boys did fine in the end. Again :grouphug:

Thank you, Cynthia, for your prayers and advice. Luke is an avid reader, but I do think he'd love what you described as the hands-on focus of Rainbow. My older two are more of the "just let me read and get through it" mindset, whereas Luke loves actual experiments, too. (And, I should add, is perfectly happy to do them on his own rather than have me get in the way!;))

It's good to hear your perspective on the theology (or lack thereof) in Rainbow. Sounds like that won't be an issue for me.

Which grade/age did your guys use Rainbow? I, too, am thinking Luke could get through the two years in one. My older two took an outside oceanography course as 8th graders, and Luke may do the same.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Colleen, I've been praying for your family. :grouphug:

Honestly? I would go with the Apologia and just let it not be ideal. Having the materials, being very familiar with the program so you know you it'll be nearly brain-free for you to supervise, and knowing the older boys could pitch in and help if he needs it, would be too much to resist.

I would use Apologia Physical Science this year if he's already done lots of science in the elementary years. It's more interesting and less preachy than General, IMO, and has better experiments. Then he could do the outsourced Oceanography thing in 8th grade.

Thank you, Cynthia, for your prayers and advice. Luke is an avid reader, but I do think he'd love what you described as the hands-on focus of Rainbow. My older two are more of the "just let me read and get through it" mindset, whereas Luke loves actual experiments, too. (And, I should add, is perfectly happy to do them on his own rather than have me get in the way!;))

It's good to hear your perspective on the theology (or lack thereof) in Rainbow. Sounds like that won't be an issue for me.

Which grade/age did your guys use Rainbow? I, too, am thinking Luke could get through the two years in one. My older two took an outside oceanography course as 8th graders, and Luke may do the same.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

We did it in 6th and 7th depending of the child. I tried to combine ages/grades where I could.

:grouphug: about your dh

Now to science - if you want no brainer for you and fun for your son I would go with Rainbow Science. My oldest used it for 7th last year and loved it. He did all the experiments by himself (he is independent like your son sounds) - everything he needed was in the box - he did all the reading on his own. I didn't have to do anything - except grade the quizzes. It was very secular and had no bias.

IHTH you make a decision :)

Colleen,

My prayers go out to you and your family; I'm sure it hasn't been an easy road. :grouphug:

What about K12 Life Science (advanced or not)? It's secular, computer-based, engaging, largely independent, and gets the job done fairly well. Tons of hands-on activities.

Lisa

Another vote for Rainbow Science. You will buy it, buy a gallon of water, and not have to worry about it. My oldest son is using it now (he is also an avid reader), and when I saw how light the reading was in the textbook I almost returned it. I am very glad I didn't, as my son lists it as his favorite science he's ever done.

The author does put a Christian slant on some topics, but I discussed it with my son before starting, and he's able to convert the statements into something that aligns with his own beliefs. For example -- when he read "Man was created to be inquisitive," my DS substituted "Man has evolved to be inquisitive" and then added a blurb about man's inquisitive nature leading to tools, farming, etc. I know it is argued that using a science text by a Christian author will lead to things being left out, but at this point my bigger concern is that science needs to actually get done every day (along with the other 6 subjects times 5 boys), which it is with Rainbow. If my DS doesn't learn about the details of evolution in his science textbook, he is more than making up for it on the weekends watching marathons of Ancient Aliens. ;) ;)

Rainbow Science is NOT very in depth or mind blowing. However -- my goal for this year for my oldest is to give him a framework to organize all of the random science he has done up to this point to prepare him for an in-depth study in high school. From what I have read (including from Kathy in Richmond, which carries a lot of weight in my mind), Rainbow Science does that.

I will also add that it is large-family-friendly. The instructor guide includes the highlights of each section, along with discussion questions and answers. You don't have to read the text (though each section only takes 5 minutes to read). It is expensive for the initial purchase, but much of it can be reused with younger siblings. I would hesitate to buy it used, since there could potentially be pieces missing and the BIGGEST selling feature of this program is the 100% complete experiment kit (it even includes a Sharpie to label things with!).

I will keep your family in my thoughts as you focus on your husband's health. I have a coffee mug that says Cancer Sucks, and that is pretty much all I have to say about that.

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

Colleen,

I am so sorry to read about your dh's diagnosis. Prayers to you and your family and to a speedy recovery.

Not only do you have a lot to deal with, but your son does too, so I vote for Rainbow Science. It is a bit light, but my ds really enjoyed it and science got done because of that. He did everything on his own. It was fabulous to have everything in one place. We only did the first yearb/c we started the year with PH Physical Science w/the Kolbe supplement. It was too difficult and we were slogging through it, so we switched to RS.

We struggled w/Apologia General Science b/c he constantly hits you over the head w/his theological views. And the wordiness did us in.

Laura

Colleen, I've been praying for your family. :grouphug:

:grouphug: about your dh

My prayers go out to you and your family; I'm sure it hasn't been an easy road. :grouphug:

I will keep your family in my thoughts as you focus on your husband's health.

I am so sorry to read about your dh's diagnosis. Prayers to you and your family and to a speedy recovery.

I appreciate all of this encouragement, as well as your advice. I think I'm going to go with Rainbow Science. I have a hunch the style will appeal to Luke, and while it may not be the deepest program out there, I'm comfortable with the coverage. Ease of use is an added bonus!

Can Rainbow be purchased new for a discount at any of the standard homeschooler suppliers, or is the best/only option to buy direct from the publisher? Thank you!

Our co-op does Rainbow during 6/7th grades over a two year period. I think a strong 7th grader could move through it at a faster pace (maybe a school year and a summer) and do Physical Sci. of some sort in 8th again, setting up a nice track for high school.

It's on the lighter side, but hits all of the important concepts. Theology is much lighter than Apologia.

It would be great for a student directed study.

Our co-op does Rainbow during 6/7th grades over a two year period. I think a strong 7th grader could move through it at a faster pace (maybe a school year and a summer) and do Physical Sci. of some sort in 8th again, setting up a nice track for high school.

It's on the lighter side, but hits all of the important concepts. Theology is much lighter than Apologia.

It would be great for a student directed study.

Thanks for sharing this.:)

I've only heard of it being purchased directly from the seller.
I have only seen it directly from Beginnings Publishing.

Thanks to you both. I'm thinking Luke may cover both years in 7th grade, and the price tag for those two complete sets is a whopping $463. Yikes!!! Since most people likely buy new from the publisher, I wonder if there's any resale value? Of course, my younger guys may use the reusable elements of the program, but still...that's a mighty hefty chunk of change!

ETA I'm guilty of answering before reading all of the replies.

What about using the DIVE program with the Apologia text you already have? I'm Christian & don't care for a lot of theology interspersed, but you have a lot on your plate & he could basically do most of it on his own. Also, in a pinch your dc can watch the virtual experiments. I'll be praying for you & your family.

PS I haven't seen you for a long time, although I'm not sure if it's because I've mainly been on the high school forums or not.

ETA I'm guilty of answering before reading all of the replies.

What about using the DIVE program with the Apologia text you already have? I'm Christian & don't care for a lot of theology interspersed, but you have a lot on your plate & he could basically do most of it on his own. Also, in a pinch your dc can watch the virtual experiments. I'll be praying for you & your family.

PS I haven't seen you for a long time, although I'm not sure if it's because I've mainly been on the high school forums or not.

Thanks for chiming in, Karin.:) I should have mentioned in my original post that I prefer to avoid a virtual program. I've actually decided to go with Rainbow Science; I think it'll be a very good fit for Luke, and he can work fairly independently. Thank you!

Does anyone know if any part of Rainbow Science reusable for other children who might follow? Or do you pretty much need to a new kit for each child e.g. completely consumable?

Thanks,

There is a consumable portion and a non-consumable portion. You can re-order either or both.

I used this in our co-op and had NO problem re-selling the books and non-consumables online.

Thanks for chiming in, Karin.:) I should have mentioned in my original post that I prefer to avoid a virtual program. I've actually decided to go with Rainbow Science; I think it'll be a very good fit for Luke, and he can work fairly independently. Thank you!

I understand, as I've avoided them for years myself This is the first time I've used a virtual program, other than a lecture per chapter for Conceptual Chem for dd, and it's an experiment.

btw, to this day I try to buy Organic Valley from some old thread where you educated us (not sure if it was on this forum or the old boards).

This is great information. My wife really likes Apologia and is therefore reluctant to switch to something new. However after showing her this post last night she also thinks it may be a good option for 7th and 8th grade. Though a bit more pricey I like that parts of the kits can be reused with our younger children.

Honestly I would prefer a program that is a bit more balanced in the presentation of creation with an explanation of evolution and discussion of the age of the earth. From what I've seen in reviews Rainbow Science handles this a bit better. I dont know how much either really goes into their philosphy on this. Apology is young earth creation. However I lean more toward old earth creation. Ideally I would prefer a fair presentation of the various views for our kids. But I know that is hard to find. My understanding is that Rainbow Science is basically silent on the age of the earth which for me is better than insisting on 'one' right view.

Edited by dereksurfs

So sorry to hear about your husband! My prayers for a quick resolution of this melanoma and restoration of sanity for your family!

This year I chose to use Rainbow Science for my 8th grade son with Asperger's. I have been trying to combine all three boys and he needed something more that I thought could get done. I ordered a used kit here from the board that has almost all of the components for the experiments and all the books. I think that this is something he can do mostly independently with me reminding him. I know he will like the humor in the books so I'm giving it a go.

In your shoes...depending on finances (and illness is expensive I know), I would probably go with what I knew. If I had the money and wanted to make sure that ds had a better fit for his school year I would be very tempted to try Rainbow.

:)

Good luck with making this decision!