Menu

KitchenAid mixer dough hook?

I really don't make bread often. I have a bread machine and I usually use it to make the dough and then plop it into normal size bread pans for baking. Or for pizza crust. But today as I was organizing my cabinets, I found the dough hook to my KitchenAid Mixer. So my question is will I regret tossing my bread machine for the dough hook? I have never tried it and suppose I could the next time I make bread. So I will also need some tips!

The King Arthur people firmly maintain that of all the ways to knead dough, the bread machine is the best, and the stand mixer with dough hook is second best. I have tried both and have not noticed a huge difference, but I've only had my bread machine for a short while and so haven't really been able to test this thoroughly.

My KitchenAid motor is clearly nowhere near as strong as the bread machine, though -- it's pretty obvious that whole grain bread dough taxes the mixer.