Menu

European style cookies/pastries with less sugar than American style, recipes?

I'm thinking ahead to the Thanksgiving/ Christmas season and I'd like to gather some recipes for special sweets that are less sweet, IYKWIM.

We've eliminated 75% of the sugar in the house, but I do want to make some festive treats this fall and winter. I know when we lived in Sicily most cookies and pastries were far less sweet than here. Do any of you have names or recipes for tried and true special deserts relatively lower in sugar?

I have a book called Swedish Cakes and Cookies. Some of the cookies have zero sugar!

Its funny, I was just cooking out of that cookbook and thinking the sugar difference was not that great. I made the brown sugar cookies though. ;)

The cakes seem milder.

I got a French jam book from the library last week and it listed so much *more* sugar then I use. I'm not sure Europeans use less sugar, but I do think their baked goods are more diverse, so you have products which are richer, with much less sugar. We tend to think of cookies or cakes in only one way (sweet).

Its funny, I was just cooking out of that cookbook and thinking the sugar difference was not that great. I made the brown sugar cookies though. ;)

The cakes seem milder.

I agree - I do not think all the recipes in there are low sugar, but there are some biscuits/cookies with very little to no sugar (or only sugar sprinkled on the outside). Also I think things like the sweet rolls seem not to call for as much sugary goo inside than some American recipes.

Then again, I was watching America's Test Kitchen the other day and they redid the sacher torte by doubling up the chocolate in it. They felt that was way too mild, with just a "brown" flavor. That being said, I find extremely chocolatey stuff gives me a stomach ache.

At any rate, it's a fun cookbook to look at.