Menu

Taking son to uni in a month. Question:

I was reading that younger siblings feel sad and want to see their sib off. One article I read recommended bringing the siblings but I think that would be too intrusive for ds as he has 3. This is more about him. So what can we do for the siblings left behind?

When oldest went to college we all took him - including his three younger siblings. The youngest clearly made an impression at the university when he set the alarm off by going out the emergency only door:001_smile:. But, then oldest just expected that we'd all go - it helped, esp the youngest who was 3, to see where big bro was going to be staying.

I would ask if he wants them all to come. If it's not what he wants then a party the night before as a send off.

Of course in our family we do things like this together - we also went to the university each year for at least one football game, etc.

Just piping in to say that I think it is very thoughtful of you to consider the siblings feelings like that. I remember when my brother went off to college, I was so sad. I couldn't get over the fact that my parents just left him there. Seems silly now, but it really upset me at the time.

Maybe if college kid doesn't want the youngers to come along, you could take your camera and take pictures. Big brother at the library, big brother at his desk, big brother with his roommate, big brother on his bed. Of course if big brother hates pictures this may be more intrusive.

Hope he has a great year :auto:.

When oldest went to college we all took him - including his three younger siblings. The youngest clearly made an impression at the university when he set the alarm off by going out the emergency only door:001_smile:. But, then oldest just expected that we'd all go - it helped, esp the youngest who was 3, to see where big bro was going to be staying.

I would ask if he wants them all to come. If it's not what he wants then a party the night before as a send off.

Of course in our family we do things like this together - we also went to the university each year for at least one football game, etc.

Yeah, I will ask him. I think I came up with a better idea though. His youngest sister is having a hard time with it and I was thinking he could give her a stuffed animal to remind him of her - his school mascot. I think that would make her feel better. :D

I'd take them. They don't have to stay in the dorm for very long. But it'll be good for them to see where their brother will be living and just get a "feel" of what college is like.

If he doesn't want them to come I think I will have him skype and show his room and stuff. They would get a kick out of it.

Just piping in to say that I think it is very thoughtful of you to consider the siblings feelings like that. I remember when my brother went off to college' date=' I was so sad. I couldn't get over the fact that my parents just left him there. Seems silly now, but it really upset me at the time.

Maybe if college kid doesn't want the youngers to come along, you could take your camera and take pictures. Big brother at the library, big brother at his desk, big brother with his roommate, big brother on his bed. Of course if big brother hates pictures this may be more intrusive.

Hope he has a great year :auto:.[/quote']

That is a good idea. Lots of pictures. He will be home monthly thank goodness. While this is about him we all love him and it will leave a hole in our lives a bit. Change is hard. :001_smile:

Have you asked the one going to college how he feels about it? He may not mind, or even want them along.

In absence of strong preference on his part...

I'd take them. They don't have to stay in the dorm for very long. But it'll be good for them to see where their brother will be living and just get a "feel" of what college is like.

:iagree:

And, with extra hands to help unload stuff, you'll all be out of his hair even faster :) Realistically, he's got the rest of his life to do what he wants - an extra few hours with his siblings won't change that.

I think you need some cupcake vodka. If I find some I will send some your way. :D

I saw Cake Jack yesterday, which was rum, not vodka, but still broke my brain.