Menu

Recurring canker sores

I keep getting really painful canker sores on my tongue. I feel terrible when I get them (ears hurt, throat hurts, head hurts, sometimes get a fever). Anyone have problems with them and have discovered a solution to make them go away? I feel silly making a dr appt for something that's not really that bad, they just hurt and make me feel run down.

I've had canker sores all my life. They are usually all over my mouth and in the last 10yrs or so they've started going down my throat. I know they're terrible and, depending where it's located, the pain can go into my ears or down my neck. Taking ibuprofen can help dull the pain a little.

I discovered when I went LC that it's food allergies (chocolate and possibly wheat for me). You may want to keep track of what you've been eating and see if anything might be a trigger.

I've had canker sores all my life. They are usually all over my mouth and in the last 10yrs or so they've started going down my throat. I know they're terrible and, depending where it's located, the pain can go into my ears or down my neck. Taking ibuprofen can help dull the pain a little.

I discovered when I went LC that it's food allergies (chocolate and possibly wheat for me). You may want to keep track of what you've been eating and see if anything might be a trigger.

I've kind of been wondering that. I have been eating more chocolate than normal. I also was wondering if maybe my toothpaste was causing it (arm and hammer sensitive). I just read today that toothpaste with sodium laurel sulfate can cause it. I am going to try cutting out the chocolate and switching toothpastes to see if it helps. I feel miserable for a week every time it happens (my third bout this year).

My dd had a pretty big issue with this. We stopped using toothpaste that has SLS in it and she hasn't had an issue since. She's been SLS free for over two years now and has only had probably 2 the entire time. I get them really bad if I use mouth rinse more than once a day...sometimes get them even then.

I get them also. :grouphug: (I also get cold sores on my lips. Just shoot me when I get one of each... :glare:) It helps to figure out your triggers. I know when I've been sick, I'm particularly at risk for sores. Also, acidic foods. And anytime I injure my mouth (a burn, biting my tongue/inside of my lip hard enough to break the skin a little, chapped lips, etc.)

For canker sores, one thing I've found to help me is swishing with hydrogen peroxide. It helps with pain relief and also seems to help them heal quicker. (And as a nice little benefit- it whitens your teeth. :D)

I would definitely work on finding out what triggers them for you. That can make all the difference!

I used to get canker sores bad. Some would get so big they would bleed. And forget drinking OJ or eating spaghetti sauce with one. OUCH! People who don't get them think you are a wimp b/c how badly can such a little thing hurt? :glare: Um yeah, a canker sore freaking HURTS!!

Mine were definitely stress based. Haven't gotten them in years and I never figured out exactly what else triggered them (because it's not like I don't have stress in my life now!!), but definitely stress was a component.

That said, if you aren't opposed to medicines, I got an RX from a doctor years ago for an oral paste to put on the sores. It was grainy and tasted bad, but man, did it heal up those sores! As in, put it on a bad one for a few days, and presto!, it was healed up!

So if the dietary changes don't work, I wouldn't hesitate to see a doctor. This was probably 15 years ago, so by now they probably have even better meds to use. My personal philosophy: Why be in such pain so often when a little goo can heal that sore right up?

HTH,

Christina

So much to try.:tongue_smilie: I ordered SLS free toothpaste which should be here early next week (don't have time to get to the store), will cut out chocolate, citrus (I rarely eat it anyway), will add in more vitamins, and will try L-lysine.

If that doesn't work, I'll call the dr and get something.

I've kind of been wondering that. I have been eating more chocolate than normal. I also was wondering if maybe my toothpaste was causing it (arm and hammer sensitive). I just read today that toothpaste with sodium laurel sulfate can cause it. I am going to try cutting out the chocolate and switching toothpastes to see if it helps. I feel miserable for a week every time it happens (my third bout this year).

Yes, I forgot about the toothpaste. I use Rembrandt canker relief toothpaste. I have to order it from Drugstore.com