Menu

Hair dye- leave it to the professionals or do it myself?

I've dyed my hair myself since I was 14 - never had any problems whatsoever. Lately I've been using the super cheap $3 hair dye from Target, and I actually have been happier with that than with the Loreal I was paying $9 for. I think the brand is Colorsilk, but I'm not sure. Make sure you get something that specifically mentions good coverage over gray hair, because gray hair is more resistant to coloring than regular hair. Also, if you're using permanent dye (which is what I always use) you might want to go a shade lighter than what you initially hope for, because if you don't care for it, you can always go darker next time - if you go too dark, you're stuck with that unless you want to strip your hair, and believe me, you do NOT want to do that!

Good luck!

Everyone I know does it themselves. If you can afford to have it done professionally, then it might be a good time to try it on your own. You can always go have them fix it.

If you've got a friend to help you out the first time, that *could* be a good idea. As long as it's someone you trust!

I recently took the plunge to do it myself. It was scary - but it should be easier for you because you have an older DD that would help right? the rinsing part is the hard one for me, mainly because it involves a contortionist move on my part. It's messy though......

I'm pretty happy with it - in fact, i need to do it again before my big trip next week.

Gee, really, i'm not following you around :lol:

My hair really needs to be dyed, but it's so pricey and pricey for the upkeep. I was thinking of doing it myself but I have never done anything like that and I am scared LOL.

What do you think?

The answer to this question is dependent on a few things. I used to dye my own hair because I didn't feel I could justify paying someone else to do it. :) Unfortunately, my hair turns very brassy when I put on boxed color. It tends to turn very orang-y... so don't love it. I found someone who does not charge and arm & a leg and I just do an all over color. I don't color it very often, maybe 4 times/year. If you start adding highlights & lowlights, etc. the price will definitely increase.

I've been using L'Oreal Superior Preference, "medium golden brown" for several years. Any other brand doesn't cover the gray, and anything with red turns brassy on me. The "golden" comes out as lighter brownish highlights on my gray.

I've had friends from work ask which stylist did it, and even she says that it looks like a professional did it (she's not offended either)!

But my mom does it herself with no big issues. There are times that we can tell that she's done it and not done a good job at it. But we're family. I don't know if anyone else can tell or not. Besides she takes 2 colors and mixes them herself - blond and red. Sometimes it's more red. Sometimes it's more blond.

Ordinarily, I would say do it yourself. I use a semi-permanent color and it is pretty easy. But, if you have hair the length it shows in your pic I would suggest going professional. It can be difficult to get long hair to come out good yourself. It may come out uneven in places. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, buy two boxes of the same dye or you will not have enough for your long hair.

I color my hair to hide the grey, too. The first time I needed color, I had it done professionally and then went to the beauty supply and asked them for the same color. I use Wella Color Charm Liquid Creme Haircolor that I mix with a creme developer. I use the light brown color which is a shade or two lighter than my natural hair.

The Wella package says it is for professional use only but it is so simple and I just do the roots in the front of my head, (I don't do the back). Twice a year I talk my dh or gf into helping do my whole head. The first time I tried it I had to buy gloves, a squeeze bottle and a special brush but it was still way cheaper than having it done.

My grey comes back fast, within 6 weeks, and I just can't imagine going to the hairdresser that often.

Thanks everyone! I went and got my hair cut today and I spoke to her @ my apparent hair loss, which I am working on with my Dr, so she cut @ 3 inches off my length but said to wait until things settle down before trying a dye. So I am waiting and greying more :D