Menu

Can I really do this?

So, my ds should finish his last class within the week. Second kid graduates! YAY! I made it through homeschooling two kids all the way through. We have some regrets, but many more blessings. Homeschooling was a success, for each kid, in his/her own way.

So why on earth am I feeling, with three bright kids starting, such FEAR? I keep telling myself it is unfounded. We're doing a very WTM-inspired course of action with gentle go-with-the-flow dancing throughout. Seriously, don't think we could go wrong there. The kids are capable learners. The first one loves a challenge and steps up to every one put in front of her. The second one scares me to death. He is scary smart, but an Eeyore of sorts. He shuts down at the first thought of a challenge. The third is definitely a free spirit; but we have so much time and he is already "ahead" so I don't feel the need to push him by any stretch.

I definitely feel homeschooling is best for us. The primary reason is attachment for my littles with pretty significant attachment disorder (which most certainly has been exasperated by them being in school). The secondary reason is because they have NO respect for a motherly role (we have never heard ONE story about their first mom because she was so unavailable though home all day every day with them....she wasn't the one that fed them, did caregiving, protected them, anything). The third reason is because our religion *is* different. School focuses on the very things we shun. Since we homeschooled the first time around, I never knew how much we "don't do." Even with the 6yo having a perfectly respectful and helpful teacher (she and kid handled everything; I didn't step in at all), I was uncomfy. And then we have the typical reasons for homeschooling: academics (especially individuality, pacing, broadness, etc), socialization, family, physical activity, "being kids," etc.

Anyway, so I want to homeschool them. I think it is best for them as well as our family. I'm just scared.

Then we're having trouble starting. First the adoption-related behaviors kinda put a halt to trying much schoolishness (my kids jumped off the deep end, basically; but they are coming around). Now I have pneumonia (today was to be our start date). We have some appointments and special occasions within the next two weeks so I've basically decided we're kinda limited, just take it easy, maybe. So I'm worried that between fear, behavior, and circumstance, we won't get a good rhythm going. Ever.

And then I tell myself that that is silly. I have set myself up for success. Behaviors ARE going to slow us down sometimes. That is a PLUS to homeschooling, that we can address the behaviors and what is behind them. And life IS going to happen, but there are 365 days per year. Certainly we can homeschool at least half of them! And no one on earth is going to judge us for not homeschooling in August!

See, I just keep going back and forth. It's 1st, Kindy, and preK! I need to relax a little! It'll be fine!

And then the fear monster rears her ugly head again....

It's 1st, kindy, and pre-k. Relax! Get healthy, first, and the rest will happen. It's not the end of the world if you don't start until Sept. I'm sure the whole starting over from the beginning is overwhelming, but remember, at these ages, it's more important to have fun. You can do this, you have done this, and you will be great!

How about putting off the WTM stuff until September,a nd using this month for other things? I'm thinking learning about family roles, with lots of read alouds about families that "work". (maybe even Little House on the Prairie type books?). Also, on health/sickness/etc. So learn about what pneumonia is, what the lungs are, healthy air, etc. Do read alouds about children that were adopted. Make get well cards. Then roll into the ohter stuff in September.

It's probably just the idea of starting again when you spent time thinking the season was almost at an end. You'll be fine!

That would be it if I was facing this. When we started homeschooling, we never thought about how many years it would take- we just jumped in. But now you KNOW all that stuff. And it can be overwhelming. You'll be great!