Menu

Dumb question of the day: If I made homemade spaghetti sauce do I have to freeze ...

the extra.

I have lots of canning jars, but can't do a hot water bath canner on my crappy glass top stove. I do have a Food saver with the jar attachment.

If I vacuum seal the cooled sauce in jars must I put them in the freezer, or can I leave them on the shelf?

What if I put the hot sauce in the jars and let them seal themselves essentially by cooling off on the counter before I store them. I've found that if I screw on the lids while the food is still hot it vacuums itself.

I have the freezer space but thawing stuff for dinner is not a strong suit of mine. I always forget to take stuff out in the morning or the night before.

Oh and lastly this is just basic tomato sauce, no meat or anything. Just onion, garlic, tomato and spices.

I freeze my extra spaghetti sauce in Ziploc bags.

Even if I forget to set it out to thaw, you can put the frozen sauce in a bowl of hot water to get it soft enough to dump into a saucepan on the stove. Turn it on low/medium heat, put a lid on the pot, and your sauce will be thawed and bubbling in thirty minutes.

I think the sauce that's frozen and thawed tastes better than my fresh made stuff. I think the spices and everything get bolder. :001_smile:

the extra.

I have lots of canning jars, but can't do a hot water bath canner on my crappy glass top stove. I do have a Food saver with the jar attachment.

I have used my water bath canner on 2 different glass topped stoves several times. I have never had a problem.

If I vacuum seal the cooled sauce in jars must I put them in the freezer, or can I leave them on the shelf?

I wouldn't leave them on the shelf. The water bath is to kill the bacteria in the food as well as to help seal the jars.

What if I put the hot sauce in the jars and let them seal themselves essentially by cooling off on the counter before I store them. I've found that if I screw on the lids while the food is still hot it vacuums itself.

I don't think this would be safe either for the same reason as above.

I have the freezer space but thawing stuff for dinner is not a strong suit of mine. I always forget to take stuff out in the morning or the night before.

Frozen spaghetti sauce can be thawed in cold water or the microwave fairly quickly. I freeze mine in freezer bags and then run under cool water until thawed enough to get out of the bag. Then I put it in a pan with a lid on it and it gets hot pretty quickly. If I am in a real rush, I will microwave it.

Oh and lastly this is just basic tomato sauce, no meat or anything. Just onion, garlic, tomato and spices.

JMO,

Joy

Is your water bath a flat bottom one and if so where did you get it. My stove says I can use one but only if it's a flat bottom one and I've not had any luck finding one.

It doesn't have a flat bottom. It is just one I bought at Wal-Mart. Could you just buy a big flat bottomed stock pot and use a canning insert for a water bath?

It doesn't have a flat bottom. It is just one I bought at Wal-Mart. Could you just buy a big flat bottomed stock pot and use a canning insert for a water bath?

Thanks for the info, I've seen some that have a bit of a rippled bottom (for lack of a better term) is that how yours is? I may just give that a try sometime. For this batch I think I'll just bag and freeze.

On a real positive note, my kids loved the sauce, I've tried 4 other recipes and they always hated it. Tonight my oldest son told me the sauce tasted like I pulled it from heaven. That's really made my day!

Thanks for the info, I've seen some that have a bit of a rippled bottom (for lack of a better term) is that how yours is? I may just give that a try sometime. For this batch I think I'll just bag and freeze.

On a real positive note, my kids loved the sauce, I've tried 4 other recipes and they always hated it. Tonight my oldest son told me the sauce tasted like I pulled it from heaven. That's really made my day!

Will you share the recipe?

Will you share the recipe?

Sure

1 onion

2-3 cloves of garlic

2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes

1 28 oz can of tomato sauce

4 6oz cans of tomato paste

2tsp dried basil

1tsp dried oregano

2 tsp dried parsley

2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

up to 1/4 cup sugar

I put a couple tbsp olive oil in a pan and cooked the onions and garlic over medium low heat until the onions were clear. Then I added all the tomato products and spices except for the sugar. Mixed it all and then turned it to medium heat and boiled it for about 10 minutes. Then I added the sugar until it tasted right (I used about 1/4 cup but hope to lessen this over time or to maybe add some grated carrot to sweeten it instead of just sugar) Then I turned it to the lowest setting on my stove and simmered it for 1 hr stirring occasionally.

The spices can all be adjusted to taste and you could add meat if you wanted or extra veggies. It was really thick sauce so you could add some water to thin it a bit if you wanted to, we like it really thick so you don't need a ton to coat the noodles. I haven't packed it all up but I used my 5.5qt pot and it filled it to about 1" from the top. I'm sure you could make it in a crock pot too if you had to be away from home, just cook up the onions and garlic and then add all the other stuff put it on low and let it cook away for the day.

I use this one. It has a totally flat bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Collection-Stainless-Steel-21-Quart-Waterbath/dp/B001XW61B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344037617&sr=8-1&keywords=ball+stainless+steel+water+bath+canner

It's pricey compared to the granite ones but it doesn't rust and it also works well as a large soup/stock pot.

As far as canning your sauce, I wouldn't recommend it. To safely can, you have to have a product below a certain PH. Between the oil, garlic and onions, you have no way to determine the level of your product. That is why they only say to use approved recipes such as those found in the Ball canning book.