Menu

How do you schedule Killgallon?

I just bought Grammar for Middle School (sentence composing) from Killgallon but I'm not sure how to schedule it. How many days a week do you do it? Does anyone do it orally?

We also have KISS and Easy Grammar that we'll be working through too.

I just bought Grammar for Middle School (sentence composing) from Killgallon but I'm not sure how to schedule it. How many days a week do you do it? Does anyone do it orally?

We also have KISS and Easy Grammar that we'll be working through too.

We used to do one section/day, along with our usual grammar and writing. However, it would be only one exercise so it rarely took more than 10 min. After a while we cut it back to 2-3/week as they were using what they learned in it. It's also a good book for when you are having "one of those days" where you cant fit everything in, but you want the dc to do *something*. Hth!

You can do 2-3 pages at a time once or twice a week and still finish it in a year. Divisions between exercises are clear, so it's usually pretty easy to see when it makes sense to start and stop, even if it isn't divided into numbered "lessons".

There are certain exercises you could do orally, but overall I think the student *needs* to write down the sentences (particularly any original ones rather than the ones that are simply rearrangements of given elements) in order to get the most from the program. I would say that it's not a great fit for oral work most of the time. That said, even doing 2-3 pages at a sitting, you'll be writing about 5-10 sentences at the very most. The emphasis is on writing thoughtfully constructed sentences, not massive quantities.

That is helpful. Thanks.

I think we'll plan on doing the Easy Grammar 5X/wk, Killgallon 2X/wk and KISS 2X/wk. Seems like each program only takes about 10 min. so doing 2/day shouldn't be an issue. :001_smile:

I ended up with 62 days of work the way I scheduled it out. My theory is 2 days a week, and I didn't want to do it in long stretches, lest it all be forgotten. I think I found kind of a rhythm to the chapters. They follow the same format except for the last exercise in alternating chapters, where it toggles between creative and regular. I skipped the creative, as it was too open-ended for my student. So the pattern was something like:

intro explanation, exercise 1

exercise2,3

exercise 4,5

Occasionally there's a review lesson in there. But with that progress it's 62 days of work. I suppose it would have been easier just to do a tiny section daily, duh.

There are certain exercises you could do orally, but overall I think the student *needs* to write down the sentences (particularly any original ones rather than the ones that are simply rearrangements of given elements) in order to get the most from the program. I would say that it's not a great fit for oral work most of the time.

I think this really depends on the child. I've used two of the Killgallon books with a student who has a big discrepancy between her cognitive ability and her physical writing ability. I allowed her to orally dictate the sentences to me, and she still internalized the patterns.

In fact, DH last week showed a short story DD is currently working on to a friend who has written a series of successful sci fi novels. DH's friend specifically commented on how well DD's sentences were structured. I attribute that to all the Killgallon work.

I schedule with my primary grammar book. I make sure that we study all of the same thing as much as possible. So, all parts of speech that are the focus in Killgallon will be spread across so that they fit with the POS that is being studied in the grammar.

We do not write in the book. All sentences are written too. Nothing is oral. I believe that the pattern is more imprinted by the physical and visual interaction - writing and seeing.