Menu

I have to admit the public option of k12 is...

Mandylubug

tempting. However, it is only because I want a box full of curriculum and goodies to arrive at my doorstep for free :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have no desire to try to do it all for four kids and to be accountable to the state.

Yeah, wouldn't a "free" delivery be so much fun? :D But the true cost is too much for me (loss of freedom).

tempting. However, it is only because I want a box full of curriculum and goodies to arrive at my doorstep for free :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have no desire to try to do it all for four kids and to be accountable to the state.

We used k12 at the beginning of last yr for K. We started in August and dropped out the 1st week of September. It was not for us. All those teacher conference calls and Internet chats got VERY old. We dropped Out due to moving, but we would have done it anyway over Xmas break.

We used k12 at the beginning of last yr for K. We started in August and dropped out the 1st week of September. It was not for us. All those teacher conference calls and Internet chats got VERY old. We dropped Out due to moving, but we would have done it anyway over Xmas break.

I can't imagine how four kids would be logged in at once for those teacher led times.. especially since our state only provides one computer per family....

K12 is operates differently from region to region. I needed that "no thoughts" box to arrive on my door step. I work 20-30 hrs. a week and no longer have the time to create my own curriculum path.

We saw DD's 3rd grade teacher twice and talked on the phone a few times. We opted out of the online classes--no time for that. This year I am adding to the K12 offering, supplementing geography, math, grammar, and science with a few extras--nothing major just rounding out what they send.

I am not sure what people mean when they say "loss of freedom?" I still do what I want. K12 saves me the hassle of mapping out a course of study as a working mom. Sometimes accountability is a good thing.

I think the loss of freedom is not being able to toss out something when its just not working. Being held accountable to someone else too.

We've been with cyberschools for one year or another during our homeschooling journey and there has been times I'd just like to throw out the subject because its one working well for my child. For instance K12's new math is AWFUL with a capital A. But you still need to go on, do the assessments and if your using something else instead it may not line up with their assessments anyways.

I know last year the reading didn't click with my youngest for some reason. Two years before it worked well up to a certain point for my third child and I finally had to stop and take out my 100 EZ lessons to get her up and reading again.

K12 also makes you start with the grade your child would be in. So if you have an advanced student you are wasting tons of time going through assessments to get them to where they should be. Did this last year with my daughter. She got bored really fast doing it that way.

Or if you have a child that is behind. I had this problem with my 2nd daughter. She did well with all the subjects BUT math. She needed to be put in a grade lower but they would not do it. She struggles with math and its not her all time favorite subject. And to get them to change , well they wouldn't. They just would say that they could work slower, but then when they weren't meeting objectives then they would complain they weren't where they should have been.

So maybe this is what people are referring to. Not being able to make your own decisions and your own choices concerning where your children should be. If anything I know our K12 claims to be flexible in their commercials but they are anything BUT flexible.

K12 is operates differently from region to region. I needed that "no thoughts" box to arrive on my door step. I work 20-30 hrs. a week and no longer have the time to create my own curriculum path.

We saw DD's 3rd grade teacher twice and talked on the phone a few times. We opted out of the online classes--no time for that. This year I am adding to the K12 offering, supplementing geography, math, grammar, and science with a few extras--nothing major just rounding out what they send.

I am not sure what people mean when they say "loss of freedom?" I still do what I want. K12 saves me the hassle of mapping out a course of study as a working mom. Sometimes accountability is a good thing.

For clarity's sake:

If you buy K12 on your own, it's the same everywhere.

The differences will be there because of the cyber charter school's policies, based on state requirements for public schools. IOW, it isn't that *K12* operates differently from region to region; it's that the *public school requirments* differ from region to region.

And sure you can do what you want...as long as you only want what the public school requires.

loss of freedom would refer to the public school option of k12. In the state of GA if we miss 5 scheduled school days we are truant. It doesn't matter that they make up the assignments, etc. We are still harassed for that October family vacation by letters and phone calls.

Loss of freedom would also pertain to specific curriculum changes for a kinesthetic child. You have to use the materials provided. I could add my MCT for grammar but it would have to be in addition to their curricula.

Loss of freedom would also refer to the ability to fully customize my curriculum to meet the needs of the child. For instance my 10 year old is on a 6th grade reading level, fourth grade spelling level, 3rd grade math level... One size fits all doesn't apply to children such as mine that have such large level gaps in certain areas of study. To require a child to be squeezed into their public school standards would be a loss of freedom.

Well I'm not a fan of it, but if you work at it it *can* be a little better than public school. Though, if it were more than one kid it is a LOT of logging time.

Unless you use it independently of course. I hear some of the courses such as history are good.

Edited by 425lisamarie

Well I'm not a fan of it, but if you work at it it *can* be a little better than public school. Though, if it were more than one kid it is a LOT of logging time.

Unless you use it independently of course. I hear some of the courses such as history are good.

Their history follows the Core Knowledge Series fairly closely. Last year we used k12's 2nd grade LA independently and I noticed that many of the books, stories, and time periods we were reading were coinciding with our history curriculum. I use BCP for history, which is free, but also follows the Core Knowledge Series. So I looked up k12's history sequence and, yep, it followed it pretty closely - made me glad I didn't pay for the k12 history component.

As for k12 itself: it made my ds totally hate language arts and I imagine I'll be spending much of this year back-pedaling to get him to enjoy school again. We were drowned in worksheets and even though we did most of them orally it was just too much for us.

With 4 kids you would get burried alive in all the worksheets. I did K12 for a year and a couple of months. I only had one kid and the paper was crazy!

With 4 kids you would get burried alive in all the worksheets. I did K12 for a year and a couple of months. I only had one kid and the paper was crazy!

I've used k12 both through a VA and independently and if your buried in paperwork your doing do much. I have literally had years where the only work sheet done was the work sample we turned in and the rest was orally. I supplement a lot, I've been known to swap out things and just mark it off. I won't use their phonics works and use Headsprout instead, I mark off art and have the kids do something like mark kistler drawing because they don't need 9years of art history and it covers the same thing every year. I've been known to use a brainpop episode or 2 to cover the same materials in science and history. I teach to the objectives and if the teacher has a problem with that we are happy to change teachers, yes, we actually had a teacher who was beyond controlling and flipped out that I wasnt using strictly k12 materials. Admin agreed with me and gave us a new teacher and she was great! We're moving out of state and I'll be putting both kids in the k12 VA there and already spoke to admin there and teachers and they are cool with my methods as well. It's just a matter to making sure you have a good fit and knowing your way around, as long as you teach to the objective and the kid can pass the test at the end of the lesson they really don't care how you got there.