Menu

Using Math U See videos simply as videos. Ridiculous or reasonable?

We did this with Epsilon and Zeta this yr for dd 6th grade. All the topics were review, but she was able to get a more conceptual view than the formulaic way things are taught in CLE.

She liked the dvds okay (which is saying a lot because she hates math.) I actually enjoyed them too-Steve Demme is kind of humorous.

I don't know anything about the lower levels, but this was the right thing at the right time for us.

I think a visual child would probably like them. I am visual and so is dd, and it seemed to cement the topics.

Sorry this is rambling!

I am happily using R&S, but we will be using the MUS DVDs that I already have (beta, gamma) to help with concepts.

Glad to know someone else is doing it. I don't own any though. Would love for someone to come along and sell me the whole DVD set...although I wouldn't mind having the TMs also and that seems to be how most people sell MUS.

We do this- I use the videos with Saxon. I do have the teachers manual also, and refer to it if I need extra ideas.

Thank you! Now to find someone who can sell me the whole kit and caboodle!

different than the Crewton Ramone's free videos? How are they different? Does anyone know?

Is it more sequential? Is it more thorough than Crewton Ramone's or the ones on Mortensen math?

I do not know about Mortenson but I am not so much a CR fan. CR does say that Steve Demme and Math U See follow a traditional sequence, so yes, I believe MUS would be more sequential. CR meant it as a dig though, commenting that you won't see preschoolers doing algebra.

I will say if you are going to do this that you really NEED the blocks. Seeing it on the TV, and working with the blocks in front of them is what makes it magic.

(I do have a printable set I made on my blog until you found some, or if you put magnets on them on a board.... but the blocks are better)

In saxon, they have daily drill sheets, and any math facts my son doesn't finish in the morning gets completed on the floor with his MUS blocks. He builds the ones he doesn't get right away, every single time. So they do come in handy.

I could see MUS working really well with MM too.

I will say if you are going to do this that you really NEED the blocks. Seeing it on the TV, and working with the blocks in front of them is what makes it magic.

(I do have a printable set I made on my blog until you found some, or if you put magnets on them on a board.... but the blocks are better)

In saxon, they have daily drill sheets, and any math facts my son doesn't finish in the morning gets completed on the floor with his MUS blocks. He builds the ones he doesn't get right away, every single time. So they do come in handy.

I could see MUS working really well with MM too.

Thanks! Will definitely invest in the blocks. I will stick with Singapore though, for my own sanity and because it has served us so well. Plus, DS6 really likes it.

($15 for six months) and I am enjoying it very much.

For those who don;t know Mortensen Math =Crewton Ramone....but it looks to me that Crewton Ramone is cheaper and easier to access. Mortensen doesn't have a straightforward website with prices and ordering form and a whole lotta of STUFF on their page. It makes my head spin more than Crewton Ramone's page.

Yes the blocks definitely are a definite must and I am using the Math U See blocks for them. They are exactly the same it seems.

We dumped Math U See years ago with my 18yrs old son because it was just the same thing over and over again. We weren't moving forward and I would have had to buy the next level up which means more money and I didn;t have any after that initial purchase . He and I were bored to tears. My son would have jived more with Crewton's/Mortensen's game of Having a Party than the train making thing that Steve Demme uses. Oh well. I wished I had played with the blocks more with my son than just follow Demme's video. I think Crewton and Education Unboxed has opened the doors to how to "play" with the blocks more. Gosh nearly 18yrs later, still playing with the same blocks. AmAZing!

So with Crewton --in one day I have introduced the kids to the long division, percentages, fractions, factoring polynomials etc. They like it and it is fun for them. You should see the designs and buildings they make out of these blocks. The littles get a kick that they are getting factoring polynomials faster than their older sibs who has suffered through the public school textbook ways.

Does anyone know why Steve Demme broke away from Mortensen/Crewton Ramone?

Anyways I nearly cried watching the Crewton videos because after so many years I finally get what on earth I was doing in algebra. And I am one who got an A in Calculus and Discrete Math in College.

So basically with the password you get all the information after fractions. If you go to the website he gives addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions videos all free and if you want more such as percentages and algebra/precalculus then you need the passwords. There are a lot of extra pdf worksheets with the passwords.

I think Crewton's videos/screenomatics are difficult to organize because he has some on Myspace, Facebook, blog and then on his website and of course you tube and it is in no specific order. We have blocked MySpace and Facebook from our house so I wonder how many videos we are missing.

Crewton does speak fast at times but at least we can rewind the videos to watch over and over. I do like how he encourages the kids and he uses speak that a lot of teenagers can relate with. I also like how Rosie teaches her kids as well. If I were to put in a Steve Demme video now with my teenagers after they have been in public school they would 1)fall asleep or 2) throw it at me.

So in one sense I understand how Math U See can be appealing as it is very sequential and with a lot of repetitious plain black and white worksheets with lots of space to write answers in but then I also like to be able to teach my kids a little faster and with more variety without a bunch of cumbersome dvds/vhs lying around. I also like being able to introduce them to the mathemathical vocabulary/terms (in algebra) earlier on so they don;t freak out when they get older.

My main thing I really like is my kids can see how preschoolers can learn these concepts as easily as they can. It challenges them more. I don;t hear this from them as much "but we don;t need to learn this until we are in 8th grade or whatever or its too hard" after seeing Crewton's kids learn algebra, percents, rations. I plan to continue on with our regular mainstay curriculum but this is extra stuff to help supplement. We have been doing Key to fractions/decimals with a little of Saxon 54 and BJU 5 and they were still unclear with fractions until watching these videos.

Anyways, I would love to get my hands on Crewton's website and help him streamline his information or help build a flowchart for the newbies because sometimes I feel like I am swimming in a gigantic pool and can;t tell which way I am heading or going in circles.

Any other thoughts?

• Like 1

($15 for six months) and I am enjoying it very much.

For those who don;t know Mortensen Math =Crewton Ramone....but it looks to me that Crewton Ramone is cheaper and easier to access. Mortensen doesn't have a straightforward website with prices and ordering form and a whole lotta of STUFF on their page. It makes my head spin more than Crewton Ramone's page.

Yes the blocks definitely are a definite must and I am using the Math U See blocks for them. They are exactly the same it seems.

We dumped Math U See years ago with my 18yrs old son because it was just the same thing over and over again. We weren't moving forward and I would have had to buy the next level up which means more money and I didn;t have any after that initial purchase . He and I were bored to tears. My son would have jived more with Crewton's/Mortensen's game of Having a Party than the train making thing that Steve Demme uses. Oh well. I wished I had played with the blocks more with my son than just follow Demme's video. I think Crewton and Education Unboxed has opened the doors to how to "play" with the blocks more. Gosh nearly 18yrs later, still playing with the same blocks. AmAZing!

So with Crewton --in one day I have introduced the kids to the long division, percentages, fractions, factoring polynomials etc. They like it and it is fun for them. You should see the designs and buildings they make out of these blocks. The littles get a kick that they are getting factoring polynomials faster than their older sibs who has suffered through the public school textbook ways.

Does anyone know why Steve Demme broke away from Mortensen/Crewton Ramone?

Anyways I nearly cried watching the Crewton videos because after so many years I finally get what on earth I was doing in algebra. And I am one who got an A in Calculus and Discrete Math in College.

So basically with the password you get all the information after fractions. If you go to the website he gives addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions videos all free and if you want more such as percentages and algebra/precalculus then you need the passwords. There are a lot of extra pdf worksheets with the passwords.

I think Crewton's videos/screenomatics are difficult to organize because he has some on Myspace, Facebook, blog and then on his website and of course you tube and it is in no specific order. We have blocked MySpace and Facebook from our house so I wonder how many videos we are missing.

Crewton does speak fast at times but at least we can rewind the videos to watch over and over. I do like how he encourages the kids and he uses speak that a lot of teenagers can relate with. I also like how Rosie teaches her kids as well. If I were to put in a Steve Demme video now with my teenagers after they have been in public school they would 1)fall asleep or 2) throw it at me.

So in one sense I understand how Math U See can be appealing as it is very sequential and with a lot of repetitious plain black and white worksheets with lots of space to write answers in but then I also like to be able to teach my kids a little faster and with more variety without a bunch of cumbersome dvds/vhs lying around. I also like being able to introduce them to the mathemathical vocabulary/terms (in algebra) earlier on so they don;t freak out when they get older.

My main thing I really like is my kids can see how preschoolers can learn these concepts as easily as they can. It challenges them more. I don;t hear this from them as much "but we don;t need to learn this until we are in 8th grade or whatever or its too hard" after seeing Crewton's kids learn algebra, percents, rations. I plan to continue on with our regular mainstay curriculum but this is extra stuff to help supplement. We have been doing Key to fractions/decimals with a little of Saxon 54 and BJU 5 and they were still unclear with fractions until watching these videos.

Anyways, I would love to get my hands on Crewton's website and help him streamline his information or help build a flowchart for the newbies because sometimes I feel like I am swimming in a gigantic pool and can;t tell which way I am heading or going in circles.

Any other thoughts?

Well, I have no interest in switching our curriculum to MUS. I was solely interested in the videos. MUS being sequential and organized is very attractive to me and, of course, there is nothing to prevent me from showing the more advanced videos out of order.

I get a visceral negative reaction to CR and it has nothing to do with how fast he talks. (I actually like that, as I am a fast talker/processor myself and tend towards getting frustrated with slow speech and excessive pausing.) I think my distaste most likely stems from his rebel with a cause vibe with a side of smug satisfaction. I don't know...he and I are just not a match. I had a copy of the MUS Primer video, so I familiar with Demme's style and think it would suit my kids just fine--my oldest for sure.

I am glad his site and videos are helpful to so many, though. :)

Mortensen math to sell their products many many years ago.

So maybe he has a little/a lot of that salesman talk going on when he does his videos.

He actually sounds like my ex stepfather who is a physics and astronomy professor and was a nuclear physicist. So it is kind of a blast from the past listening to him as I remember my ex stepfather drilling his three years old son who is now 24 yrs old and getting a PHD in Aeronautic Enginneering at UC Davis.

Anyways yes I suppose it could get annoying for some but found the password cheaper than Math U See at this point. I do think it is helpful for my kids to see his kids learning too at the same time. I dont; remember steve demme's videos having kids learning in there too. Gosh it has been so long. Perhaps he revamped the videos. I just remember falling asleep watching his videos.

My kids find Crewton and kids hilarous. Interesting!

We can agree on one thing...we will stick with Singapore too and use the videos from whoever to supplement!!!

I get a visceral negative reaction to CR and it has nothing to do with how fast he talks. (I actually like that, as I am a fast talker/processor myself and tend towards getting frustrated with slow speech and excessive pausing.) I think my distaste most likely stems from his rebel with a cause vibe with a side of smug satisfaction. I don't know...he and I are just not a match.

I love your idea of using the MUS videos as a supplement.

Regarding Ben/CR...

After spending a fair amount of time with him and his boys in Hawaii, I have a much better understanding of his personality and where he gets that 'vibe' that you mentioned. He has quite a backstory. I know he rubs some folks the wrong way.

He's been 'playing math' with my girls via google chat. They enjoy him and his out-of-the-box thinking.

Glad to hear others are learning from his methodology. I bought his blocks to make it easier for my girls to do math with him online. The MUS blocks & C-rods have received a lot of mileage around here over the last few months thanks to MUS, CR & Rosie. These manipulative-based programs can be used with other math materials. It's ok to mix & match. :)

• 3 years later...

I love your idea of using the MUS videos as a supplement.

Regarding Ben/CR...

After spending a fair amount of time with him and his boys in Hawaii, I have a much better understanding of his personality and where he gets that 'vibe' that you mentioned. He has quite a backstory. I know he rubs some folks the wrong way.

He's been 'playing math' with my girls via google chat. They enjoy him and his out-of-the-box thinking.

Glad to hear others are learning from his methodology. I bought his blocks to make it easier for my girls to do math with him online. The MUS blocks & C-rods have received a lot of mileage around here over the last few months thanks to MUS, CR & Rosie. These manipulative-based programs can be used with other math materials. It's ok to mix & match. :)

So did you end up buying the Mortensen Math curriculum or did you just use it as a supplement? If so, what did you use as a spine?