Menu

Algebra 1. Looking for online or video courses.

I have a very bright 13 year old going into Algebra 1. This will be his first yr homeschooling and I am in no way ready to teach this course myself.

I would love recs for an online or video course with an instructor who grades and answers questions. He hopes to go into Marine Biology in the future, so I know how important it is to pick a solid math program.

We used Chalkdust for Algebra 1. I really liked the textbook and the real-world applications. The instructor is available to answer questions if you purchase through them, but we never needed to contact him. I never felt we needed the extra help because the solutions manual is very thorough and I only had trouble understanding the solutions to two of the problems all year. The downsides are that it is very pricey and you have to figure out scheduling on your own.

We used Derek Owens for Physics in 9th grade. He also offers all high school math classes. I recommend him. You can get a good idea about his classes by looking at the sample lectures and student notes at his website. He also has some videos on youtube. Here is a link to the tagged threads.

HTH!

My son has taken geometry, algebra 2, and physics with Derek. He'll be continuing with pre-calc this year. I can't say enough wonderful things about Derek's math classes. And I love that he handles the grading and answers ds' questions directly (and quickly) and generates grade reports throughout the year and gives a full report with comments for the end of the year...

We're going to use khan academy. It has online videos and practice problems, and it's free. I'm not certain how rigorous it is compared to other programs, but the local science-focused charter school is switching over to khan, so they must feel it's a solid program. My son has used khan some already and liked it enough to pick it for algebra.

We used Chalkdust for Algebra 1. I really liked the textbook and the real-world applications. The instructor is available to answer questions if you purchase through them, but we never needed to contact him. I never felt we needed the extra help because the solutions manual is very thorough and I only had trouble understanding the solutions to two of the problems all year. The downsides are that it is very pricey and you have to figure out scheduling on your own.

some links may be old.....

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=351468