Menu

God bless mothers of big families

I have 3 kids of my own ages 8,5, and 4. We live in an average size 1400 sq ft home. Tonight my bff's 5 kids are spending the night. They are 9,7,5,3, and 1. We just did dinner.

How do you all do this? The noise alone:willy_nilly:

I grew up in a family of 7 kids and I always have 6-7 kids around here. Eventually everything falls into it's routine. I have learned to step out of the house for a breath or two every little bit and to kick the kids outside LOTS. The life saving thing though, is routine. Once everything falls into a routine, the noise level seems a little more liveable.

I have no clue if everyone's got shoes on or not.
I asked if my dc had shoes on when they were outside tonight and the resounding chorus of replies was, "YES!!" Well, my 2yos came in wearing heels from my closet. :D At least he was in the back yard and not the front where neighbors could see him and wonder...

So, they older seven watched a movie while the one year old went to sleep. Now it's 10:53 and everyone is asleep, except for the oldest two boys watching something in the living room. Suddenly, in the silence, two minutes worth of fireworks go off. REALLY!?! The baby is stirring... I could kill someone outside.

So, they older seven watched a movie while the one year old went to sleep. Now it's 10:53 and everyone is asleep, except for the oldest two boys watching something in the living room. Suddenly, in the silence, two minutes worth of fireworks go off. REALLY!?! The baby is stirring... I could kill someone outside.

:lol: Yep, that is exactly how it almost always happens.:glare::tongue_smilie:

I'm an introvert married to an introvert, and we have four children. Yeah, it's loud. And sometimes that grates on my nerves.

I take moments like those as opportunities to remind myself that it could be deathly quiet. There could be no children at all. That generally adjusts my attitude from "could they pleaaaase be quiet for a bit" to "I love the sound of happily playing siblings" pretty quickly. And if it doesn't, it's usually a sign that I need a nap. :)

I take moments like those as opportunities to remind myself that it could be deathly quiet. There could be no children at all. That generally adjusts my attitude from "could they pleaaaase be quiet for a bit" to "I love the sound of happily playing siblings" pretty quickly.
I was in a van with a friend and her 5 dc plus my own 4 dc. The noise level got a bit high and I turned to tell them to pipe down when my friend said something that rocked my nice, quiet world: "Listen...those are happy sounds - sounds of laughter rather than fighting, sounds of being together rather than lonely silence." I am still so thankful for her intervention as I have repeated her words many times in the years since then.