Menu

help BJU accredited 9th grade dvd

Has anyone used the accredited version of the BJU distance learning? I am considering it this year for 9th grade. I need an "out of the box" curriculum because I dont even know where to start putting one together myself. I used the 8th grade hard drive version last year, but I am very nervous about the highschool transcript, that is why I am considering the accredited version. I am just wanting to know what all is involved, what do I need to send in, etc. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Are you SURE it is accredited? I don't think it is.

ETA: Curriculum is never accredited. Only schools are accredited.

This is what I was thinking too. If BJU has an accredited program, it's news to me. They offer BJU Academy of Home Education which will keep transcripts, report cards, and grade high school research papers, but it is not accredited.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/content/ahe-high-school

They do have a program that allows high school students to earn college credits from BJUP, but I don't know how many of those would transfer should your student choose to attend another college. Info here http://www.bju.edu/bjuonline/high-school

Another thought, are you asking for classes that are accredited, meaning the school maintains your grades and transcript, or are you asking for help in choosing programs that you don't have to put together yourself? If you use curriculum like BJU subjects, you can build your own transcript.

I'm using an online accredited school called The Keystone School. As other people are saying, it's not the work itself that is accredited. My ds16 is a student at this school. They send him the textbooks and he does his work online. He has a teacher for each course that answers his questions and grades his work. He'll graduate with a diploma. They are accredited by two agencies, and a main consideration of my choosing this school was that the accrediting agencies are ones that our state colleges will accept.

They are accredited by two agencies, and a main consideration of my choosing this school was that the accrediting agencies are ones that our state colleges will accept.

A good thing to consider for those looking for accreditation.

Thank you all for your input. I did not know they were not accredited. What about the Abeka dvd? I thought they too had an accredited version? I am sooo confused at the moment. I just don't know what to do for my 9th grader. I don't want to mess up anything as far as her being able to attend college. I don't know anything about transcripts and what all else you need for college. It seems as though she was just in 3rd grade, and now we are facing HIGH SCHOOL! I never even thought I would consider homeschooling at this grade, I always said I would put her in private school for high school. Maybe I should, this is just so overwhelming. I just don't know what to do.

Stay calm. There is no need to send her off to school. There is also no need for an accredited degree program. A transcript is just a single page of paper. It isn't that hard, honest.

Probably the most stressful thing about high school is covering all your bases and making sure she has what she needs to go to college. If you have any idea where she might want to go, start by looking up admissions requirements for homeschoolers. If you don't have any idea, pick your local state U or a private college that you think might be an option (or both). Look up their requirements.

Once you know what she needs, you just have to choose your deliver system. BJU DVDs are a thorough Christian education. You will cover all the basics. You will probably need to add a few electives beyond what they offer. As you get more comfortable, you might want to shop outside the box and start pulling in different courses from different providers allowing more flexibility and more variety.

I would suggest you start by reading a book or two on homeschooling high school. Here is a recent thread where someone asked for book suggestions. Sue linked to several other threads that will give you great ideas. See if any of them are in your local library or pick the one you like the best and order it.

High school is just the next year. Don't let it scare you. Start doing some research so you can figure out your record keeping. If that all seems too much here is a thread that discusses some of the options that are accredited.

Take a deep breath. You can do this! :001_smile:

Thank you all for your input. I did not know they were not accredited. What about the Abeka dvd? I thought they too had an accredited version? I am sooo confused at the moment. I just don't know what to do for my 9th grader. I don't want to mess up anything as far as her being able to attend college. I don't know anything about transcripts and what all else you need for college. It seems as though she was just in 3rd grade, and now we are facing HIGH SCHOOL! I never even thought I would consider homeschooling at this grade, I always said I would put her in private school for high school. Maybe I should, this is just so overwhelming. I just don't know what to do.

ABeka DVD isn't accredited, either. Curriculum (including on-line or DVD courses) is never accredited. Only schools are accredited.

You would need to enroll your dc in ABeka Academy if you want accreditation.

But truly, your dc doesn't need a transcript from an accredited school. Most homeschoolers generate their own transcripts and issue their own diplomas.

If you really like BJUP or ABeka materials, then use them, but don't choose anything just because you think it might be accredited.