Menu

Short vacation advice for GA

We've had such a crazy summer (surgeries, dh laid off and in school) and haven't been able to do anything fun. If we could find a really cheap place to stay, I would love to do something for a couple of nights the week before we start school (start August 13th). We live between Atlanta and Macon, so does anyone have anything to recommend? We like the mountains, state parks, beach (might be too hot, though), or just going to a hotel that has fun, affordable stuff to do nearby.

Thanks for any recommendations!

My SIL lived in Cumming which we always thought of as north Atlanta. We loved traveling up there. We visited Amicalola, the dam (that I can't remember the name of but had goats all over the place), the little towns.. I always enjoyed going up there and often thought I would like to live up there.

My parents and sister live in Cumming. Lake Lanier is nice, Dahlonega is nearby, there are lots of places to hike. That area would be relaxing and inexpensive but maybe not rip roaring exciting.

Not in GA but not too far away--Laguna Beach Christian Retreat. They might not have any openings on the dates you want, though. We went last year for a few days in Sep. Nice. Right across the street from the beach. But it's nearly like camping and you have to bring everything except tp and cooking implements.

If you call ask about a homeschooler discount--I think they might have one.

I think river tubing near Helen, GA would be nice. Helen is also not too far from Dahlonega. I think panning for gold in Dahlonega would be fun. Perhaps you could find a place to stay that's somewhere between Dahlonega & Helen & spend a few days touring, tubing, & panning for gold? (I haven't done the panning or the tubing, but they are on my list of things to do.)

I did think about the north GA mountains. Does anyone know of cheap places to stay?

I'll check into the Christian retreat. That sounds interesting, too.

If you want to keep it inexpensive, but don't have camping gear, you might want to consider a yurt.

RedTop Mountain has one with bunkbeds and a futon; you would have to pack a cooler for food and plan on grilling. They have beautiful hiking trails and Lake Alatoona has a beach (we didn't stay at the yurt because we have a camper, but it looked great.) There's also a marina where you can rent a boat if that's in the budget.

I spent three or four days in Columbus, GA last year and had a really enjoyable time. We went to Callaway Gardens which was beautiful and there were many parks and cool places for kids. Their downtown had lots of things to see too. None of it was very expensive.

If you want to keep it inexpensive, but don't have camping gear, you might want to consider a yurt.

RedTop Mountain has one with bunkbeds and a futon; you would have to pack a cooler for food and plan on grilling. They have beautiful hiking trails and Lake Alatoona has a beach (we didn't stay at the yurt because we have a camper, but it looked great.) There's also a marina where you can rent a boat if that's in the budget.

I looked into that. I don't think this time of year would be good because there's no AC, and I'm a hot natured person! LOL! I think I would definitely like to stay in one during a cooler time of year though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Not in GA but not too far away--Laguna Beach Christian Retreat. They might not have any openings on the dates you want, though. We went last year for a few days in Sep. Nice. Right across the street from the beach. But it's nearly like camping and you have to bring everything except tp and cooking implements.

If you call ask about a homeschooler discount--I think they might have one.

I've looked into it, and this may be where we go. The discount is 20% off nightly rates or 10% of weekly rates. They were very friendly on the phone and helpful. She said after the first week of August, they aren't nearly as busy, too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've looked into it, and this may be where we go. The discount is 20% off nightly rates or 10% of weekly rates. They were very friendly on the phone and helpful. She said after the first week of August, they aren't nearly as busy, too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

And the cabins have air conditioning!!! Just had to add that after I saw your comment above. :D

And the cabins have air conditioning!!! Just had to add that after I saw your comment above. :D

So you have stayed there? Is it a good place to go? We really don't have much money, but we figure we can cook our own food and the beach and pool should be good entertainment. I go to the ENT for my follow up from surgery last week. I'm going to ask his clearance on the heat, sand, and such before we make our reservation.

We went last year for 3 days and had a great time. We didn't have enough time to explore like some friends of ours did but they stayed longer. The cabins have various sleeping arrangements. The cabin we stayed in had 2 rooms, each with a double bed and a bunk bed, and there was a bunk bed in the living room. :tongue_smilie: Only one bath, though. You have to take bedding--we just took a fitted sheet and sleeping bags for the dc, blanket for us. You also need to bring towels, bathmat, toiletries. They provide tp.

There was a full kitchen including microwave oven, coffee pot, and toaster. There were a few pots, pans, cooking and eating utensils, plates, cups. Just the basics really. Nothing else, not even salt and pepper. Or dish soap. So in that way it's like camping. But just 5 minutes down the road to the west is a Publix and a Winn Dixie. We brought most of the basics from home.

There is also a dining area, couch and chair, tv. And air conditioning! You have to take out your own trash. They only do a cleaning after you leave.

Everything was very clean.

I mentioned it's right across the street from the beach. Literally. There are also 2 pools (one is for younger kids--shallower). A laundry facility is available. It's not like a compound; it's in a regular neighborhood area.

Being so close to the beach we could just go for a short time and not have to pack everything up; we'd just bring water with us. We went early to see the birds and crabs. We went late to catch sandcrabs. We went in the day to swim. In between we'd hang out in the cabin and/or go to the pool. We also went to the Pensacola naval air museum. It's kind of a long drive but free! We had a great time; it was relaxing. I think you'd enjoy it.