Menu

If you are on the fence about AAR Pre-leve 1, read this..

shernandez

We LOVE AAR Pre-level 1! My 4-year-old already knew the alphabet (upper- and lowercase) and knew all of the letter sounds but refused to learn how to read (even though she would sound out words fine), so I was sharply debating my purchase of Pre-level 1. I purchased it anyway, deciding that I would use it with the next one when he was old enough, but began using it with dd. She cannot get enough of it!! And it has really, really helped her. It has introduced concepts to her that we have not focused on, and she begs to do this every day. In fact, today (Saturday) she cried when I told her we did not have school today. When I decided just to let her do her lessons, she completed 5 in a row and I had to put a stop to it so we will have things to do this week! We are in the middle of learning how to clap out syllables, and every word she has said she proceeds to clap out! I highly recommend this curriculum, even if your four-year-old is advanced!

Just wish they would offer the student activity books as pdf's or change their copyright to allow copying for family use. I find it incredibly annoying to have to purchase one for each subsequent child (and then pay hefty international shipping on top of it!).

I'm still on the fence about it, I am using it with my 4yo and 2yo but am not enamored as yet, I'm glad to hear why you like it OP, we are not as far in as you are.

Thanks for letting us know. My four year old seems very eager, it was in my "wish list" category. Now I will have to add it to the cart! Thanks for letting me know, we love AAS, it really seems to be working for my son who is in 3rd grade.

DD4 will be completing AAR Pre Level 1 on Tuesday. She has loved every minute of it. Ziggy is her very best friend. She can't wait to talk with him in the morning when it's her school time. Even her older brothers and sister make a point of stopping by to chat with Ziggy at some point during her lesson.

I hadn't really been planning to continue with AAR because I was perfectly happy with my success in using MFW K/1st and Blend Phonics to justify the added expense. But for the love of Ziggy, we would have been content. :D

Now I just pray that AAR level 1 gets here very soon, so the love and learning can continue!

My 5yo and 4yos are about halfway through AAR pre-level and have LOVED every minute of it! I think Ziggy will be our permanent school mascot, as there is no WAY they'll let him go after they finish the program! We were in the same boat as you, OP, where they already recognized letters and knew basic sounds (from Letter Factory), but I still feel that the phonemic awareness activities have been very valuable and absolutely worth the price of the program.

CountryGal,

The readers are nice to have, but (in my humble opinion) not necessary. If you are reading a wide range of stories (including nursery rhymes and poems) in the suggested 20 minutes of read-aloud time, I think it is more than safe to skip the readers. Actually, DD4 does not care too much for the readers and is much more excited about the lesson part. One reader has 26 short animal rhymes, one for each letter. The second reader is a collection of rhymes and poems. Hope this helps...

Do you feel that the read-aloud books are necessary? I was considering buying it but those make the price go up :tongue_smilie:

Lizard Lou and the Zigzag Zebra? They're included in both the basic and deluxe packages. Yes, they're a major part of the program.

Just wish they would offer the student activity books as pdf's or change their copyright to allow copying for family use. I find it incredibly annoying to have to purchase one for each subsequent child (and then pay hefty international shipping on top of it!).

They did recently update this so that the activity book for All About Reading is reproducible for the children in one family.