Menu

What size white board/magnetic board for AAS and AAR?

avazquez24

Wondering what size white board/magnetic board others use for the AAS or AAR tiles? I read they recommend a 2x3 board, but was wondering what others have used? Wasn't sure if it's possible to use a smaller size (if others have sucuessfully used a smaller size)? and if so, what size?

Thanks!

Wondering what size white board/magnetic board others use for the AAS or AAR tiles? I read they recommend a 2x3 board, but was wondering what others have used? Wasn't sure if it's possible to use a smaller size (if others have sucuessfully used a smaller size)? and if so, what size?

Thanks!

We tried one that was a little smaller, probably 24inx18in, and it was a little small. A 2x3 would probably work a little better. Once we had all of the tiles on, the board was rather crowded and we the work space was a little tight.

Kim

We bought the 2 x 3 board at Sam's Club. It was only something like $13 and is nice quality. Has a bulletin board on the reserve. The alphabet alone fills up the top. I can't imagine trying to use smaller. The tiles would get in the way of each other. Check SatoriSmiles.com to see how the tiles look at the board.

We started out with the big 2'x3' board, but before long DS would balk when it was time to start spelling. I read a tip to use a smaller board (I read it on a blog who said they got the tip from PAL) and decided to try it out. That immediately solved the problem. It's about 16"x20". The alphabet row wraps onto a second row but since he knew the alphabet order well it wasn't a problem. We are now on Level 3 and so far do not find it too crowded. We love being able to easily use it at the school table (and I don't have the wall space anyway!). When not in use it is stored on top of a tall bookcase. If it eventually becomes too crowded it won't be an issue as we can just use a personal sized mini-whiteboard next to it, which is what we use if we aren't doing any tile work for the day (say for the second half of a lesson).

FWIW, we purchased a 2x3 white board for AAS, but we use it for all sorts of things, especially math. I find my son writing on it almost everyday as part of what he might be playing. (And somehow, his letters & numbers are neater on the whiteboard - I don't get it!) IMO, it was well worth the $20 investment.