Menu

s/o Deciding on Planner

A.Balaban

Last year, I picked up some cheap school teacher-esque planners at Target on 70% clearance, and I figured I could just 'make it work'. But... it...just... doesn't work!

So, I've been searching for Homeschool Planners. Obviously, there are many many out there and I haven't been able to find them all, but here is a quick compare and contrast.

If there's any advice from someone whose used these, feel free to add your own comments or add other planners that you have tried. I'm exhausted so my comments kind of dried up at the end!

At the bottom I listed two places I've found that don't have complete planners, but have resources that would be useful for a planner. Both are free. If we get more of these, I'll probably add it onto a second sheet.

Here is the link!

But for now, I am going to bed. Good-night!

I tried to "make it work" with a cheap planner my first year. I sat down and made a list of things I needed in a planner along with some nice "extras" which would be nice to have. My list included attendance records sheet, space to record curricula being used that year, space to plan weekly for three kids and myself, colorful and whimsical, inspirational, a meal planning spot each week, tons of extra space for all of my many lists, and it had to be something I could physically have with me to write on (nothing on the computer). I ended up buying The Well-Planned Day Planner and have stuck with it for three years now. It has exactly what I need/want...no more, no less.

Ones I've tried/have/thought about:

Well Planned Day

Fly Lady

My.Org (Australian) similar to Wellplanned Day options, but just general planner

Master Planner

The Old Schoolhouse Planners

Sue's Workbox Stuff

Aussie Pumpkin Patch Planner & Extras

Homeschool Creations Weekly Planner

Records of the Learning Lifestyle

Donna Young

Recordkeeping for Unschoolers

The Ultimate Homeschool Planner by Debra Bell

What I ideally need is something like: A Diabetes Logbook, mixed with ability for notes, mixed with room for Chaos' Doctor Vists, Therapy & Notes, mixed with some sort of Natural Schooling Record Keeper, mixed with a few other "extras"

Ideally I would use something like The Old Schoolhouse Planners Special Learners edition (it has all the medical related things and extra stuff I need) and a secular (fine to have bible, but don't really want "Learning about God's Creation" as the "subject title" for science, version of Records of the Learning Lifestyle as a pdf. Then I could mix those two together and have the perfect one. I looked at Recordkeeping for Unschoolers, but its a little too unschooly. I can easily adapt something (like TV, or a game etc) into a subject, so would rather have subjects than what RFU has (which is something like "Watched this.....did this....went there...." I would probably still consider Records of the Learning Lifestyle if it had a pdf version.

Seriously though, I have about 10 different binders/books for various recordikeeping/plannign needs. It would be nice to have everything in one spot, get it printed & bound at my office store, and be carry to carry it in my giant handbag :p

Oh and theres probably a lot more I've tried too, I went a bit made with PDF planners about a year ago, so about 80-90% of the homeschool planners available as PDF's I probably have :001_huh:

I use the free printables from the Donna Young site in a binder. I find that the form that works for me at the start of the year may not by the end, so being able to play around with so many forms is helpful.

ETA- I use the Donna Young stuff for my household planning as well. The hard copies of my lists are kept at home and I carry a digital copy on my IPad.

Oh, I forgot about Momstoolbelt (made by the same person who makes notebookingpages.com I think)

I just found what I was looking for! And its FREE! :D

Learning Alongside has two free planner pages - one a bit more normal, and one that looks very, very similar to "A Record of the learning Lifestyle" free! in pdf!

YEY!

I can now use TOS Special Learners and Learning Alongside to make the perfect planner! Now I just need to print it, and have it bound (and probably purchase a GBS Clickman & spines somehow, another I wish I was in the US post :tongue_smilie: the pro-click doesn't work for my size paper (a4), I can't get US sized paper easily (yes I looked, how desperate am I lol) and the Clickman & spines are hard to get unless your in Singapore or Europe. Amazon doesn't carry them :(

If I think of any more HS Planners (most of my thoughts will be PDF ones though) I'll come back

Oh, I forgot about Momstoolbelt (made by the same person who makes notebookingpages.com I think)

I just found what I was looking for! And its FREE! :D

Learning Alongside has two free planner pages - one a bit more normal, and one that looks very, very similar to "A Record of the learning Lifestyle" free! in pdf!

YEY!

I can now use TOS Special Learners and Learning Alongside to make the perfect planner! Now I just need to print it, and have it bound (and probably purchase a GBS Clickman & spines somehow, another I wish I was in the US post :tongue_smilie: the pro-click doesn't work for my size paper (a4), I can't get US sized paper easily (yes I looked, how desperate am I lol) and the Clickman & spines are hard to get unless your in Singapore or Europe. Amazon doesn't carry them :(

If I think of any more HS Planners (most of my thoughts will be PDF ones though) I'll come back

:w00t::hurray::cheers2:!!! You are my new best friend. Thanks! (Now I have to go look up those acronyms.)

I updated the chart so that the different formats were on different sheets.

Sheet #1 - Free and/or Printable Planners

Sheet #2 - Paper Planners

Sheet #3 - Software Planner

Sheet #4 - E-Planner (online)

I'm also working on adding the number of kids into the document, and adding other resources as I find them.

I find it's easiest to make up my own planner.

I have a one page table I made up in MS word that lists all subjects for both kids for the week--I like being able to see everything on one page. I keep this in a pocket in my binder.

Then I have tabs for each subject and keep a 1-3 page guide of my plan for that subject for the year. Some plans are easy (math--do a lesson each day), and some are more involved (lining up history books with certain chapters of a spine). Some just list books in order for reading, some I keep grades and more info. I can put whatever I need behind each tab and flip to it easily.

Think through what you want first to see if there's a guide that does what you want. But otherwise, it's pretty easy with the table format in MS Word or something like Excel to design what you need.

Merry :-)