Menu

wanting to do exploratory/experimental/hands-on math for 1st grade - suggestions?

NovelMama

I really like the idea of doing something less workbook/equation-driven for math and focusing more on learning math concepts through experimentation with manipulatives. I also love Life of Fred (well, the samples, anyway - haven't gotten the books yet) and would love to do that alongside. THose of you who have done the beginning LoF books, do you think I could use the concepts in LoF as a springboard and experiment with those (when it makes sense to)?

Have you researched Miquon?

This. Or the possibility of Rightstart (games, manipulatives etc) Miquon is based on Math "Labs" / exploration and Cusenaire Rods.

Theres the possibility of adding Life Of Fred as a miquon supplement? Getting him to work it out the "Miquon" way, that would be quite interesting :001_smile:

It is a website of videos with tons of hands on exploratory math type of activities based on Miquon, Righstart and Singapore and others.

My kids watch with me and they run off and play with their blocks. I hear them playing what they learned and teaching each other.

Also off topic here--my kids watch Salsa Spanish and I heard my 8yrs old teaching my son 3yrs old grande and pequeno with the miquon rods!!! Oh the rods make cute ositos.

Last year for dd we ditched the basic curriculum and did hands on math while creating a notebook/journal. I used Katheryn Stouts Maximum Math as a guide so I knew what skills she needed. We played math and recorded it with pictures, drawings, narrations and other ways.

This web site has great ideas and can be used alongside anything (LOF). I used the weekly print outs for logic ideas and to give me an idea of what needed to be covered.

http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4507283&pageId=5048438

Yep, I think LOF is a great supplement to almost any approach - it is very different. Check out the Living Math website, if you haven't already, we've done tons of math learning through reading books suggested there. And I second the Kitchen Table Math suggestion - this teaches you how to teach math, rather than being a workbook for the kids. And the education unboxed videos are amazing!!!