Menu

6th/7th grade world history spine

Momma_Bear

My dd is 11, will be 12 in the fall. We did ancients this past year but I decided to finish world history to the present this year. She is a strong reader but she doesn't particularly like history. She likes reading from several books ("because it's boring to read from one book") but for my own sanity I need a spine. She enjoys notebooking, so that will be included.

Thought about using SOTW as a spine but we did them when she was younger and she doesn't want to again. Any ideas?

It doesn't matter if it's secular or from a christian perspective. :001_smile:

What about taking Kingfischer or Usborne and reading through that ALA WTM, only faster. You could also get the Veritas Press History Cards and work through them, adding in books for each time period. The benefit of the cards is you have book suggestions and even page numbers on the back.

If you want a great one year history course, VP has an online Transitions class for this age group that my daughter really enjoyed last year. It's spendy though. Another option would be Sonlight's Core 6+7 (I don't know the letters yet and I'm too lazy to look them up:D)

HTH!

Dorinda

What about taking Kingfischer or Usborne and reading through that ALA WTM, only faster. You could also get the Veritas Press History Cards and work through them, adding in books for each time period. The benefit of the cards is you have book suggestions and even page numbers on the back.

If you want a great one year history course, VP has an online Transitions class for this age group that my daughter really enjoyed last year. It's spendy though. Another option would be Sonlight's Core 6+7 (I don't know the letters yet and I'm too lazy to look them up:D)

HTH!

Dorinda

It's Core W, I think :001_smile:.

HTH!

Dorinda

This dd hates the Usborne & Kindfisher Books (tried to use them for ancient history this year). Hmm.. Might think about just using it anyways. ;)

The VP class sounds wonderful! But for $600 (plus materials?), I don't think it's gonna happen.. :001_huh: Thought about Sonlight, but doesn't it use CHOW? ... have to look at it more.

What about Human Odyssey from K12?
Is that a 3 year course? Maybe I'm wrong? :confused:

Thanks!

Oxford Press

Medieval and Early Modern World series.

I am putting together a World History year for and 11/12 yo boy using

The European World

Age of Empires

Age of Voyages

He will be making a timeline, maps, reading historical fiction, creating notebook pages and occasionally outlining chapters. There are also book projects and history projects.

I am adding in videos from Horrible Histories as I can & I might find some on BrainPop.

Yes, it is a lot of work for a homeschooler who is not my own, but it is for a dear friend who is completely overwhelmed and I wanted to set up a history binder where he could be pretty independent if necessary.

Amber in SJ

This dd hates the Usborne & Kindfisher Books (tried to use them for ancient history this year). Hmm.. Might think about just using it anyways. ;)

The VP class sounds wonderful! But for $600 (plus materials?), I don't think it's gonna happen.. :001_huh: Thought about Sonlight, but doesn't it use CHOW? ... have to look at it more.

Is that a 3 year course? Maybe I'm wrong? :confused:

Thanks!

No, they've really changed it. Check it out here I guess Core W is the condensed world history (used to be 6+7) and G and H cover world history in 2 years. Since you've already done ancients, you could look at H and see if it would suit your needs.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Hmmm, what about...

The Story of Mankind (I think History Odyssey uses it as an optional book too.) by Hendrik Van Loon

The best part about using this book is that it is all in one and you could have more room to add supplements. It would be hard to cover medieval and modern in one year with other books without seeming too book heavy.

Or you could try this...

Famous Men series: Famous Men of Middle Ages, Famous Men of Renaissance and Famous Men of Modern Times

You might need to add some supplemental books to finish it out.

Sonlight is out, it's just to much for us this year. The Genevieve Foster books might be too if I added some more books?

I think I'm leaning towards The Story of Mankind.. so far. It looks easy enough to add other books without it being to much.

Any other ideas welcome! :001_smile:

Edited by Momma_Bear