Menu

Help!

I started back to school last week, and am schooling dds 10 & 9. DSs are 2 & 3. I am going crazy trying to get through school with the youngers. They fight over all toys, or I'm getting interrupted every 5-10 min. trying to move them into a new activity. The 3yo will go to preschool in the fall, but in the meantime, the orders get very upset at all the noise, and we end the day in a lot of frustration. They always want to do what the other is doing, so it hasn't worked very well to try and get them separated into different activities :tongue_smilie: Any suggestions?

That is a crazy age. Do they nap still? Perhaps you can do school work during nap time?

Other than that, I can only offer :grouphug: and the thought that it is a temporary stage.....one of the most difficult in terms of homeschooling, young toddlers in the mix with olders, but it gets better eventually.

I won't lie...that is the age when I utilized DVD's and snacks. Favorite dvd, in our case, Dora, and a safe non-messy snack, propped up on the couch, with a blanket....30-60 minutes of peace. Not my best parenting tactic, but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Edited by Samiam

Yep, DVDs and snacks. I'd try alternating between spending time schooling the olders, say a half-hour at a time, with spending time with the youngers - read them a story or play a game with them. Try setting a timer and telling them they can't interrupt until it goes off (unless it's an emergency). Give them a reward if they wait (some M&Ms or something). Things to keep them busy for awhile: bubbles, a tub of rice and some cups and funnels, Play-doh, sidewalk chalk, a sink of water and some plastic toys. When my kids were younger, sometimes I'd have them pack up their books and we'd go to the zoo, where there are some play structures. My youngest dd could play and I could keep an eye on her, and the older ones could sit at a picnic table and do their school work - maybe there's a park nearby where you could try that. Good luck. It does get easier eventually.

Maybe you could pay your oldest a couple of bucks to watch them and keep them out of your hair while you lock yourself in your room to do school work? Or offer a special privilege for helping out. Dh used to take the kids out of the house for a Daddy Day on Saturdays while I did school work.

I'll have to try the washing dishes or rice activity...that sounds like a lot of fun, and something they'd be into. I may just have to designate some tv to this time period as well as suggested. I suppose with the Letter Learning Factory I am also sneaking some learning in there too. Part of my problem is we school in the basement and if I leave to do stuff in the kitchen my olders tend to get up and not stay on task-different problem to deal with I know :). Thaks for the suggestions, will try some on Wed. When we school again.

Part of my problem is we school in the basement and if I leave to do stuff in the kitchen my olders tend to get up and not stay on task-different problem to deal with I know :). Thaks for the suggestions, will try some on Wed. When we school again.

I hear you. I don't know if *that* ever gets easier. I still have to stand over my 16yo to make sure he gets his work done. :tongue_smilie: