Menu

About skipping English grammar...

Familia

There is always discussion about skipping English grammar if Latin is being covered. Has anyone seen the new Memoria Press's new "English Grammar for the Grammar Stage"?

Does this look like a way to condense what you need to know when focusing on Latin in the pre-high school years?

Could this book be covered each year? Has anyone thought about this? I am beyond this, but wandering about advising others.

Thanks,

Has anyone even seen this product? It is too new for anyone to have used, I think. And, it is online but not in the printed catalogue yet.

I have always been a devoted fan of Rod and Staff. But, if I could do it all over again, I'd focus on writing and Latin more and cover English grammar more succinctly.

Also, I would skip the writing component, where possible, since I'd use IEW.

I'd just like to discuss this with someone.

Anyone?

Edited by secretgarden

The grammar book is tied to the 3rd grade literature. I am not aware of what they use for grammar after 3rd grade.

It seems that it would work fine as a stand alone and for now (until they publish more years) it would be a way for a family to cover grammar across multiple grade levels.

...on MPs forum. He said that they are working on similar books for all of the grades and encourages that grammar be studied concurrently w latin through highschool.
This is very interesting considering that it is from their catalogue's articles that I became aware of the Latin instead of English grammar idea:glare: But, hey, if they've come up with a way to cover it while not focusing too much energy on it...I'm happy! !)

BTW, This is really all just "backwards" planning for me since, I have taken my children through R&S 6th/8th! But, I hope to gain a clearer BTDT perspective:001_smile:

I need a drooling icon for MP's grammar. I REALLY need them to get the 4th & 5th grade grammar books out so I can buy them. If they don't, I'll probably call and beg for a syllabus at least, then I can just cover the same rules.

I don't have the grammar books yet, I plan to buy the 3rd & 5th grade packages by December, so I'll have it then. (It's a big purchase, but we've added in some other MP products to "test" for the rest of 2012, and that's going well. I'm loving their Latin.)

MP only covers 3-4 books a year for literature, so I don't think being "tied to" their literature is a big issue. They've said you could just substitute the book you are using. Or if your child hasn't read the book (they are popular books included in many "lists") it would be easy to add it. (Considering many people here read a LOT of books over the year.)

This does look nice. I was thinking of using these books from Kolbe for 1st and 2nd. Once I started Latin, I was planning on waiting until my kids were ready for Junior Analytical Grammar before I started true English Grammar study. I like that the MP is short and sweet and to the point. I wouldn't do the second page of each lesson though.

Edited by kristinannie

I posted a similar question on MPs forum. He said that they are working on similar books for all of the grades and encourages that grammar be studied concurrently w latin through highschool.

:iagree:he posted that doing a "lighter" grammar in addition to latin would be better than not doing grammar until highschool.

Attending a lecture by M. Cothran regarding why we study latin (the organization and thinking skills - the imbedded grammar) and my own experience learning First Form this year, I am convinced that focusing on Latin instead of English grammar is the way to go. I still think learning the structure and terminology of grammar is good to study in English and I was trying to decide how to narrow down R&S to just its 'basics'.

I have loved, loved, loved R&S through the years, but I think I spent too much time on it.

This program from Memoria Press seems like a better path. I think it could be even more efficient for a family using another writing program and choosing their own literature. So, from what I've seen, I'd only use part of the book.

Here's a link again, since it is so new...

English Grammar for the Grammar Stage

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_writing.html

P.S. Thanks Mama25angels, I look forward to your review!

Edited by secretgarden

I bought this in the spring to use with my just turned 11 year old. We like it. Since I'm in the learn grammar later camp, it doesn't bother me that it's listed for 3rd grade.:D

It has 3 lists in the back of both the teacher and student books. The first is a list of 27 grammar recitation rules. There is a question in bold which the teacher reads to the student. The student then reads the answer. This is to be done on a daily basis so that the grammar rules are learned by heart. The second is a list of 10 capitalization rules, and the third is a list of 9 punctuation rules. Rinse and repeat.

The other parts of the book have passages relating to the new rule(s) of the week. These passages are taken from MP's 3rd grade reading list. The student is instructed to underline or circle or whatever. Then, there is a kind of WWE type reading, again from the same reading book. The student answers questions, then writes a summary of the passage. It also has two sentences that you dictate to the student; again from the current reading book. BTW, you don't have to read the entire book to do this; same as WWE.

My son got bogged down in WWE 3, and this is comfortable for him. I'm going to be getting WWS for him at some point, but I'm just not sure when.

All in all, we really like this. I am a curriculum hopper, but I think this one is a keeper.

HTH,

Melissa