Menu

How do PS Highschoolers get their college credits while at highschool ?

I know PS highschoolers can do AP and get college credits while at highschool.

But is it common to enroll and get credits from community college ? Or is it possible to do CLEP as well ? Or high schools usually have college-level courses which students can take but not AP ?

Thanks

Here the answer is all of the above. Our schools offer dual enrollment at a CC, AP classes, and classes on the high school campus that give college credit.

It is possible to CLEP, but not commonly done as the tests are not offered at the schools like APs are.

Here, the CC offers a few classes at PS. Students may also take classes on CC campus. Here is the link if you like.

They also offer a collegiate high school for 10th-12th grade. This is on the CC campus. 10th graders are together for the day with a set curriculum. 11th and 12th graders take 6 CC classes each semester. They graduate with the HS diploma and AA degree on the same day. IMO, it's the best option for bright students in our school district.

It's common around here for PS highschoolers to get dual enrollment from 4 year colleges and universities too. Certain sections of the course have priority registration for high schoolers in dual enrollment. Students leave high school campus at near end of the day and go straight over to college campus for the class. (begins around 2:30)

Other colleges are having an adjunct professor teach the class at the local high school campus. One of the state schools even has online options for public schoolers too.

It's not just community college options here.

(and homeschoolers can attend all of those)

Another option in my area for PS is the IB program.

-crystal

In our district, ps students can take cc classes that are offered on the high school campus (only 2 or 3 at each high school) and they can take cc classes that are outside of school hours. Unless the cc class is one that is taught at the high school, it has to be done in addition to the high school classes rather than in place of the high school classes. Most in our district just take summer classes at the cc.

There are also AP classes on campus. Not all of the AP classes that the district offers are at all campuses. I don't know how it would work if you wanted to take an AP class that was only offered at a different campus from the one you attend. I don't know if you'd just be out of luck or if you'd need to transfer to that campus or if the school would transport you from one campus to the other (this one is doubtful).

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I am currently enrolled in a class at my local community college this semester (I am a complete old geezer in there) and in the class (it is a govt class) there is a high school student doing dual enrollment. It is a short summer class so she is probably just getting it out of the way before 12th grade.

I know PS highschoolers can do AP and get college credits while at highschool.

But is it common to enroll and get credits from community college ? Or is it possible to do CLEP as well ? Or high schools usually have college-level courses which students can take but not AP ?

Thanks

Yes, my daughter's current school has a few classes that you can take at the community college, and several kids have. She was supposed to take 2 this upcoming year.

Her new high school has only college level work in all classes, so I have no idea how that is going to work.

@OP Possibly this is OT, but, possibly on target. Hopefully, our DD will begin Distance Learning, 6th grade, in the Middle School of Texas Tech University ISD (TTUISD), in August or September 2012.

In the TTUISD High School, the students can enroll in Dual Credit courses. They receive credit in the High School, and, also in the University, for the same course. Hoping our DD will have 1 or 2 semesters of University Credits behind her, when she graduates from TTUISD.

You mentioned PS students. Legally, TTUISD is a "Public" school. However, they do not receive any $ from the State of Texas or the U.S. Government. So, the students must pay TTUISD, because that's the only income they have. In that respect, it is more like a "Private" school, since the students pay directly to TTUISD.