Menu

thinking about chemistry for fall

laf919

Hi - I am starting to plan a block on chemistry for my dds this fall - both are highly gifted, one in kindergarten and one in 3rd grade. I would not expect much from the k'er other than her willing participation - although she has been researching more about the electromagnetic spectrum on her own this summer so I don't doubt she will be able to keep up.

My question - after that long introduction - is which resources folks here would recommend. I was going to use Fizz Bubble and Flash and Adventures with Atoms and Molecules to give a general background and then do the Engineering is Elementary unit on Chemical engineering. However, as I looked at the EIE unit again, I noticed that they cite correlations to 3 GEMS units - Liquid Explorations, Involving Dissolving, and Secret Formulas. And now I can't decide which route to take. Any advice out there? I know I will have to supplement this with independent readings for my 3rd grader - she is reading at about a 6th grade level and will need more mental work, although I think she would really enjoy and get a lot out of the hands on work. :bigear: Thanks in advance!

Basher "Chemistry" was a hit here. It's not a lot of information, but like the rest of the series does a good job of personifying the various elements. And the periodic table poster is well worth pulling out and laminating.

A good chemical model kit.

The American Chemical Society has a lot of great resources, both print and online. The Science For Kids section is a good supplement, and the Wonder Science book is worth the price as well. You also may find some good resources in the Middle School Chemistry, which is free (it's designed to supplement their teacher trainings).

I would second McHenry's The Elements for your 3rd grader. It is a truly inspired resource! I'm not sure how well the Ker would do with it though.

You might be able to combine RS4K chemistry pre level 1 for the Ker with level 1 for the 3rd grader as well.

This year we did chem with my 6/7y.o. We used pieces of HS Share's unit study and lapbook. We also did ACS Middle School chem though it didn't go as in-depth as I would have liked. (There is an elementary level also if that's a better fit for your dc.) The multi-media made it more interesting than a typical book format. We also used Ellen McHenry's The Elements which was a big hit.

We loved Ellen McHenry's "The Elements". Also Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry as a spine. Adventures in Atoms and Molecules was good for experiments but didn't seem very linear or cohesive to use...just random experiments. I don't know about the other resource you mentioned.

Love the Elements. Looking at all of K-12 it would be in my top five resources. It is that good.