Menu

Amarillo, TX--anyone in that area/familiar with it?

My 16dd really wants to go to Amarillo, TX for a vacation. She was born there but none of the rest of us have ever been there----she came to Michigan before being placed with us at 7 months old.

How HOT is it? Is it a dry heat or a humid heat? We don't like hot but right now Michigan is in a big heat wave with temps in the 90s to lower 100s and humid this month so I don't know how much different it would be.

Is there a lot to do in that area? She LOVES horses and anything to do with horses, cowboys, Native Americans (all of us are part NA), nature, zoos, animals, etc. We aren't huge amusement park/ride people or look but don't touch museums, etc. We also like LESS crowded things.

Is there a major airport there or would we save a lot on airfair by flyng someone semi close and driving the rest of the way?

Here's my list, I've done most of these things, but not all. There is lots to do!

19 story Cross in Groom, just east of Amarillo

Texas Outdoor Musical in Palo Duro Canyon

Cowboy Breakfast – I’m not sure if this is the same breakfast I did in the past, but I went in the summer, and really needed a jacket – surprisingly cold in the morning.

Don Harrington Discovery Center – Science Museum with the Helium Monument (some info here about Helium in the US)

Pan Handle-Plains Historical Museum

Big Texan Steak Ranch – you get your 72 oz steak free if you can eat the enire dinner in less than an hour (I’ve never tried for that!)

Cadallac Ranch

VW Slug Bug Ranch

Amarillo Zoo – I was not much impressed with this small zoo

Museums in Amarillo

National Cowboy Museum

Amarillo Quarter Horse Museum

Check out this list

My dad was from Amarillo, and my grandparents lived there until they passed away. I grew up in Dallas, but I spent lots of time there. It's boring! Not a great deal to do, although Palo Duro Canyon outside Amarillo is nice to visit.

My family from Amarillo always complained that Dallas was hot and humid, so I guess it's less humid and hot than Dallas, but that's not saying much. It can get really windy, and it does snow often in the winter there.

There is a smallish airport there, and I've only flown in from Dallas, but I do think major airlines fly in and out.

My 16dd really wants to go to Amarillo, TX for a vacation. She was born there but none of the rest of us have ever been there----she came to Michigan before being placed with us at 7 months old.

How HOT is it? Is it a dry heat or a humid heat? We don't like hot but right now Michigan is in a big heat wave with temps in the 90s to lower 100s and humid this month so I don't know how much different it would be.

Is there a lot to do in that area? She LOVES horses and anything to do with horses, cowboys, Native Americans (all of us are part NA), nature, zoos, animals, etc. We aren't huge amusement park/ride people or look but don't touch museums, etc. We also like LESS crowded things.

Is there a major airport there or would we save a lot on airfair by flyng someone semi close and driving the rest of the way?

I'll be perfectly honest. :tongue_smilie: It's boring. But. Y'all are going for different reasons.

It's hot. It should be a dry heat, though. Sometimes we joke that we'll drive up for the winter to show our children this elusive snow that we hear about.

There's really nothing bigger or terribly exciting within 200 miles all directions. Palo Duro is neat. If I were to come to the area, though, and wanted to drive out a bit, I'd go to Roswell, NM. :D I think it's probably the closest interesting thing. Unless you want a completely boring several hundred mile drive, your best bet would be flying into Amarillo. When I think of cowboys and horses, I think of the panhandle, so there's probably something interesting there. I'm not familiar with the NA around that area, but it's pretty rich, at least in eastern NM.

That list was a good one above. It's boring if you live there, it's the sort of place teens are more likely to yearn to escape from. But the listed attractions can give a good feel for the regional culture. Visiting a church of your denomination could be a good option too, or check for local events at the local paper's website. Skip the zoo. There are several farms that do tours and hands on stuff in the area, go to one of those instead. If you contact the local chamber of commerce in Amarillo or Canyon, they may have more ideas.

For accomodations, avoid any motels near I-40 on the East side of town, including near the airport. There are some nice b&b's if you can afford it.

It's hot and dry, usually, with nice, impressive storms and if you don't like the weather, wait an hour.