Menu

How walkable is Chicago?

There is train system in downtown. You will not want to walk in most part of the city though. Close to the lake is beautiful. And around the Michigan Ave is great. Outside of that. Nope

I think the place u stay Is safe and go michigan ave and go south. U will hit aquarium and field museum. Go north u hit water tower and some major shopping Actually u stay in a good spot

Edited by jennynd

You are in a very good walking spot. You shouldn't bother with the trains at all, they wil only get you confused. The only thing that might be nice to do that is outside of that area is to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is free. You would take the 151 Sheridan bus North...you can catch that on Michigan Ave. But really, you are in a great spot. Art Institute is close, Millenium Park, Aquarium (over rated, IMHO), Field Museum (excellent), Buckingham fountain, beach etc.

In three days, you should have a great time. No need to venture too far.

If you feel adventurous, you can always ask again!

Take an architectural boat tour, or if you are wanting to go on the cheap (my favorite) take the water taxi from the mueums over to navy pier or further in to the river.

I'll be staying here with my German exchange student. Will we be able to walk to many places? Is there a bus system? We will be there on a Friday, Saturday & Sunday. What's the best way to get to the major attractions?

Very walkable from that hotel. Lots to see in that area. There is a hop on hop off bus too if that's of interest, and some water taxis. Also you can get a cab if there are places you want to go that are farther away (Museum of Science and Industry, for example).

I grew up in Chicago and took my kids back there for a long weekend a few years ago and we got around easily from a hotel near that location. Very safe part of town.

My top choices would be the Field Museum (we spent a whole day there), the Art Institute, going to the top of the John Hancock building, walking around Millenium park, taking a water taxi or a river or lake tour.

Edited by EmilyK

If you have a smart phone, you can use Google maps walking directions. They will also give you transit directions if you want them. I prefer goroo.com for transit directions, though. Honestly? I think if I were only going to be there for a weekend, I'd just budget for taxis if the walk was 1-2 miles. They are everywhere and pretty much anything you are going to want to see/do will be less than 2 miles from where you are standing. Chicago has a surprisingly small downtown. Be sure to go to Millennium Park to visit Crown Fountain and the Big Bean (Cloud Gate Sculpture). It's just a block away from the Art Institute.

If you have an ASTC co-operative membership with your local science museum, you can get into the Field, the Museum of Science and Industry, The Adler Planetarium and many others for free.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

If you have time you may want to visit Navy Pier. Not too far but you would probably want to take the bus. They have a lovely free stained glass exhibit and you will see a great view of the city. There are attractions and places to eat, too, but you don't have to spend a lot of $ unless you choose to. Hope you enjoy your visit to The Windy City!

ETA there is a great Children's Museum at Navy Pier if you are interested.

Oh, and the Chicago Cultural Center is a beautiful building on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Washington. It is lovely inside and they have free exhibits and concerts. There is a beautiful dome ceiling on the top floor. Just another gem to check out if you have time. It was once the main library in the city and was slated for the wrecking ball but was saved by Maggie Daley, the late wife of former Mayer Daley.

One more thing!!!! Chicago used to have a free trolly service downtown. That is long gone due to budget cuts. But there is a free trolly service to Navy Pier in the summer. Here is the link:

http://www.navypier.com/visit_us/pub_trans.html

Edited by jelbe5

Aquarium (over rated, IMHO)

Awww, over-rated?! They've got the shark exhibit!! :lol: It just costs $3,000 to park and get in.

Go to the Field Museum. I'm biased. I used to work there. :D

A lot of those museums have Free Days. Check their websites to see which day is free admission.

If you don't want to figure out the L, you can take a cab.

Awww, over-rated?! They've got the shark exhibit!! :lol: It just costs $3,000 to park and get in.

Go to the Field Museum. I'm biased. I used to work there. :D

A lot of those museums have Free Days. Check their websites to see which day is free admission.

If you don't want to figure out the L, you can take a cab.

Well, the only thing I like about that aquarium (other than the large circular tank that has been there since I was a kid) is the coral reef room. That's really cool, but not woth a gazillion dollars and waiting in line.

I can't stand the Museum of Science and Industry since they re-did it. It used to be amazing, now it is average. If you never saw it before, it might be great... I don't know. I avoid taking my kids there, even though we drive past it each time I come into Chicago.

The Field Museum is the best. When I used to take my voice lessons at the Fine Arts building, I would cross Grant park and walk through it every week to go visit my dad at his office. It used be under Soldier Field (there was a park district building between the museum & the stadium). I would just walk up to the one lonely person standing there and say "I'm just walking through to see my dad at the park district" and they would let me walk on through. My, how times have changed.

Hopefully you have a reciprocal membership. It really helps. :D

Well, the only thing I like about that aquarium (other than the large circular tank that has been there since I was a kid) is the coral reef room. That's really cool, but not woth a gazillion dollars and waiting in line.

I can't stand the Museum of Science and Industry since they re-did it. It used to be amazing, now it is average. If you never saw it before, it might be great... I don't know. I avoid taking my kids there, even though we drive past it each time I come into Chicago.

The Field Museum is the best. When I used to take my voice lessons at the Fine Arts building, I would cross Grant park and walk through it every week to go visit my dad at his office. It used be under Soldier Field (there was a park district building between the museum & the stadium). I would just walk up to the one lonely person standing there and say "I'm just walking through to see my dad at the park district" and they would let me walk on through. My, how times have changed.

Hopefully you have a reciprocal membership. It really helps. :D

You're really making me homesick! :o

About the Science & Industry museum...the body slices encased in glass on the stairwell used to scare me as we walked downstairs!! :eek:

I really miss Connie's Pizza. And Italian ice on Taylor St. And Pancho's on 31st/Halstead. They used to have Elvis impersonator night there. :lol:

Sounds like I need to make a trip home!!!

You're really making me homesick! :o

About the Science & Industry museum...the body slices encased in glass on the stairwell used to scare me as we walked downstairs!! :eek:

I really miss Connie's Pizza. And Italian ice on Taylor St. And Pancho's on 31st/Halstead. They used to have Elvis impersonator night there. :lol:

Sounds like I need to make a trip home!!!

:lol::lol::lol: The dds LOVED that area. Lots of posing next to the exploded man and all that.

that's sad. I loved the Museum of Science and Industry when I was a kid. Sort of like how I haven't been back to Wrigley since they put lights in.:001_smile:

We just went to Chicago and had a marvelous time. You might want to check out the Chicago City Card. For $84 you get admission to 5 attractions. (with all the bells and whistles) We saw the Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium and the Willis Tower. (better known as the Sears Tower!) We just didn't have time to get in the 5th attraction or we would have gone to Adler.

Even with a reciprocal membership, it was cheaper to purchase the card. Otherwise you have to pay for all the special exhibits....of course, the ones that we were very interested in. Fascinating exhibit on Genghis Khan at the Field, wonderful exhibit on Jellies at the aquarium and Mythbusters at MOSI. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

We drove and parked. Yikes! Parking is very expensive (and wasn't in my budget). I'll know better next time. It just wasn't possible to use the public transit. (We had an electric scooter/chair with us.)

There's so much to see that I think we'll do it again next summer!

There is train system in downtown. You will not want to walk in most part of the city though. Close to the lake is beautiful. And around the Michigan Ave is great. Outside of that. Nope

Dh and I went to college in Chicago and walked everywhere...and I do mean everywhere. There are buses galore (free and CTA) as well as the El. Get the CTA pass. You can get one for a variety of lengths of stays depending upon your needs.

But really, we walked everywhere at all hours of the day/night and still do whenever we take the kids with us and visit. River North is not that far off Michigan Ave and you'll be able to get any number of places from there. We walked from around there (if not a bit further) all the way to Grant Park.

Oh, the memories. Have fun!

We were there for the day on Sunday. We bought day passes for the bus and subway (I forget what it's called). I used my iPhone to get directions on the public transportation. It was SOOOOO easy!!! We also walked a TON.

Don't be afraid of the busses and trains. Everyone there was so willing to help us out.