Menu

Best food for terrier with sensitive stomach.

Yes, another dog post. :tongue_smilie: our new doggie has stomach issues, perhapsmrelated to his worms, or stress, i am not sure. He is on hills gastroenteric right now but i dont love the ingredients list. I am thinking evo, innova or blue buffalo (?) he isnt picky, but our other terrier IS. We are feeding him royal canin right now, which he liked for a while, but now he hardly eats it.

I got a sample of EVO from the vet, and both dogs seem to love it, but again, our first dog seems to just change his mind a lot :glare: i have also read sme reviews that say evo is too high in protein content.

Would evo be a good choice for a terrier?

Eta: i got some mother hubbard skin & coat treats today and they both adore them.....

Edited by Halcyon

I don't know if this will help but I have a cat with a very sensitive stomach and he switched to Evo without a single problem. I tried so many foods before that didn't work--my mom's cat got a lot of nice free bags of cat food before we landed on Evo.

I'd go ahead and try it. Terriers, as a rule, are a higher energy group. Dogs that use up a lot of energy tend to have less issues with higher protein content, likely because they use it instead of trying to store it away :p

Try it for a few days to a week. If it is too rich for them, you'll know (lol!). While high protein can cause issues in some (many) dogs, I really believe it is a case by case basis. Dogs with super sensitive stomachs tend to do better with a moderate protein content... but really, "moderate" can vary greatly from dog to dog. So if it works, it works and don't worry about it. If it doesn't work, try something else :D (I know... so helpful!)

As for the picky dog... is he picky just because he gets bored with the food? Many of my dog friends routinely switch out their pups food, blend two different kinds together, or find a brand that has more than one flavor just to give them a nice variety.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

For urinating in the house, he should be tethered to your side so that you can learn his cues of needing to go out. If he is not tethered to your side he should be crated for now. Whoever is watching him/tethering him should also be taking him out on regular intervals. After napping/sleeping/eating/playing. try to get him onto a schedule and use a specific potty command word every time he goes!.

:grouphug:

For urinating in the house, he should be tethered to your side so that you can learn his cues of needing to go out. If he is not tethered to your side he should be crated for now. Whoever is watching him/tethering him should also be taking him out on regular intervals. After napping/sleeping/eating/playing. try to get him onto a schedule and use a specific potty command word every time he goes!.

Thanks. He howls when i crate him if i am in the house, so that wont work. I keep him near me but sometimes i just fine him lifting up his leg. Weirdly, he likes to pee on or near his crate! It is almost as tough he dosnt know good habits from being in the shelter for so very long. I will treat him when he pees on walks andmhopefully he will get the message.

He doesnt seem to love the wellness but did eat a few bites. I will stick with it and hopefully his poor appetite is just due to the antibiotixs.

Thanks. He howls when i crate him if i am in the house, so that wont work. I keep him near me but sometimes i just fine him lifting up his leg. Weirdly, he likes to pee on or near his crate! It is almost as tough he dosnt know good habits from being in the shelter for so very long. I will treat him when he pees on walks andmhopefully he will get the message.

He doesnt seem to love the wellness but did eat a few bites. I will stick with it and hopefully his poor appetite is just due to the antibiotixs.

I use the crate time for the extra yummies like a frozen kong with peanut butter(what we use but you can use many other items) to discourage howling.

Also we reward when they are quiet in the kennel. have one of the children very close to him and the moment he is quiet in the kennel he gets a treat with a good quiet or whatever your command would be. it will take a while but will give him a secure place to be and he can learn to enjoy his time there.

As for tethering to you it is really for you to learn his cues for having to go potty and for being attached to him so if he does have an accident you can get him outside right away to finish.

They also make something called belly bands that wrap around the body but i prefer to keep dogs tethered to me instead of those. It might be something for you to try though, i would still use it along with the tethering though.