Menu

HS Lending Library

If you have one or have visited one can you give me some info:

1)Any membership or per item fee

2)Staffing/volunteers and hours

3)How are unreturned or damaged materials handled?

4)Any rules or regulations for members or material

5) How are materials organized- by grade/subject/both/other

TIA!

TIA!

1) Per item fee: $1/book/year

2) Hours: 1:00-3:00 1 day/week; extended hours in June and August

3) I don't know, but I know there is a lot that is never returned. I don't think they pursue it very hard.

4) Not sure what you mean

5) Subject, publisher, grade (so science is in an area, within that you can find BJU, Abeka, etc and within each of those by grade)

Here is the website for our local lending library http://www.sac-online.org/

TIA!

1) No membership or per item fee

2) They are open two days a week (varies) for about 4 hours each time. There are two moms that operate it. It is located in one of the big churches here.

3) For the most part, everyone returns everything, but in the rare case that it is not returned/damaged...it is not really pursued

4) You have to fill out a card in the beginning with all your personal info but other than that...nothing

5) Materials are organized by grade/subject/publisher

1) No membership or per item fee

2) They are open two days a week (varies) for about 4 hours each time. There are two moms that operate it. It is located in one of the big churches here.

3) For the most part, everyone returns everything, but in the rare case that it is not returned/damaged...it is not really pursued

4) You have to fill out a card in the beginning with all your personal info but other than that...nothing

5) Materials are organized by grade/subject/publisher

Thanks!

You may be interested in this Yahoo group, I've pasted their description.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschoollibrary/

--------

Do you love those OOP (out-of-print) living books? Are you on a mission to preserve as many as you can? Would you love to make them available to other homeschoolers in your area?

I have operated a Homeschool Library of over 9,000 living children's books for the past four years. Throughout that time, I have had many questions from others across the nation that have a desire to do the same...that is the reason for this group! I intend to open discussion to provide practical help and encouragement to those who feel the call to this type of ministry in their home.

How should I organize? Where do find the good books? How do I deal with the logistics of membership? Please join us to offer and receive help in this tremendously rewarding but often overwhelming task!

This group will be moderated to ensure a wholesome, Christian environment for all members.

--------

They are pretty active and I often see posts from Michelle Miller of Truthquest and Elizabeth Cottrill of Living Books Library. Questions have ranged from those you've asked (hours, policies) to suggestions for book repair. There's also a database showing homeschool libraries which are open/in the works so you can find one near you (not that there are a ton, but it's nice to know).

Edited by leeyeewah

TIA!

Ours had a yearly membership and was open on Fridays. There was a clearly stated letter given out and signed by each family with the rules of the library, including how they handled damaged/missing books.

Materials were organized just like in a town library including a separate section for picture books.

Here is their link: http://www.livingbookslibrary.com/2011/02/welcome-to-living-books-library.html