Menu

Graduation requirements

Well, most states don't have requirements for homeschoolers to graduate; many don't have requirements for private schools, either.

I think you're safe (unless and until you find such a site) if you stick with something like this:

4 years English (each year to include grammar, composition, and literature)

3 years of social sciences (world and U.S. history, U.S. government)

3 years (or more) of math, algebra and above

2-3 years of science, biology and above

You could add electives such as foreign language (2-4 years of the same language), computer skills, fine arts, etc.

Alternatively, if your dc is college-bound, you could find out what prospective colleges want from homeschooled applicants and plan that way.

Our school district has a website that lists the graduation requirements. If you google your local school district or your state+graduation requirements you should come up with this. Even more important if your child is planning on college, what are your state college's requirements, or college requirements where she wants to attend?

Thanks, ladies! I think I will see if our local school district has anything on their site. I just want to make sure we are in the same ball park as the public school, not that it says a whole lot. Dd has no idea what she wants to do yet much less where she wants to go - reminds me of myself at her age and I'm still working on it. :tongue_smilie:

Connie

and see what your student's potential colleges require. I know here in VA there are no requirements for homeschoolers when it comes to graduation. Besides, if you student is college bound, you probably don't want your state's minimum requirements anyway. Your college of choice may require more. For example, in VA no foreign language is required for graduation but most colleges want at least 3 years of a single foreign language. I found that many colleges websites will tell you what they want to see and some even have suggestions for homeschoolers.

Here in FL, the real deciding point (IMO) is eligibility for Bright Futures Scholarships. The ps has an 18 credit "fast track to college" program that covers that, plus it's the basic info you'd expect a hs grad to have covered.

Graduation Requirements for the 18-credit / 3 Year College Preparatory Graduation Program for Students Entering 9th Grade in 2004 and Beyond (F.S. 1003.429): Course Requirements: Standard College Preparatory Program (3 year)

English 4 credits (major concentration in composition and literature)

Mathematics 3 credits at the Algebra 1 level or above from the list of courses that qualify for state university admission

Science 3 credits in natural science (two must have a laboratory component)

Social Studies 3 credits (1 Credit in American History, 1 Credit In World History, 1/2 Credit in American Government and 1/2 Credit in Economics) Foreign Language 2 credits or demonstrated proficiency in a second language

Practical Arts/Performing Fine Arts no requirements

Life Management Skills no requirements

Physical Education no requirements

Electives 3 credits from the approved list for state university admission