Menu

Legos and Algeblocks

Feels kind of strange to post a blog link after the comments on self-promotion, but anyway, DD and I did some creative problem solving today that I thought you might enjoy :)

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2012/07/where-theres-will-theres-lego-way.html

I'm sure glad you posted. I was going to suggest on the k-8 thread after we talked about Algeblocks that you blog about your lessons. :D

Dd is having a lot of fun using Algeblocks and Lab Gear blocks. It's such a great way to learn algebra for kiddos, even for older kids.

Do you have an iPad? We downloaded dragonbox which is an algebra app/game and dd loves it. If you haven't already you might try it. My dd is a more reluctant math student than yours but she played that for hours. This is confirming my suspicion that we should move faster & get to algebra because she's bored with arithmetic.

Can someone explain what Dragonbox is? I don't have an ipad, but my husband does. He hates to pay for downloads, and I can't find any real info online, so please tell me why it's so great (so I can convince him to buy it). :) I think my math-phobic older son might like it??

I think they would if you built them proportionally for the squares and cubes. However, there aren't elements of exactly the right sizes for the squares and multiples, so you'd likely want to put flats under the Xs and Ys so you could use a baseplate for the larger units. I'd also suggest putting finishing tiles on top to avoid the possibility of a child trying to define X=4 because it has 4 pegs visible (that's why the official algeblocks aren't even cm). It's worth trying if you already have a big lego collection, probably not cost-effective if you don't, since that would be a lot of legos of specific colors.