Menu

Wordpress: Pay vs. free?

This is all totally new to me. I like visiting websites that are pretty and well-organized, but I don't have a clue how to make one!

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the pay site and the free site?

I can't write a single line of "code"...whatever that is! :tongue_smilie:

I believe the only difference between the "pay" and the "free" sites, are that with the free site, your address is yourblogname.wordpress.com, and the paid site is yourblogname.com without the wordpress in there. I would just use the free, unless you're trying to do a professional blog.

Anyway, if you go to learn.wordpress.com, it takes you through it step by step. It's very simple to get started. HTH.

With the pay site, you can use more plug-ins, ads, custom forms, etc. You would also be able to have a domain name without the extension, such as http://www.yournamehere.com, rather than http://www.yournamehere.wordpress.com.

If you aren't techy, it's easiest to have the free site. You can always change to a hosted site later if you decide to learn more and want to expand your range.

with the pay site, you will also have to pay a company to host your blog on their computers. If wordpress looks too confusing to you, you might want to try blogger, it is very easy to use for a newbie :001_smile:

The free one is easy to set up and use. It has paid options.

You can also download the software and set it up with your own domain name. You can customize it any way you'd like that way. I have my own server and use this option.

If you need more help, just ask! :001_smile:

With the 'free'' version you can also upgrade to customize your URL for a modest extra charge. When I set up my blog I opted to it and was able to do it there on the site with no hassle.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to be an affiliate with Amazon or any other monetizing sources, you will not be allowed to do so with the online Wordpress template version. You would have to go with the download software version (wordpress.org), get a host, etc. Or you could just go with Blogger.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One
corrections

Note that there is no paid version of Wordpress.

There is the free: http://www.wordpress.com

You can purchase paid add ons if you think they are necessary. It is free to use and everything is set up and maintained for you. You can't use any sort of ads on it, and you are limited in what you can do with the blog (customizing looks/feel).

The other version is also free: http://www.wordpress.org

You will need to have a domain or server space in order to use it, and that may be where money comes in to play. The domain name can run you around $10-$15/year and the server space to house it can start as low as a couple bucks a month. You will need to install the application yourself. (or have one us lovely ladies help you out)

OK. We have a website now, but it is very outdated.

So, if I would like to keep that address i need to use wordpress.org?

If your current website is a paid website, log in to the admin board and look for the option to install wordpress. Not all hosts offer it.

Then, backup any content you want to keep from your old site. When I installed wordpress it deleted all my old stuff. Choose a theme you want to use. There are free themes and paid themes.

Go through your host's wordpress install. Usually the admin page has an automatic install thing. Then you follow their directions to upload the theme you want (or choose one they have for you). Then you spend some time personalizing things and uploading content.

If you're computer savvy but have no wordpress experience, it will probably take 2 days to get everything switched over and customized. It has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it everything is much easier. If you want to customize a theme, you can download it to your computer, edit the images in photoshop, and install the whole thing like a new theme. That's the easiest way I've found, anyway. Good luck!