Menu

freaking out-first year Sonlight(core 100)

I made a big mistake and bought the 2010 IG used. I thought it was the most current edition and I could get the student books as well. It wasnt till it came that I discovered my mistake:glare:

I am trying to go through it and see exactly what I need to get set up for the coming year and i just dont get it. It seems the orginal owner placed the study guides and the answers in the sections by week but that doesnt work out exactly with page breaks. i think I can deal with that, but I cant figure out what to give to my kids. I have 2 doing it and since the student books are not the same edition(will it matter?) I was going to copy the schedules and anything they needed to complete their weekly assignments and put together a book for them. But maybe I could just remove the study guide pages(no answers) and place them in a smaller notebook for them to refer to. BUT, the writing assignments are mixed in somewhere, I cant even always FIND them???

The whole thing is making me very frusterated as the reason I went with Sonlight instead of AO which we've done for years is because it was all done and laid out for me.(I had to do a lot of treaking etc with AO and always created my own schedules) I am not feeling that right now. Except I do love the weekly charts!

I need to have this be as independant as possible. We will be reading the Hakim books aloud as a whole family with some of the younger kids doing D+E. But I am not sure, other than handing my high schoolers the weekly schedule what I am supposed to have them do? I do not wish to do all the discussion questions orally as in reality it wont happen consistently and I want a written record of work.

So do they use the study guide and then we can check with the answers? Do they write out each vocab word and definition or??? Do i seperate this back out so its not all by week? would that make more sense to me?:confused:

Should I try to sell this and get the 2011 edition with the student books? I am so sad that I made this mistake:tongue_smilie:

I would seperate it all back out. The schedule and then the study guides and then the answer keys. When I had a kidlet do Sonlight 100 several years back, I required him to write answers that I could grade, because, like you, I had several littles and just couldn't make the time commitment to do oral discussion all the time.

As far as the vocabulary, we've done it a few different ways. Sometimes we've ignored it (probably not the best option). Sometimes I've had them write it all out (but that didn't seem very effective). The method my kids liked best, though it was time consuming for me, (I think I got this idea from Merry here on the boards and on the Sonlight boards), was that I made up little bookmarks in my word processor that had each word with the definition right there. They used the bookmarks as they read the books and could look up the words or just read through them by section so they were familiar with them as they read.

The writing assignments are in the study guide for each book. Yes, they are hard to find at first but I think if you put the study guide back together (instead of in weeks) you'll be able to find them a bit easier.

I made a big mistake and bought the 2010 IG used. I thought it was the most current edition and I could get the student books as well. It wasnt till it came that I discovered my mistake:glare:

I don't understand. What was your mistake? I don't think that Core 100 was revised this year. I have bought all my IGs (3+4, 6, 7, and 100) used. I never try to buy the exact editions of books that SL sells. It isn't a problem at all. Just watch out for abridged books. They do use them (rarely I think) and if you don't, you'll need to adjust for the extra time. Great Expectations taught us that lesson.

As far as the way your IG was arranged, I bought one arranged like that once. It works when you pull everything you need into one week, then you move the things that go with you to the next week. The problem is that when you buy it used, everything is under the last week it was used, not the first and it can be terribly difficult to find things. Just take it all apart and put it back together sectionally. The bottom of each page should say what section it is from (Readers, Student guide, teacher's guide, etc.). I don't have a high school IG here to look at to tell you exactly what those sections are.

As far as how to use it, there is a student section you can hand your student weekly or for the year. You can put it in a separate binder along with the schedule if you want to be hands off. It has the book notes and writing assignments in it. It does not have answers.

I combined 100 with D+E a few years ago and it was a great match. We read the History of US books out loud and the D+E readers/read alouds matched up PERFECTLY! It was our all time favorite year of SL. You haven't made any mistakes. You will probably spend an hour sorting your IG, but that will be the end of it. Your planning is done from that point.

Hate to say it, but YES, it was a big mistake to buy an upper level SL IG used! The new design is SO, SO much more user friendly. There truly is no comparison to the frustrating, jumbled, confusing mess of the older IGs. In my mind, the only remedy is to do whatever it takes to get an updated IG. With the new IGs, you will have the parent guide that has ALL the notes, ALL the questions and complete answers for it all. The student guides also have their own complete schedule like the parent guide has, and of course all the notes and questions and writing assignments right on the back page of the weekly schedule and 2 students can easily share one student guide. I highly recommend you upgrade, especially for Core 100---I guarantee you will be pulling your hair out with confusion and frustration trying to use it not only with 2 students, but just trying to cover the notes, Q&A :glare: With the version you have, the parent's guide portion does NOT have the notes the student is supposed to read, does NOT contain the complete questions asked to the student and the writing assignments are contained in some mysterious nether portion of the guide----I found the 'joys' of the continual flipping back and forth from student guide to parent guide so frustrating when dd used this, that we finally gave up on using the guide at all! I will be purchasing the updated guide for ds for this reason alone.

:grouphug: It is frustrating! But you can probably make it work, or at least try and sell it and buy the new one. Maybe you could even call Sonlight and let them know you bought it used but want to upgrade...they may give you credit if you give them the older version. It never hurts to ask.

Also try to do this and see if it helps:

I would seperate it all back out. The schedule and then the study guides and then the answer keys. When I had a kidlet do Sonlight 100 several years back, I required him to write answers that I could grade, because, like you, I had several littles and just couldn't make the time commitment to do oral discussion all the time.

As far as the vocabulary, we've done it a few different ways. Sometimes we've ignored it (probably not the best option). Sometimes I've had them write it all out (but that didn't seem very effective). The method my kids liked best, though it was time consuming for me, (I think I got this idea from Merry here on the boards and on the Sonlight boards), was that I made up little bookmarks in my word processor that had each word with the definition right there. They used the bookmarks as they read the books and could look up the words or just read through them by section so they were familiar with them as they read.

The writing assignments are in the study guide for each book. Yes, they are hard to find at first but I think if you put the study guide back together (instead of in weeks) you'll be able to find them a bit easier.

When we did Sonlight, we did ignore the vocabulary most of the time because we were using different vocabulary programs. The words he didn't know, he would look up as he read it in context.

Edited by jadedone80

Hate to say it, but YES, it was a big mistake to buy an upper level SL IG used! The new design is SO, SO much more user friendly. There truly is no comparison to the frustrating, jumbled, confusing mess of the older IGs. In my mind, the only remedy is to do whatever it takes to get an updated IG. With the new IGs, you will have the parent guide that has ALL the notes, ALL the questions and complete answers for it all. The student guides also have their own complete schedule like the parent guide has, and of course all the notes and questions and writing assignments right on the back page of the weekly schedule and 2 students can easily share one student guide. I highly recommend you upgrade, especially for Core 100---I guarantee you will be pulling your hair out with confusion and frustration trying to use it not only with 2 students, but just trying to cover the notes, Q&A :glare: With the version you have, the parent's guide portion does NOT have the notes the student is supposed to read, does NOT contain the complete questions asked to the student and the writing assignments are contained in some mysterious nether portion of the guide----I found the 'joys' of the continual flipping back and forth from student guide to parent guide so frustrating when dd used this, that we finally gave up on using the guide at all! I will be purchasing the updated guide for ds for this reason alone.

I totally agree. The IG has been totally reorganized since 2010. I had the old version and liked it(well, I guess I just got used to it, I adapt well:)) But I would not even consider trying to use the new student pages with the old IG. It will be very frustrating for you. Not a good way to start a new curriculum. Just buy the new IG.

I, too, had a bought a used IG, but earlier this month decided to just buy the whole core and save myself the headache. There is a big enough difference in the IG's that I would encourage you to buy the 2011 or 2012 version to save your sanity. It really is so much better.

:iagree: I totally agree with this! You think you are freaking out and the year hasn't even started for you yet. And although rearranging your IG -- separating the components out -- will help some, there are still the issues of flip, flip, flip, look here, or to find 6 weeks later something that should have been covered, or to wish that your student had the same notes as you -- or to realize that that your student has more questions (or fewer) than in the answer key -- and then when you are going over questions, you don't even realize that some have been asked --- because there are no answers to those questions, that's why those questions are not even in your teacher's guide but the student's only. And is your student going to say, mom, I had 3 more questions you didn't ask me? My kids never did.

And if you wonder why my sentence goes on and on like I'm out of breath, it's because that is how it will feel using that old IG (some old things are better burned than resold). You will spin your wheels trying to make sense of it and be frustrated more often than not. Ask me how I know this. :glare: Three times - no, four - I have used the old guide and it did not get easier. Every experience left me feeling like there was so much more that I didn't use than what I did.

Breath of fresh air, that new IG is!! It is everything I ever asked for. The parent IG matches the student IG word-for-word except the answers. Love it, love it.

Being new to Sonlight, you do not realize the cost of frustration in this old IG. Please let my experience influence your choices. Frustrating materials are the enemy of my homeschooling. With as much "oomph" as I can muster up, I strongly, strongly advise you to buy the new IG!

:iagree: I totally agree with this! You think you are freaking out and the year hasn't even started for you yet. And although rearranging your IG -- separating the components out -- will help some, there are still the issues of flip, flip, flip, look here, or to find 6 weeks later something that should have been covered, or to wish that your student had the same notes as you -- or to realize that that your student has more questions (or fewer) than in the answer key -- and then when you are going over questions, you don't even realize that some have been asked --- because there are no answers to those questions, that's why those questions are not even in your teacher's guide but the student's only. And is your student going to say, mom, I had 3 more questions you didn't ask me? My kids never did.

And if you wonder why my sentence goes on and on like I'm out of breath, it's because that is how it will feel using that old IG (some old things are better burned than resold). You will spin your wheels trying to make sense of it and be frustrated more often than not. Ask me how I know this. :glare: Three times - no, four - I have used the old guide and it did not get easier. Every experience left me feeling like there was so much more that I didn't use than what I did.

Breath of fresh air, that new IG is!! It is everything I ever asked for. The parent IG matches the student IG word-for-word except the answers. Love it, love it.

Being new to Sonlight, you do not realize the cost of frustration in this old IG. Please let my experience influence your choices. Frustrating materials are the enemy of my homeschooling. With as much "oomph" as I can muster up, I strongly, strongly advise you to buy the new IG!

Laughing from this description and agreeing with your extended description of the frustration!

:iagree:

:crying::crying::crying: Waaaa! I was trying to save money.

But it is not worth it to me to be as frusterated as it sounds like I will be.

So, I will be able to get away with one student book? They are used to sharing books and such but Im worried it will be too much to share if they need to both see questions and such at the same time. Our day is packed and we have to be efficient. They cant really be waiting around for each other.

I LOVE the bookmark idea for vocab. Were the definitions also on them? I really dont have time to do this but would buy a PDF if someone else has already done it:001_smile: But as they will be reading the same books Im not sure that would work either. we also have another vocab program but I dont love it and feel like vocab is so much better learned in context. Hmmm.

For the study guide questions, its not really like workbook format, so did you have them answer in complete sentences on another paper or typed? they would prefer to type but I know if I dont spell it out I will get one word answers. Or maybe that is ok? I dont want it to be busy work but I want more from this year then simply read the book, maybe talk a bit about it and then maybe write a half-hearted narration on it:tongue_smilie:

We also plan to do the tests with the Hakim books.

I have to have everything ready, copied and set up before we start because I am just too busy with the whole family to do any prep on a weekly basis. Any other hints would be so helpful. Thanks!!

You can always just get one student guide and look it over to see if it will logistically work with 2 students, and then purchase another if necessary. As far as answering questions, you could allow shorter answers if you plan on going over answers together with them. I know I had dd answer questions in a notebook, but the IG problems prevented me from actually being able to go over answers effectively with her, so I'm afraid I don't have very good experiential advice on that one :001_huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I spent the money and bought the new IG. It came and is making no more sense then the first one :-( I thought that each weeks assignments were supposed to be together?!? There is still a separate section for each history and lit book in the back and with the way the page breaks are I can't place them behind the weeks schedule. I am still going to be flipping all over the place. I am so frusterated and feel like I wasted the $100 I just spent :-( the student book is the same. But it is not how the samples from the website printed. It was all integrated in the sample. Am I missing something?

No, you aren't missing something. It is set up in sections. In the lower years I set up in the giant binder with their tabs. Each week I pulled my schedule and the needed guides and put them in a separate folder. I continually updated my small folder.

This year we have Core 200 with a new IG. What I have done is create several lightweight folders for both dd and I.

I used the cheap colored folders with pockets and three brads(I think that is the proper name). Dd has blue. Mine are every other color. We both have several categories. Schedule, history--I believe one guide needed its own folder, lit guides, bible--the catechism book has it's own. I made nice labels for each folder. The system seems to be working well for dd. She is self studying for the most part. I am just reading along with her.

The big advantage to the new IG are the student pages. They really are nice IMO. If you really are not happy consider returning it. I have no idea what their policy is for one item. I have a feeling it might be difficult but I don't know.:grouphug:

For the study guide questions, its not really like workbook format, so did you have them answer in complete sentences on another paper or typed? they would prefer to type but I know if I dont spell it out I will get one word answers. Or maybe that is ok? I dont want it to be busy work but I want more from this year then simply read the book, maybe talk a bit about it and then maybe write a half-hearted narration on it:tongue_smilie:

I had ds write notes to the questions and we did everything orally. I asked the questions out loud and he answered. I read somethings I had in my parent guide and he read aloud the things that were only in his student guide(this was the older version) It worked very well for us. I would not like to just sit and grade the answers. I would actually HATE that. We had some great discussions. Core 100 is my favorite core in SL. I have done P4/5 through 100.

No, you aren't missing something. It is set up in sections. In the lower years I set up in the giant binder with their tabs. Each week I pulled my schedule and the needed guides and put them in a separate folder. I continually updated my small folder.

This year we have Core 200 with a new IG. What I have done is create several lightweight folders for both dd and I.

I used the cheap colored folders with pockets and three brads(I think that is the proper name). Dd has blue. Mine are every other color. We both have several categories. Schedule, history--I believe one guide needed its own folder, lit guides, bible--the catechism book has it's own. I made nice labels for each folder. The system seems to be working well for dd. She is self studying for the most part. I am just reading along with her.

The big advantage to the new IG are the student pages. They really are nice IMO. If you really are not happy consider returning it. I have no idea what their policy is for one item. I have a feeling it might be difficult but I don't know.:grouphug:

Thank you! It seems the way you have it organized would work well for us, especially since I have 2 sharing the guide. I planned to copy the schedules for each of them so they can write on them and use them for their weekly assignments already.

Am I understanding that you put each lit book and history book in its own folder? That seems like alot of folders! But I cant see how they would all fit in one. Perhaps each terms lit and each terms history, for a total of six? I already bought a huge binder for each:tongue_smilie: but just the sheer size of it makes me not want to use it! So seperating it somehow seems the best for me.

When you say your dd is self-studying, are you having her write out answers? Or are you doing the discussion orally like other posters have mentioned?

Thanks again! The guide was not what I was expecting, but I will figure out how to make it work. Another poster mentioned the flipping back and forth issue and thats what I thought was resolved. I cant see how this does not still involve a whole lot of flipping around, unless you make individual folders. It still seems that having the info for the WHOLE week in the same spot would be better. Oh well, I feel confident we will have a great year as soon as I work the logistics out:001_smile:

For the guides I pulled out the fattest one and it in its own folder. For you I would that would be the History of the US guides. I have never seen this core. Maybe 2 folders if really thick. After pulling out the thick ones I was able to have a literature and a history separately. You could divide alphabetically if needed. I think dd has six folders.

With the folder system(doesn't that sound fancy?) I do not pull out the week's work. They just follow their schedule and use the folders as needed. The labels make it pretty easy. We also use sticky notes as tabs.

Independently -- I am trying to stay ahead of her reading and we are discussing verbally. Dd loves to read so with the novels she doesn't follow the schedule other than the starting point.

For the Catechism part of 200 she is writing her answers. The book is set up perfectly for this. It also will hopefully mean she can skip a class at church, so we have our reasons!:lol:

If you have time to read the Sonlight material it is really enjoyable. I really feel like I am a part of their learning when I read it all. My Ds is finishing core 7 this year--the binder system. Where i pull the weeks guides etc out to one folder. I actively read each days assignment with him. He needs constant interaction to get anything out of it. But he is getting the historical connections.

Let me know if you have more questions.:001_smile: