Menu

those of you who have their child in CC did you purchase a digital recorder for your student? I am wondering since this will be my son's first "in-classroom" class, I was thinking a digital recorder would be great for him--he hates taking notes.

If you did what did you purchase? Did your student think it helped them?

Not sure I'd recommend going the route of recording class lectures, depending on what the class is... Many college classes have Power Point type of presentations that are also available online for the student to review at home. And many classes don't really work well via a recording. For example, math classes are often all done on the board, so if you're not writing down the series of steps in how to solve the problems, you will be lost trying to figure it out from a recording.

Finally (and most importantly), how willing would your student be to sit through each and every lecture TWICE (or more)? Once in the classroom and then again (several times??) at home for study purposes?

Our younger DS has some LDs, particularly in the area of writing, and because it is difficult for him he *hates* writing of any kind, especially note-taking. However, he has just learned how to suck it up and do what he needs to do to get the key information down for himself, both with the Teaching Company lecture classes we did at home, and then with his dual enrollment classes at the community college. Honestly, there is NO way he could have (or would have) listened to tapes of classes again later on... But every student is different.

This series of blog entries on notetaking meant for real-life college classes -- fantastic, practical, specific tips and helps -- may aid your DS in streamlining the process of notetaking.

Have you looked into use of an i-pad or other electronic device that would facilitate note-taking for your DS? There are even i-pod apps and phone apps for note-taking. Here and here are reviews of a few.

How about exposure to alternative note-taking methods, such as mind mapping / concept mapping, or, picture notetaking / visual notetaking (the example links to young children's picture notes, but this concept can be used by ages).

And finally, the Study Guides and Strategies website and the How to Study website each has a lot of useful information on lots of study skills (notetaking included), distilled down into easy to absorb short articles, and many links to additional resources.

Okay, I know I didn't answer your original question :tongue_smilie:, but just wanted to give you options! BEST of luck in finding what works best for your DS. Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Mine never needed one. One Prof did have all of her lectures online if the students wanted to listen to it again. Middle son put those on our computer... so... when we're listening to music on the computer - shuffled - sometimes we get one of the lectures. ;) We tend to skip it.

Lori D's post is great. Let me add another tip. When my son was in a lecture intensive history course at the CC, he always made a copy of his notes for one of his dyslexic friends who was also enrolled in the class. She could not keep up with the rapid fire notetaking that was needed in the class so she did her best and then filled in with help of my son's notes.

I will also add that I believe note taking can be a useful study technique for some students. Some process things quite well aurally; others need to write down key words or concepts for solidification. When I was in grad school, I often copied my class notes over again as this seemed to help my overall memory function with details.

I will also add that I believe note taking can be a useful study technique for some students. Some process things quite well aurally; others need to write down key words or concepts for solidification.

Jane's points are really good. :)

Notetaking means a student is (and *has* to be) an *active* listener to the lecture. Turning on/trusting a recorder is likely to result in the student tuning out the lecture. (And what if the recorder fails, or the student forgets to turn it on??)

I got echo pens for my girls. These are pens that you write with on special paper. They record the lecture and tie it to what you are writing. Click the pen on your notes and it will start the lecture from that point.

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/smartpen/echo/

My oldest only had an issue with one professor who didn't want people recording. She just had to get paperwork from the Student Accessibility office to be able to record in his class.

I got echo pens for my girls. These are pens that you write with on special paper. They record the lecture and tie it to what you are writing. Click the pen on your notes and it will start the lecture from that point.

Angie, I had completely forgotten about these! A friend of ours who is a movie reviewer has one. It was truly the most amazing thing!

I have been wondering if I would be wasting money on a device that he might not use or will forget to use.

I am definitely going to look into the sites and items that you both have mentioned.

Thank you again..I think I am just nervous for him.

We were nervous, too, and got our son one of the livescribe pens. He said it made him feel much more secure at the beginning. Part way through the semester, he gained enough confidence that he switched to using a regular pen. Very cool technology indeed. I think this is much more practical than recording the whole lecture. My younger one has STEM classes and said that the material was also in the textbook, and since he knows how to read a textbook, this worked as a good backup for his notes. My older boys said their prof's put their lecture notes online so they didn't need an echo pen (we offered). You could wait for the semester to begin and then, if your son seems to need one, go buy one, if you are worried about the expense.

Nan