Menu

Considering Orthodoxy - ? for Orthodox Moms

Hi Ladies -

Our family is beginning to explore Orthodoxy.....we're standing at the start of a long journey. I am reading "Facing East" and dh is going to visit with the priest this week.

He was raised Orthodox as a child, but due to family situations moved away and now feels called but "like he knows the music but forgot the words."

I think there is a group here - can I join? :001_smile: I want to know what I don't know! :tongue_smilie:

Michele

Hi Ladies -

Our family is beginning to explore Orthodoxy.....we're standing at the start of a long journey. I am reading "Facing East" and dh is going to visit with the priest this week.

He was raised Orthodox as a child, but due to family situations moved away and now feels called but "like he knows the music but forgot the words."

I think there is a group here - can I join? :001_smile: I want to know what I don't know! :tongue_smilie:

Michele

LOL - I forgot to add that I chuckled at your last sentence... it is SO true. There is just so much that was left out of my religious and secular education... it's as if the whole Eastern half of the Christian world never existed! My 16 yr old was lamenting this about her history class (she goes to a Prot. Christian school) and I told her I had the same experience in public school.

BTW, I love Frederica Matthewes-Green - she's a great writer.

Hi Michele, I will watch for your request to join the group. Our family of nine converted 2.5 years ago. I appreciated what your husband said about "[knowing] the music but [forgetting] the words." We had an infant baptism at our parish yesterday, the first at our mission. In his homily, our priest spoke along these lines, saying that this child is now oriented to the east for the rest of his life (in the words of your husband, he knows the music). The words will come with time.

Blessings on your journey!

Edited by milovaný

Any orthodox religious education books for children of about middle school age?

There is a great group of Orthodox homeschoolers online that can probably answer that question better than I.

When you say religious - do you mean history - or spirituality?

For history:

"Heroes of the Faith" by Sophie Koulomzin

"The Orthodox Faith Volume 3 - Bible and Church History" by Fr. Thomas Hopko.

For Spirituality - I really like "A Year of Grace of the Lord" by a monk of the Eastern Church. It's subtitle is: A Scriptural and Liturgical Commentary on the Calendar of the Orthodox Church. I like this book a lot and I think if you read it with your ms it would be quite beneficial. Some of the sections tend to go on and on... but you can just skip the bits that are bogging you down.

HTH!

These books on The Living God are very good as a catechism and can be used for that age. These ones are kind of a sequel to the above, but with a different emphasis (the feasts of the Church).

ETA - Debbi has some great recommendations too! We really like The Year of The Grace of the Lord as well.

Edited by milovaný

Any orthodox religious education books for children of about middle school age?

Priscilla, we are using this set of books this year. They are filled with truly beautiful sketches of Icons and various other religious art. It goes through the entire liturgical year as our catechism is literally lived through that cycle. I hope that makes sense! :D

Fr. Peter Gillquist, who wrote the book Becoming Orthodox, departed this life yesterday. His book is the story of the journey several pastors jointly took in the early 1980s, which resulted in approximately 2000 people all across the country being received into the Orthodox church at one time in (I think) 1987. The publisher's description includes these words: "It is also the story of every believer who is searching for the Church where Christ is Lord, where holiness, human responsibility, and the Sovereignty of God are preached, where fellowship is more than a covered-dish supper in the church basement, and where fads and fashion take a back seat to apostolic worship and doctrine." It is one of the most common books people looking into the Orthodox faith read (including ourselves), and for many, the discovery is life changing. This has been true for our family and I'm so thankful that Fr. Peter penned this book.

May his memory be eternal!

Fr. Peter Gillquist, who wrote the book Becoming Orthodox, departed this life yesterday. His book is the story of the journey several pastors jointly took in the early 1980s, which resulted in approximately 2000 people all across the country being received into the Orthodox church at one time in (I think) 1987. The publisher's description includes these words: "It is also the story of every believer who is searching for the Church where Christ is Lord, where holiness, human responsibility, and the Sovereignty of God are preached, where fellowship is more than a covered-dish supper in the church basement, and where fads and fashion take a back seat to apostolic worship and doctrine." It is one of the most common books people looking into the Orthodox faith read (including ourselves), and for many, the discovery is life changing. This has been true for our family and I'm so thankful that Fr. Peter penned this book.

May his memory be eternal!

Wow, it's a small world. My in-laws knew Fr. Gillquist well. We were all having dinner when my husband heard the news of his passing last night. It sounds like he had a blessed last few weeks, full of family visiting.