Menu

Could someone please give me some advice?

I am going to stop taking oral antibiotics for my acne soon. They are not working and they make me very tired and somewhat lightheaded when standing. I am going to give zinc a try, along with goldenseel, burdock root tea, bentonite clay (as a drink) and possibly a probiotic. Hopefully I will be able to make it to the store this afternoon. But I admit I am a bit frightened about weaning myself off of the medicine, what if all I try doesn't work? I mean it is a bit scary thinking about it and what my face could turn out too, but then what do I have to lose?

Would this be enough? Is there anything else I can try? I am so desperate for a solution! And sorry to keep asking so many questions!:bigear::bigear:

Eliminate dairy, especially high fat dairy: cheese, sour cream, and butter. Wash only with warm water, nothing else. This is what helped my son who had horrible acne. It also helped reduce my adult acne to almost nothing.

Eliminating soap and face products stopped the cystic acne, eliminating the dairy fat dramatically helped the regular zit type acne.

Eliminate dairy, especially high fat dairy: cheese, sour cream, and butter. Wash only with warm water, nothing else. This is what helped my son who had horrible acne. It also helped reduce my adult acne to almost nothing.

Eliminating soap and face products stopped the cystic acne, eliminating the dairy fat dramatically helped the regular zit type acne.

I have but it just isn't working either.......:confused:

Washing with warm water is good, but if you live in a dry climate, be sure to moisturize. Dry skin gets irritated, leading to more oil production and more acne. Put on a good cream moisturizer (we use Cera Ve or Cetaphil cream) after you wash.

I am glad you are quitting the antibiotic. It is not good to take them all the time. It will wipe out the good flora in you body. Also encase you did not know it is not good to take Goldenseal for longer than two weeks at a time. The reason being is it does the same thing to your body as antibiotics. Have you ever tried kelp for your acne? Also I know I suggested this already but this tea is the only thing that helped my acne. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Women%27s+Freedom+Tea

It helps my acne, weight loss, and psoriasis all in one. Burdock root is one of its ingredients.

I have heard people say that they have had amazing results using raw unrefined honey to wash the face, then, counterintuitively I admit, using coconut (also raw, unrefined) oil afterwards to moisturize. I have not done this myself, but it makes sense to me. Honey is naturally antibacterial, and coconut is an amazing substance. :001_smile:

I am glad you are quitting the antibiotic. It is not good to take them all the time. It will wipe out the good flora in you body. Also encase you did not know it is not good to take Goldenseal for longer than two weeks at a time. The reason being is it does the same thing to your body as antibiotics. Have you ever tried kelp for your acne? Also I know I suggested this already but this tea is the only thing that helped my acne. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Women%27s+Freedom+Tea

It helps my acne, weight loss, and psoriasis all in one. Burdock root is one of its ingredients.

No I have not tried kelp, would it be of use and women's freedom tea might help as well. I am just so nervous!

It kept formatting my editing oddly.

Anyhow, I d think the zinc will help. Do you drink a lot of water? That can help too.

I used to do, and should do again, 10 minute raw honey masks for my face. Warm, very gently, a little raw honey, massage into the skin and let sit for 10-15 minutes, rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Other things I have found that help are keeping properly moisturized, and using witch hazel as a "toner".

It kept formatting my editing oddly.

Anyhow, I d think the zinc will help. Do you drink a lot of water? That can help too.

I used to do, and should do again, 10 minute raw honey masks for my face. Warm, very gently, a little raw honey, massage into the skin and let sit for 10-15 minutes, rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Other things I have found that help are keeping properly moisturized, and using witch hazel as a "toner".

Hmm I never tried the raw honey. Would that be used everyday? And what is a toner? I am going to try the zinc asap and see if that will help. Thank you!

I feel your pain! I've struggled with acne my entire life!

A few things you may know, but I wish someone had told me sooner:

1. change pillowcases frequently (every day/every other day), don't let your sheets/comforter touch your face

2. cut back or ideally don't use hair products

3. don't let shampoo run over your face when you shower (a derm told me this one - I had no idea it could trigger acne!)

4. don't touch your face, don't let your phone touch your face (hold a bit away - I kept getting acne on the side of my chin from this one!), make sure you don't touch your face in your sleep

5. i cut milk products out of my diet and my skin improved DRASTICALLY

6. also - a low fat diet has helped me

7. I have had good results with cetaphil and also the olay face cleaner machine (I wash with hands first then follow up with the machine thing)

8. lots of water!

Also I wanted to add - I am one of the few that probiotics make my acne worse. Just wanted to throw that out there in case that happens to you :)

GL!

Why don't you start the zinc (and the other stuff) before you wean off the antibiotic? At least allow some overlap. Otherwise, if you wean off the antibiotic before starting the new stuff, the acne may be raging again and you'd be starting the new methods from a worse position.

I feel your pain! I've struggled with acne my entire life!

A few things you may know, but I wish someone had told me sooner:

1. change pillowcases frequently (every day/every other day), don't let your sheets/comforter touch your face

2. cut back or ideally don't use hair products

3. don't let shampoo run over your face when you shower (a derm told me this one - I had no idea it could trigger acne!)

4. don't touch your face, don't let your phone touch your face (hold a bit away - I kept getting acne on the side of my chin from this one!), make sure you don't touch your face in your sleep

5. i cut milk products out of my diet and my skin improved DRASTICALLY

6. also - a low fat diet has helped me

7. I have had good results with cetaphil and also the olay face cleaner machine (I wash with hands first then follow up with the machine thing)

8. lots of water!

Also I wanted to add - I am one of the few that probiotics make my acne worse. Just wanted to throw that out there in case that happens to you :)

GL!

Thank you for the tips, I will keep this in mind while weaning off the antibiotics. Thank you again!

Why don't you start the zinc (and the other stuff) before you wean off the antibiotic? At least allow some overlap. Otherwise, if you wean off the antibiotic before starting the new stuff, the acne may be raging again and you'd be starting the new methods from a worse position.

This makes absolute perfect sense, and it it is whqt I will be doing. I am going to start zinc, and then slowly add in burdock root tea and a hormonal tea for women. Vitamin A and E were also recommended to me to clear skin, but I will try the zinc first. Thank you all for you help!