Menu

replacing refined sugar

My family has switched to using honey and maple syrup for just about everything. A little maple syrup (and I mean a little!) is yummy in coffee! You can replace the white sugar in many recipes with honey. It wouldn't work well in recipes where you have to cream butter and sugar together, like for cookies, but it works great in muffins (I also lower the overall amount) and other recipes.

I found a lot of recipes on this website: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com

What do you use to replace white sugar?

Why are you wanting to replace it? Are you looking for sweetener replacements? And what are you using your sugar/replacement in?

For dh, he just cut out sugar when he was diagnosed pre-diabetic. He occasionally has a Coke zero, though. For the rest of us we try to cut out hfcs and reduce the quantity of sugar in recipes that use it except for cookies. I haven't replaced white sugar. My mom likes agave nectar. She says it works better in tea because it dissolves more quickly than honey.

Well, I try to avoid the insulin response, so while I like honey and maple syrup, they don't accomplish my goal. I think you need to decide why you are trying to replace sugar and go from there.

We just try not to use a lot of sweetener in general. When I do bake, I use erythritol and stevia. Neither results in an insulin response or blood sugar issues for most people. They are refined, and not "natural" but for my personal goals for my family, this is the best fit.

eta: I have used agave in the past but I don't consider it particularly healthy. It is promoted as "low GI" but look into the effects of concentrated fructose (which is what agave is) on fatty liver disease. For anyone concerned with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes etc. IMO you would want to avoid anything that can trigger fatty liver. There have also been issues with agave being adulterated with corn syrup (cost cutting) IIRC.

Edited by Momof3littles

Well, I try to avoid the insulin response, so while I like honey and maple syrup, they don't accomplish my goal. I think you need to decide why you are trying to replace sugar and go from there.

We just try not to use a lot of sweetener in general. When I do bake, I use erythritol and stevia. Neither results in an insulin response. They are refined, and not "natural" but for my personal goals for my family, this is the best fit.

eta: I have used agave in the past but I don't consider it particularly healthy. It is promoted as "low GI" but look into the effects of concentrated fructose (which is what agave is) on fatty liver disease. For anyone concerned with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes etc. IMO you would want to avoid anything that can trigger fatty liver. There have also been issues with agave being adulterated with corn syrup (cost cutting) IIRC.

:iagree:

If you're just looking for something "less refined" then I'd go with honey or maple syrup. If you are concerned about insulin for whatever reason, or if you are looking to lose weight, then you need to eliminate as much as possible, and use something like Stevia. Honey and maple syrup are awesome and tasty, and less processed/more natural than white sugar, but the body responds to them in the exact same way, and their caloric content is similar to that of white sugar. Stevia does not provoke an insulin response, but it also doesn't taste as good to me. ;-D Currently I'm doing a whole 30 challenge where I'm going 30 days without any sweeteners, including artificial ones. It is challenging, to be sure!

Mostly I want to reduce insulin response. I'm at increased risk of developing type I diabetes. My dh would like to lose weight. He was once pre-diabetic (type 2 obviously) but he's not anymore due to exercising more. However, he also has spine issues which can make exercise impossible for lengths at a time.

I've changed other things in our diet except sugar. I use sugar mostly for baking and making ice cream.

Mostly I want to reduce insulin response. I'm at increased risk of developing type I diabetes. My dh would like to lose weight. He was once pre-diabetic (type 2 obviously) but he's not anymore due to exercising more. However, he also has spine issues which can make exercise impossible for lengths at a time.

I've changed other things in our diet except sugar. I use sugar mostly for baking and making ice cream.

I would cut it out entirely wherever you possibly can. Where you can't, I would recommend erythritol and stevia. Xylitol works similarly to erythritol, but some people have more GI issues with it (loose BMs since it can work as an osmotic laxative. Some people find they can "build up" to tolerating larger amounts of xylitol).

Xylitol and stevia are a popular combo on LC baking blogs, and they play nicely with one another and enhance one another's sweetness. Erythritol is only about 70 percent as sweet as sugar, so you need a little extra, and/or the addition of stevia to make it work well.

eta: here are some blogs that I like that use erythritol and stevia for baking:

This lady is a pastry chef who became diabetic. She has great ideas because she understands technique.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ (highly recommend the boston cream pie by the way!)

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/ (banana nut muffins are fantastic. My kids love them)

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

Edited by Momof3littles

In that case, I'd look at reducing all carbs, not just sugar (the baking especially - lots of carbs besides sugar).

I'm sorry to say you will need to cut out baked goods and ice cream. With baked goods it's not just the sugar but also the flour (and fruit if you're adding that) that will increase your carb load. I can't imagine a low-carb baked good. :confused: For ice cream my dh occasionally will eat a Breyers Carb Smart bar. It satifies his craving but he doesn't do it often because the sweeteners mess up his sleep sometimes. Otherwise he has learned to love unsweetened whipped cream with fresh berries as another treat.

Oh wait--dh finds Ezekiel bread doesn't affect his blood sugars much. You might see if it's the same for you.

In that case, I'd look at reducing all carbs, not just sugar (the baking especially - lots of carbs besides sugar).

yup. sorry.

in the meantime, i modified recipes, switching first to brown sugar then to a combination of pureed fruit and brown sugar. i also started using yoghurt instead of 1/2 the oil, and making sure there was protein in any baking, or that the things were eaten with protein to slow absorption. and then we upped the amount of whole wheat flour (more protein, slower absorption, but also a "fuller feeling" which reduced the amount of baking we ate). but desserts pretty much became a thing of the past. fresh fruit salad is still a big hit though. :001_smile:

potatoes are almost all gone from our diet, because we never did manage to figure out how to eat those in a way that didn't make a huge difference in how folks felt. and the little "three crackers with peanut butter" snacks reduced overall how much everyone ate. (we all started that together so no one was singled out.... definitely increased compliance).

hth,

ann

Agree.

Do you use coconut and almond flour, OP? They are great options for those needing to lower carb consumption.

Do you replace all the flour with almond flour or a portion? Say you wanted to make pancakes that called for 1 1/2 cups flour, would you use 1 1/2 cups almond flour or a portion almond portion white?

Do you replace all the flour with almond flour or a portion? Say you wanted to make pancakes that called for 1 1/2 cups flour, would you use 1 1/2 cups almond flour or a portion almond portion white?

It doesn't always work well that way, unfortunately. I let the bloggers experiment and then use the fruits of their labor! Coconut flour requires a TON of eggs and liquid as it is essentially pure fiber.

The blogs I linked to above have lots of great almond and coconut flour recipes :) We really like Honeyville Grain's almond flour. Available from their website or from amazon.

eta: I don't use any white flour or whole wheat flour. Just recipes that require straight coconut and or almond flour.

It doesn't always work well that way, unfortunately. I let the bloggers experiment and then use the fruits of their labor! Coconut flour requires a TON of eggs and liquid as it is essentially pure fiber.

The blogs I linked to above have lots of great almond and coconut flour recipes :) We really like Honeyville Grain's almond flour. Available from their website or from amazon.

eta: I don't use any white flour or whole wheat flour. Just recipes that require straight coconut and or almond flour.

That make sense. Thanks!

I bought some almond flour in bulk from Sprouts. I was using just a little in my baking 1/4 to 1/2 cup to replace the white flour. Love the taste and texture. I haven't been able to find coconut flour local.

Will check out your links.

Thanks!

In that case, things like honey, agave, or maple syrup aren't going to help. They all raise blood sugar. So do juices, fruit (dried or fresh), rice, flour, milk, etc.

Stevia is good for a sweetener occasionally, but you'll have to totally change your baked goods, beyond sweeteners. There are some good low carb baked goods out there using things like almond flour, but you'll have to do some digging. :grouphug:

Since these are your reasons, avoid the baking and ice cream making. Sugar contributes to texture in food. You can't simply replace it--you need to adjust the entire recipe. I suggest looking at different recipes entirely, (except if you bake bread--then go ahead and use a little sugar in homemade yeast whole-grain bread for the yeast to grow so the bread to rise.) Ice cream has tons of calories because of fat not just sugar. Sugar free ice-cream can still contribute to excess weight.

Agree.

Do you use coconut and almond flour, OP? They are great options for those needing to lower carb consumption.

We are a 100% gf family so I use a lot of almond and coconut flour.

Oh wait--dh finds Ezekiel bread doesn't affect his blood sugars much. You might see if it's the same for you.

Can't. It's not gf.

As for baked goods being low carb.....you'd be amazed at what you can do with nut butters and nut flours.

Ice cream has tons of calories because of fat not just sugar. Sugar free ice-cream can still contribute to excess weight.

Calories that I need. :001_smile: Dh is the one who watches calories. I'm always looking for more calories and good fats.

We are gf as I mentioned. I've also cut out potatoes and white rice a long time ago.