Menu

Help choosing grammar curriculum for 10th Grade

Guest Mcmama9

Guest Mcmama9

I am new to this forum and a little intimidated, but would love some fresh input! I will be homeschooling just three this year, four have graduated and two are little :). With my first four I tried EVERYTHING, I love new things and wanted to experience all the choices, needless to say that didn't work so well when my training and confidence of the big picture was seriously lacking.

So to get on track with my second round I went almost entirely. With ACE curriculum, this way we at least did school.

I'm ready and excited now to dive back into the classical model, I feel I've regrouped and now having retread TWTM I'm chomping at the bit :).

So my main questions are about my 10th grade dd. Shes a good and eager student, but we both got lost in the grammar through ACE. I want her to have a strong but clear review of that, and then a good writing program to go with it. Again that needs to start slow because the writing with ACE was not strong.

Any feedback is appreciated. Would Writing with Skill be a good choice even though she's older?

Thanks, Amy

Guest Mcmama9

Thank you, I'm checking it out! I wish I could see the inside, it's a little on the expensive side but if it is what I need then it old be worth it. Do you have any opinion on writing? Anyone used Writing With Skill with this age?

Guest Mcmama9
:iagree: I used this with both my kids and *loved* it. I also learned to diagram sentences using it. :D Somehow, I had made it through high school and college, and never diagrammed a single sentence.

I found AG to be *very* easy to use, and, while my dc weren't thrilled with it, they learned a lot from it. I can't recommend it enough..

thanks for the reply! What did your children not like? Also I would still love to hear from someone that's used WWS with older students, 7th and 10th.

Blessings, Amy

My son used Analytical Grammar and WWS this year in 8th and we definitely recommend both. :)

Analytical grammar starts from the beginning and teaches everything a high schooler needs to know about grammar (imo). If your daughter's courseload isn't too heavy, she could do it all in one year.

As for WWS, I actually think an older student can take more from it than a 5th grader would. I plan on using it with my 7th and 8th graders this fall, but I think a 10th grader who hasn't had much writing could benefit from it as well. I believe Susan Wise Bauer's son used it in 9th grade.

Guest Mcmama9
:iagree: I used this with both my kids and *loved* it. I also learned to diagram sentences using it. :D Somehow, I had made it through high school and college, and never diagrammed a single sentence.

I found AG to be *very* easy to use, and, while my dc weren't thrilled with it, they learned a lot from it. I can't recommend it enough.

ETA: I forgot to address your question about writing. That was one area that my dc seemed to need outside help with, so we outsourced that. We used Write@Home for basic year-long composition courses the first year and I saw their writing abilities grow immensely. One child (my *very* reluctant writer) has also taken both of the essay workshops, which I can't recommend enough. I plan for my other child to also take those workshops either this year or next.

Write@Home is pricey compared to a DIY curriculum, but not super heavy on the workload. It was just what my struggling writers needed.

My son used Analytical Grammar and WWS this year in 8th and we definitely recommend both. :)

Analytical grammar starts from the beginning and teaches everything a high schooler needs to know about grammar (imo). If your daughter's courseload isn't too heavy, she could do it all in one year.

As for WWS, I actually think an older student can take more from it than a 5th grader would. I plan on using it with my 7th and 8th graders this fall, but I think a 10th grader who hasn't had much writing could benefit from it as well. I believe Susan Wise Bauer's son used it in 9th grade.

So helpful! Thank you :)

An inexpensive and thorough grammar option would be Rod and Staff. Your daughter could try the Level 7 book; and if that's too difficult, drop down to 6 or 5. And if you're going to use WWS (I think that's an excellent option for a high schooler who didn't have a strong start with writing skills), you can skip the writing exercises in R&S.

Also, try the K-8 curric. board and high school board to ask about older kids using WWS. A lot of them do.