Menu

Ancient Rome book list - x/post

Please help me assemble a reading list for my ds. We are spending most of our school year on ancient Rome, plus some time on early Christianity, ancient China, and the ancient Celts. The History of Ancient Rome from the Teaching Company is the main resource with added documentaries and movies and one or two research papers.

Here is what I have so far for literature or historical fiction (I'd love to add more literature to this list):

Detectives in Togas

The Bronze Bow

The Eagle of the Ninth

The Lantern Bearers

The Silver Branch

Ben Hur

The Robe

Shakespeare - Julius Caesar (still deciding if I want the original, a play on DVD/movie, or a retelling - I'm thinking a retelling since my ds isn't interested in Shakespeare)

Also I'm thinking of at least excerpts from the following: (any other suggestions?)

St. Augustine City of God

Josepheus War of the Jews

The Gallic War - Caesar

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbon

Early Church Fathers

If you have suggestions for ancient Celts, ancient China, or early Christianity I'm :bigear:

Reading level is inconsequential, but I would like to avoid graphic violence and sex.

Here are some for the ancient celts:

(I wasn't sure what age you were looking for...?)

Great Folk Tales of Old Ireland compiled by Mary McGarry

Celtic Tales Told to the Children by Louey Chisholm

The Boys' Cuchulain by Eleanor Hull

The Hound of Ulster by Rosemary Sutcliff*

Celtic Myths and Legends by T. W. Rolleston*

*Dd highly recommends these...

A Child's History of Ireland by Patrick Weston Joyce

Ireland: Peeps at History by Beatrice Home

I'm reading How the Irish Saved Civilization and really enjoying it, but there is one particular word that is used that's very strong...

Also, we just watched a documentary on St. Patrick last night...it was very well done...about an hour long...narrated with Liam Neesan

I would recommend Confessions by St. Augustine rather than City of God.

Is Beowulf the right time period for the ancient Celts?

Make sure to include The Martyrdom of Polycarp and at least excerpts from The Life of St. Antony.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, my library does not have Confessions by St. Augustine. Maybe my son can read it on the computer.

Beowulf is more Scandinavian. We recently read that one though.

He would really like the Polycarp one. Again he would have to read it on the computer though since we don't have any special doohickeys that let us read otherwise:tongue_smilie:

I'm reading How the Irish Saved Civilization and really enjoying it, but there is one particular word that is used that's very strong...

Also, we just watched a documentary on St. Patrick last night...it was very well done...about an hour long...narrated with Liam Neesan

Thanks! Age doesn't matter. He would like things for all ages. I'll check into these titles. Hopefully my library has many of them.

If you're already planning on doing the Early Christian Fathers, this edition is excellent and has the Polycarp in it. I also find A Cloud of Witnesses to be an excellent guide to tracing the evolution of Western Christianity through original source documents. Used copies are usually available fairly inexpensively, and this is a book that will be used for years.

, but I would like to avoid graphic violence and sex.

We are doing ancients this fall...just starting logic stage and YES(!) I would like to avoid the books with a lot of sex in them at this point. From everything in this thread can anyone say if there is a book we should avoid? I have a long book list I am gathering but most are posted in this thread already....so if you see one you KNOW I should pull please speak up! :D

If you're already planning on doing the Early Christian Fathers, this edition is excellent and has the Polycarp in it. I also find A Cloud of Witnesses to be an excellent guide to tracing the evolution of Western Christianity through original source documents. Used copies are usually available fairly inexpensively, and this is a book that will be used for years.

The Cloud of Witnesses looks good. I was surprised to find that my library does have the Early Christian Writings book.:thumbup:

Is "A Child's History of Ireland" available free somewhere? It's very expensive and our library doesn't have it. Were these AO books or things you found?

Here it is at Archive:

http://archive.org/details/childshistoryofi00joyc

and I see it coming up at Google books, but since I'm out of the country, I can't pull up Google books any more :sad:

I found all of this on my own...you know my dd's interests in Anglo-Saxon, Celtic and Norse books are so strong...LOL! I'm working on a full study for her for the following school year (not this fall...it will take me that long just to read and educate myself before I can cover it with her...:001_smile:)