Menu

Ack! Dd in tears, what do I say to this child?

dd (9) is in tears. For years she has wanted a pet bunny. Ds just came home from Boy Scout camp. Guess what he brought home? A rabbit skin. Yep, a real, entire, rabbit skin. Dd ran off crying, and I don't even know where to begin. Help me console this poor child- please!

dd (9) is in tears. For years she has wanted a pet bunny. Ds just came home from Boy Scout camp. Guess what he brought home? A rabbit skin. Yep, a real, entire, rabbit skin. Dd ran off crying, and I don't even know where to begin. Help me console this poor child- please!

Does she eat meat? If she's already given up meat consumption on philosophical grounds, this won't be helpful at all. But, I wonder if it would temper the blow for her to be reminded that, at one time, people like the Native Americans needed wild game to live, and they needed the pelts to keep them warm. Perhaps she could feel less sensitive about it if she felt that it was part of a cultural/learning experience for her Boy Scout brother.

I'm sorry. I'm sure it wounded her young heart to see that.

Does she eat meat? If she's already given up meat consumption on philosophical grounds, this won't be helpful at all. But, I wonder if it would temper the blow for her to be reminded that, at one time, people like the Native Americans needed wild game to live, and they needed the pelts to keep them warm. Perhaps she could feel less sensitive about it if she felt that it was part of a cultural/learning experience for her Boy Scout brother.

I just had a brainstorm (doesn't happen too often anymore :lol: )..... why don't you all "give thanks for the rabbits sacrifice"..... as the native Americans did when an animal was hunted. It might give her a chance to reconcile the whole circle of life kind of thing..... appreciation for the qualities of the rabbit and that The Great Spirit/God/Headman in charge (no disrespect intended, I just don't know your religious leanings)... that the Great Spirit provided mankind with animals/plants/Earth for Man's use..... does any of this make sense?

If not........ ignore my babblings...... my family does. :D

She does eat meat, but Thursday she tells me (after eating her chicken) that she wants to be a vegetarian. :001_huh: The only thing I could think of was to say that people eat rabbits, just like we eat cows/chickens/pigs, etc. but I couldn't do it. Maybe if I approach it the way you suggest, as sort of in the past, that might work. Thanks!

I don't know what to say to help your dd. I wanted a rabbit so badly as a child, but my mom wouldn't let me get one because when she was a child, her parents would get her one each Easter and then when it was plump enough, they'd make it for dinner. :eek: My kids and I are mostly vegetarian (it's a journey toward vegetarianism).

I was visiting a county fair with my parents, and my mother and I were happily petting a bunch of rabbits in one of the exhibits. We were just loving on them and petting them and exclaiming about how soft and sweet they were, when the woman in charge of the booth wandered through and pointed to the one I was holding and commented about how there was "a lot of good eating on that rabbit."

I was absolutely horrified. And, in retrospect, that was one of the experiences that propelled me toward vegetarianism/veganism as an adult.

I don't know what to say to help your dd. I wanted a rabbit so badly as a child, but my mom wouldn't let me get one because when she was a child, her parents would get her one each Easter and then when it was plump enough, they'd make it for dinner. :eek: My kids and I are mostly vegetarian (it's a journey toward vegetarianism).

How awful! That. is. just. wrong! You poor thing-:grouphug:

I think I would be a vegetarian too! My mom sold my rabbits in a garage sale. I think that's why I hated her for most of my teen years. At least I wasn't asked to eat the poor things.

Aww, thanks for asking. She's ok today (so far). She made a sign and put it on our mailbox yesterday that says "Please don't kill bunnies. They are an endangered species!" They are in her world anyway! I guess it helps her to think she is doing something to save another bunny from the same fate!