Menu

If you use GWG or AG (or JAG), what do you use for writing?

kailuamom

I am having a HARD time figuring out what grammar / writing program to use with my dds (11 & 8). I think I have made up my mind about 6 times...then I think about something else. lol

I had been thinking about Hake Grammar and Writing since that has both (I am looking for a more secular program than R&S or BJ), but have read a lot of good things about GWG and AG (JAG). For those of you who use those programs for grammar, what do you use for a writing program?

Thanks!

I am having a HARD time figuring out what grammar / writing program to use with my dds (11 & 8). I think I have made up my mind about 6 times...then I think about something else. lol

I had been thinking about Hake Grammar and Writing since that has both (I am looking for a more secular program than R&S or BJ), but have read a lot of good things about GWG and AG (JAG). For those of you who use those programs for grammar, what do you use for a writing program?

Thanks!

I am using both Classical Writing and the TOG writing. :001_huh:

Probably not much help but this will also bump you up. :D

Heather

I am using Write Shop along with AG. They are both billed for 6th-7th-8th grade. Here's my review:

Write Shop website is https://www.writeshop.com/index.htm. We are using Write Shop 1 & 2 for 6th-7th-8th grade. We have completed the 6th grade portion of it. This consists of 11/30 lessons covering descriptive and informative writing.

Pros:

• Extremely detailed instructions for the teacher (this might be considered a con if the teacher didn’t need extremely detailed instructions)

• Extremely detailed instructions for the student

• Teaches a variety of methods for brainstorming

• Teaches many ways to make writing more interesting and requires the student to use them over and over (ex. paired adjectives, participle sentence starters, similes, etc.)

• Helps the student use vivid words by providing them with thorough lists of words to choose from

• Strictly limits dull writing (to be verbs, weak words, repetitive words)

• Guides the student to edit their own work by giving them a checklist

• Guides the teacher to edit the student’s work by giving them a checklist

• Nearly secular

Cons:

• Learning curve for the teacher

Writing is not my favorite task. Teaching writing is not my favorite task. I spend more time preparing for each writing lesson than I do preparing for any other subject. Writing is not my son’s favorite task, either. We spend more time together working on writing than any other subject. I have seen his writing improve tremendously with Write Shop. I have been able to teach writing and help my son improve his writing through Write Shop. The results have been worth the time and effort.