Menu

Is there a lit program similar to LL, but with daily lesson plans?

For various reasons, I had decided that my ds would do everything "canned" for his 9th grade year - either online courses, or textbook/DVD courses.

However, he (and I) really don't want to do "schooly" reading/writing. He wants to finish out the Writing Strands series (which he loves and IS motivated to do, despite what you will read in my "unmotivated" post below). And he (and I) much prefer real, whole books - he does not want a big, fat lit textbook.

LL sounds like the type of program I want. But after looking at the sample pages on their site, I have no clue how to schedule this course over the year. He (and I) need something with daily plans - exactly what to read each day, what questions to answer, what to write about. I want everything laid out - for me, to make my life easier as I have other dc to teach, and for him, to have a daily syllabus (NOT Mom-designed) to which he can be accountable.

If I order the Hewitt English syllabus, will this provide daily plans for reading/writing?

Is there another program you could recommend?

Thank you, thank you!!!

He (and I) need something with daily plans - exactly what to read each day, what questions to answer, what to write about. I want everything laid out - for me, to make my life easier as I have other dc to teach, and for him, to have a daily syllabus (NOT Mom-designed) to which he can be accountable.

I'm not on my home computer so I can't find the link, but a member of this board has posted her schedules for LL7 & LL8 on her blog. I'm hoping she'll chime in with the link.

That's the only help I can offer as we just received LL7 last week. :bigear:

Guest Katia

I've tried to post to this thread two times, and both times my post has gotten eaten in cyber-space, lol. Perhaps I'm not supposed to post, but I can't help myself :001_smile:

I like LL. I've used LL American, British, Shakespeare and World Lit. We've had varying success with each, but the one constant problem has been the scheduling of these courses. And, yes, I've had access to and tried to use all Hewitt's schedules along with their syllabus. They are simply not realistic schedules IMHO, unless of course, you have 2 hours or more per day to spend on literature.

What we finally ended up doing was having my dd read the books during the summer and reading the lessons and writing the papers during the school year. And we still struggled to get it all done, but the lessons were interesting and informative, and I felt writing a ton of papers was good. However, my dd ended up hating writing, writing, writing with nary a break.

This year, I am switching to Smarr. I love, love, LOVE their daily schedules. They are realistic and do-able. I love that their writing is scheduled in. And I really loved that they were willing to make me a customized package that featured mostly Shakespeare out of their British Survey course. What service!

So, you might want to check out Smarr Publishing.

Wow! It's really cool when others remember that you did something and also offer the link to it.

Wanted to mention that both Am Lits are on there as well.

I'm still undecided about next years lit for DS1 though. . .he'll be covering world history (1 yr. survey). Maybe I'll check out Smarr. It would be lovely if I don't have to create more schedules. . .:001_huh:(Gee, what would I do with my time? :lol: the Physics or Ad. Math sched. I'm sure!)

(He's somewhat in charge of his courses and wants to do a world history survey and then for 12th a 20th-21st Century course.)