Menu

PNW'ers -- anyone know of an inexpensive place to stay in the San Juans?

I'm doing some research on how much a trip there with our family of nine would cost. Any info. appreciated! I've lived here all my life and have never been to the islands. Oh, I'm not necessarily thinking camping, although I suppose we could consider it. More like cabins, house rentals VRBO-style, etc.

I'm doing some research on how much a trip there with our family of nine would cost. Any info. appreciated! I've lived here all my life and have never been to the islands. Oh, I'm not necessarily thinking camping, although I suppose we could consider it. More like cabins, house rentals VRBO-style, etc.

Years ago, we used to stay in a hostel on San Juan Island. It was extremely inexpensive. I don't know if it's still in business.

We also spent several weekends staying in a cabin on Orcas Island. I'm forgetting the name of the place now, but they were very nice. Rustic but nice. We were supposed to spend our honeymoon there, but there was a snow storm and the lady called the morning of our wedding to tell us not to come as the pipes had frozen and the roads were undriveable. :tongue_smilie: Anyway, the cabins were right on the water.

I also was part of a group of moms who got together every summer (this was the only time we got together) with our kids and camped on Lopez Island. That was great fun.

OK, I did a little search and I think that this is the place on Orcas: http://www.westbeachresort.com/

It looks like it's been upgraded as when we stayed there it was an elderly woman who was in charge.

Edited by Stacy in WA

I am partial to Snug Harbor and Roche Harbor on San Juan. Roche Harbor is really special!!!!! There are lots of activities, but my favorite are the hiking trails. I have not been there since I was 16, but growing up we were there multiple times a year. I am not totally sure about where exactly to lodge. I think there were smaller cabins to the left (when facing) the main resort. The pier had wonderful ice cream!

I am partial to Roche Harbor on San Juan. m!
roche harbor is nice, especially with all the guest houses they've built - it is also $$:eek:$ for just one night. It is also at the northern most tip of SJ - and gets the rain. heh. (we stayed at a B& B further south and it was dry and sunny.)

San Juan state part is great if you are up to camping. It is on the west side, about mid island and overlooks Vancouver Island. and the whales swim past twice a day at least.:)

Edited by gardenmom5

roche harbor is nice, especially with all the guest houses they've built - it is also $$:eek:$ for just one night. It is also at the northern most tip of SJ - and gets the rain. heh. (we stayed at a B& B further south and it was dry and sunny.)

San Juan state part is great if you are up to camping. It is on the west side, about mid island and overlooks Vancouver Island. and the whales swim past twice a day at least.:)

Can you take a look at this link and tell me which park you mean, please? (If any of these?). This is what came up when I did a search for "San Juan State Park."

Edited by milovaný
I was rude and didn't say "please" the first time.

I figured my perspective was a little off, my grandfather was an avid sailor so we always stayed on the boat. ;)

This thread has made so incredibly homesick. My mom and I actually lived in Snug harbor, back in the early 80's. We lived right across the Bay from the the little Marina and motel where she worked. We would travel my dingy every morning. Sigh..... :001_smile: