Menu

Chicken people---do we want 2 roosters?

We have had chickens for several years now. We currently have 6 2 year old layers and then we got 8 chicks this spring. It is looking like the 2 "pullets" we were given are actually roosters.

What are the pros and cons of having a rooster? Obviously we could hatch some chicks in the spring but on the flip side----the thought of eating fertilized eggs just grosses me out.

Any input for me? I believe these are Rhode Island Reds.

Edited by Ottakee

I keep one Rooster. He actually watches the skies for predators and herds his harem to safety when needed. :D

I had about six and really wanted to keep the RIR, but the Leghorn turned out to have a better personality for our situation.

Fertilized eggs do not bother me.

We have had chickens for several years now. We currently have 6 2 year old layers and then we got 8 chicks this spring. It is looking like the 2 "pullets" we were given are actually roosters.

What are the pros and cons of having a rooster? Obviously we could hatch some chicks in the spring but on the flip side----the thought of eating fertilized eggs just grosses me out.

Any input for me? I believe these are Rhode Island Reds.

You just moved to lots of acerage, right? As long as you don't have neighbors who might be upset and bother you, roosters help make more babies. ;) They are loud, and standard RIR hens don't go broody much ( you might have to look for a different breed for that) but roos are good protectors. Roos who grow up together from chicks often get along fine. Introducing new, older males can be an issue. I currently have 5 roos, although 2 are going to another home, and two are headed to the stew pot (They fight if they get a chance, and it's a pain to always have to keep them from each other, although they get along with the other males, so you never know.) I'm keeping one. My neighbors are fne, and like them, but I am personally sick of the crowing. I did hatch some babies this spring, so that was nice.

Edited by LibraryLover

It depends on the personality of the rooster. I take care of a farm with two roos. One is a decent chap and generally seems at least mildly concerned with the safety of his harem. The other is a brute...he is so awful that he makes the death row inmates seem benevolent! :glare: He also goes after the humans and I've had more than one bloody spot on my ankle because of him. The owner doesn't want to kill him and I have no idea why. However, I have been tempted SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times when I've been farmsitting to remove his neck from his shoulders. I can't wait for him to have an unfortunate accident.

If you are considering having two, you may need to wait until they are old enough to see how they behave. You may get a couple of mild mannered gents, you may get two who fight viciously over the harem, or you may get one you like and one you'd really enjoy eating!

Faith

If you are considering having two, you may need to wait until they are old enough to see how they behave. You may get a couple of mild mannered gents, you may get two who fight viciously over the harem, or you may get one you like and one you'd really enjoy eating!

Faith

:iagree: We've had roosters that got along for a time and those who didn't. As they aged though, even those that got along ended up fighting so I'd be inclined to let them grow up to 5 months or so, pick the mildest mannered gent (doesn't attack people) to keep and the other to enjoy for dinner.

They did grow up together since they were 2 days old.

We have 2 buff oringtons that tend to go broody so I bet they would hatch the eggs if we did that. We also have 2 black ones, 2 Isa browns, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Aracuana, and 2 I don't know hens.

Are cross bred chicks good for egg laying?

We do live on just over 5 acres so we are zoned for animals. Our next door neighbor has 1 or more roosters.