Menu

Integrated sciences on the transcript

As I'm continuing to work on my two eldest dd's transcripts, I've hit a patch of confusion. Both dc are currently "in progress" on a three-year integrated science sequence (designed by me) that will be ultimately equivalent to having taken Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Then they'll each take a fourth science (a traditional course). Originally I was going to put Integrated Science 1, Integrated Science 2, and Integrated Science 3 on the transcript and put a note that together they are equivalent to Bio/Chem/Physics. However, I want the transcripts to look fairly similar to what colleges are used to seeing. I also want it to be very clear that each course was with lab. Would it be terribly awful to put the work down on the transcript as Biology (with lab), Chemistry (with lab), and Physics (with lab)? Is there really any benefit to doing so, or am I just overthinking things?

The transcripts are organized by subject, if that matters.

Thanks.

As I'm continuing to work on my two eldest dd's transcripts, I've hit a patch of confusion. Both dc are currently "in progress" on a three-year integrated science sequence (designed by me) that will be ultimately equivalent to having taken Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Then they'll each take a fourth science (a traditional course). Originally I was going to put Integrated Science 1, Integrated Science 2, and Integrated Science 3 on the transcript and put a note that together they are equivalent to Bio/Chem/Physics. However, I want the transcripts to look fairly similar to what colleges are used to seeing. I also want it to be very clear that each course was with lab. Would it be terribly awful to put the work down on the transcript as Biology (with lab), Chemistry (with lab), and Physics (with lab)? Is there really any benefit to doing so, or am I just overthinking things?

The transcripts are organized by subject, if that matters.

Thanks.

Well, isn't it redundant to specify "with lab" for those sciences? Aren't they, by definition, lab sciences?

When thosee courses are finished, give a credit for each one. You don't need to indicate that they were all mushed up together. :)

As I'm continuing to work on my two eldest dd's transcripts, I've hit a patch of confusion. Both dc are currently "in progress" on a three-year integrated science sequence (designed by me) that will be ultimately equivalent to having taken Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

You could put "Integrated Biology, Chemistry, and Physics" rather than "Integrated Science" as the course title. (adding "w/ lab") as you choose. (I personally put "w/ lab" on mine.)

Does each year emphasize all 3 areas equally? Perhaps you could entitle the courses "Integrated Biology and Chemistry" "Integrated Chemistry and Physics" and "Integrated Physics and Biology"---or some such thing that makes a different area of science the start of the title for each year.

--Janet

Well, isn't it redundant to specify "with lab" for those sciences? Aren't they, by definition, lab sciences?

When thosee courses are finished, give a credit for each one. You don't need to indicate that they were all mushed up together. :)

I don't think it's redundant. Some schools are doing these sciences without labs and most colleges I've looked at want to see so many science and so many lab science credits. Listing it could ward off further scrutiny. I don't think the assumption that labs are included in expected now, at least from what I've looked at lately.

To the OP, good question. I'm going back and forth on my science and I'm looking at a text that is integrated. I plan to add components and stretch it out of 3 years. In that case each year, while integrated, would have a defined area of focus. My current thought is to list it this way:

Physics w/lab 1.0

Chemistry w/lab 1.0

Biology w/lab 1.0

I'm interested to see how others have listed it as well.

I'd definitely put with lab--very important. And I think I'd list them out by bio, chem and physics. You're trying to make a transcript as easy as possible to read + looking like a more "normal" transcript.

:iagree:

"With lab" is important because one could also teach a course without.

I would reserve any explanation of the integrated nature of the courses for the course descriptions and make the transcript easy to understand for the admissions officials.

Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go with separating them out (and specifying w/lab).

:iagree:

"With lab" is important because one could also teach a course without.

I would reserve any explanation of the integrated nature of the courses for the course descriptions and make the transcript easy to understand for the admissions officials.

How might I do this?

How might I do this?

Integrated Sciences: Biology (1 credit), Physics (1 credit), Chemistry (1 credit)

Textboooks used...

The course covers the following topics....

The three sciences are taught in an integrated manner because... to facilitate....

Some people have short course descriptions of a few lines, some take a page for each which would leave you enough room to detail your philosophy for teaching integrated.