Menu

All you "overgirth" smarties..........

This is an Australian saddle. Actually, it's an American knockoff of an Australian saddle, but it's pretty close. It originally came with a saddle horn, which I had removed. Only sissies need a horn.

April2008016-1.jpg

Here is the question. Should the curved part of the overgirth go to the front or the back of the saddle? I know, but it bothers me. I'm going to order a new girth,(just girth, not overgirth) and I think I put my overgirth on backwards after the last time I cleaned it. Any opinions? Also, I'm thinking a 38 inch girth for this. Arabian mare, about 14.2, 900 lbs?

April2008017.jpg

And just for the very curious..............this is an Australian saddle actually in Australia being used on a cattle station whereupon resides one of my favorite bloggers, Bush Babe, who very generously posted this for me when I asked her some questions. You'll notice these Australian stirrups are slightly Americanized, or cowboyized, and that there is no overgirth on this saddle. I am dying with curiosity to see the girth on this saddle, I'm betting it's cowboyed.

bushbabe.jpg

Here is the question. Should the curved part of the overgirth go to the front or the back of the saddle? I know, but it bothers me. I'm going to order a new girth,(just girth, not overgirth) and I think I put my overgirth on backwards after the last time I cleaned it. Any opinions? Also, I'm thinking a 38 inch girth for this. Arabian mare, about 14.2, 900 lbs?

Ok- my overgirth is not as curved as yours. (There is a lot that could be done with that sentence... but I'm leaving it alone!) The slightly curved part of mine goes towards the back of the saddle. It just fits better that way on mine- but who knows? Mine could be the backwards one. Sorry I can't really help more.

Oh boy, when I'm buying new girths I go out and measure 2-3 times, place the order according to the recommended measurements online and then worry about it until it arrives and it fits. LOL.

The last English girths I got were from Valley Vet, double elastic. I love them.. They never slip & I like the "give" the double elastic provides.

I think it was this one.

I don't know. I would try it both ways and see which way it fits better.

I still really like the looks of the Aussie saddles. I love the real Aussie saddle on the last picture. I doubt though that one of those would fit my super stock foundation QH as the Aussie horses are more of a narrow build in the shoulders.

Let me know how the Aussie saddle works for those turkey scares.

Let me know how the Aussie saddle works for those turkey scares.

I rode Fat Wally with a draft size Aussie. When he spooks he does a spin that would put CA and Mindy to shame. The poleys on that saddle held me right in place.

Hacinta shied to the side once and the saddle came off, I'm hoping/thinking/praying that it was because I wasn't familiar enough with the cinch to have it properly fastened.

Hacinta is the Queen of Teleporting.

She is asking which way the strap goes over the top of the saddle---with the curve to the front or the back. The cinch that goes under the horse's belly does go only 1 way.

I am newer to horses and it is amazing what I have to learn. I never knew there was so much stuff that I didn't know.

Is Hacinta a finer built horse? If so, the draft size Aussie is likely way too wide for her and it will slip around even with a tighter cinch. Most Aussie saddles though are made for thinner built horses so you should do well with a reg. Aussie saddle instead of the draft size.

My new Arabian saddle gives me quite a secure seat despite having a very narrow swell (part where the horn sits). The cantle is lower too (back of the saddle) but for some reason it feels very secure.

Still not sure that I am ready to run barrels or not but my instructor would love to see me try----actually I told her I would like to see her try it with Spy. I am just afraid of those tight turns at a fast lope with him going one way and me going the other and parting company.

OK - I have no idea what an overgirth is. I look at the saddle and see only one way that it could go on a horse! What am I missing? (I know nothing about horses anymore, so I apologize in advance for my silly question.)

It's not the way the saddle goes on the horse, it's the way the overgirth goes on the saddle. Understandably confusing!

OK - I realize that most of us have moved on from the overgirth issue, but could someone please post a picture with an arrow pointing at the overgirth and duly labeled? I'm still so confused!

And, of course, don't even have a horse so my "need to know" status is very low, except that it's really bugging me!

OK - I realize that most of us have moved on from the overgirth issue, but could someone please post a picture with an arrow pointing at the overgirth and duly labeled? I'm still so confused!

And, of course, don't even have a horse so my "need to know" status is very low, except that it's really bugging me!

Okay, I don't know how to make arrows, so look at the seat of the saddle. See the strip of leather in the seat, where your butt goes? That's the overgirth. Most are just a straight strip of leather, but mine is curved on one side and straght on the other. It makes a difference because the overgirth slides through two slits on either side of the saddle and is then attached to the regular girth. Regular Australian saddle girths have four buckles, two on each end, with a strap attached to one of the buckles. If you don't have your overgirth on properly it won't align up with the matching buckles and straps on your saddle. Although if you really want to confuse the issue you can buy girths with the strap on the left or the right. Clear as mud?

Is Hacinta a finer built horse? If so, the draft size Aussie is likely way too wide for her and it will slip around even with a tighter cinch. Most Aussie saddles though are made for thinner built horses so you should do well with a reg. Aussie saddle instead of the draft size.

My new Arabian saddle gives me quite a secure seat despite having a very narrow swell (part where the horn sits). The cantle is lower too (back of the saddle) but for some reason it feels very secure.

Still not sure that I am ready to run barrels or not but my instructor would love to see me try----actually I told her I would like to see her try it with Spy. I am just afraid of those tight turns at a fast lope with him going one way and me going the other and parting company.[/quote

Hacinta is very fine built, but my Aussie I ride her on is regular size. I sold the draft size when I sold Fat Wally. But this is the saddle that slipped when she shied, and I ended up in the ER with a messed up rib. I'm hoping that when I'm better acquainted with the girth, it'll be a better fit, because she's the one horse that I'd rather ride without the CA.

Watch some of the barrel racing accidents on youtube and that'll cure you pretty quick of barrel fever. I used to race when I was a kid, no longer.

This barrel racing is NOT like what you used to do. The pattern is the same but this is a VERY low key operation---many people just walk/trot the pattern for the fun of it. My fear is that my HORSE knows the pattern and knows how to go FAST and I might get left in the dust.

Hope you figure out the Aussie saddle thing. That was my next step for Spy but the Arabian saddle fits him so well.

Still not sure that I am ready to run barrels or not but my instructor would love to see me try----actually I told her I would like to see her try it with Spy. I am just afraid of those tight turns at a fast lope with him going one way and me going the other and parting company.[/quote

Hacinta is very fine built, but my Aussie I ride her on is regular size. I sold the draft size when I sold Fat Wally. But this is the saddle that slipped when she shied, and I ended up in the ER with a messed up rib. I'm hoping that when I'm better acquainted with the girth, it'll be a better fit, because she's the one horse that I'd rather ride without the CA.

Watch some of the barrel racing accidents on youtube and that'll cure you pretty quick of barrel fever. I used to race when I was a kid, no longer.[/QUOTE]

OK - I think I see what the overgirth is now. (Sorry I am so late in responding; I don't get much time to sort through the boards!)

To my horse-clueless brain, it looks to me like the curve should face the back of the saddle. That will look the tidiest. That's my expert opinion for you. :lol:

I think I must have had too much sleep last night. I read "overgirth" and thought you were addressing us ladies who need to shed a few pounds around the middle! :lol:

That was my first impression also:001_huh:. But then I saw who it was from....Duh!!! I have been away from horses for too long.