Menu

LA for 3rd grade ?

NatYoung17

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out what all I need to do for LA in 3rd grade? We're using AAS for spelling , FLL for grammar, a cursive writing book and whatever books she's intested in for reading... Is there anything else I need to do for 3rd grade LA?

Thanks!

yep--some sort of writing program. I ditched Writing Strands halfway through the year and picked up WWE and started reading TWJ from Bravewriter. Those two are likely going to be my writing program dream team from here on out---WWE/Bravewriter with monthly Arrows.

Maybe some sort of vocab program? Not necessary, but I like to use Wordly Wise and English From the Roots Up. And a list of books you want to read aloud is helpful.

That's pretty similar to what my rising fourth grader did for third grade. I did have him do WTM style writing, which was working on narration and dictation primarily. He didn't use actual curricula for this; TWTM explains it fairly well IMO. Take a look at Writing With Ease (placement test on the website) if you want that work done for you.

yep--some sort of writing program. I ditched Writing Strands halfway through the year and picked up WWE and started reading TWJ from Bravewriter. Those two are likely going to be my writing program dream team from here on out---WWE/Bravewriter with monthly Arrows.

Maybe some sort of vocab program? Not necessary, but I like to use Wordly Wise and English From the Roots Up. And a list of books you want to read aloud is helpful.

LOL. We ditched WWE and are using Writing Strands and Bravewriter components LOL.

Heather

We are finishing up 3rd grade and didn't do any more than that (except the addition of WTM style writing in other subjects). In fact we did less, b/c we didn't get to cursive. One thing we did add in is doing Madlibs once or twice a week. The kids love Madlib day.

Tentative 3rd grade LA plan since dropping PR:

R&S3, SWR, & WWE3. Or if I drop wwe I could do dictation through SWR, narration from read alouds, and narration/dictation for her science notebook. Undecided.

Cursive & maybe a couple of literature guides as well.

Edited by hmsmith

I was wondering what the difference is between "sentence composing..." and "story grammar..." - looking at it online, they look very similar and have some of the same sentences in the sample pages...? I'm just wondering if both are necessary along with Grammar land?

Also, a general question about WWE - is it mainly just dictation and narration? We already do dictation in her spelling every day and unless FLL 3 is very different from 1 & 2 there is story narration included in it, so I'm wondering if that's going to be too much of the same? We haven't done WWE 1 or 2...

Thanks for all your responses so far ! I really appreciate your ideas! :001_smile: