Menu

Experienced travelers: what do you do when ...

Pauline Frommer's advice is to consider renting an apartment instead of staying at a hotel.

I have often stayed in apartments of one kind or another when visiting London or Paris. It is my preferred way to go. We eat dinner at "home", either making simple veg/pasta/fish meals - there are many wonderful shops for this - or choosing a variety of fresh and/or frozen meals from places like Marks and Spencers. When I say "frozen meals", you're picturing something icky, but M&S makes high-quality stuff that's widely available, including many traditional British dishes. Much cheaper than eating out at dinner time. You can always do a restaurant or two for lunch, if you like.

I almost forgot - you MUST do a "London Walks" tour. I can't even begin to explain how incredibly interesting and detailed these walking tours are. The guides are excellent and really know their stuff. They'll point out stuff you never would have noticed on your own. So, so worth your time.

I liked Bath, and it's an easy train ride away. Adults will love it, but I'm not sure how much kids will enjoy - it's one of those things you'll want to consider and be sure to plan for one thing that is of interest to your dc. There are the baths, of course, and lots of old architecture, and a fashion museum if you like that kind of thing (I do), and lots of interesting little shops. A few years ago I spent the day there. It's nicely laid out, with the train station at one end of the town at the bottom of a hill. It's easy to plan your walk in a loop, so you're going uphill in the morning and downhill on the way back. Bring a map, and prelocate the Marks & Spencers ~ buy your lunch there and eat it in the courtyard of the (very) old church nearby. Vintage guidebooks are nice to use here; they really show how much of Bath has been the same (in a good way) for centuries. My vintage guidebook ('60's) had all kinds of info on building details, etc., and was just fine for navigation. No need for any public trans - the city is just perfect for a one-day walking visit.

I have often stayed in apartments of one kind or another when visiting London or Paris. It is my preferred way to go. We eat dinner at "home", either making simple veg/pasta/fish meals - there are many wonderful shops for this - or choosing a variety of fresh and/or frozen meals from places like Marks and Spencers. When I say "frozen meals", you're picturing something icky, but M&S makes high-quality stuff that's widely available, including many traditional British dishes. Much cheaper than eating out at dinner time. You can always do a restaurant or two for lunch, if you like.

I almost forgot - you MUST do a "London Walks" tour. I can't even begin to explain how incredibly interesting and detailed these walking tours are. The guides are excellent and really know their stuff. They'll point out stuff you never would have noticed on your own. So, so worth your time.

I liked Bath, and it's an easy train ride away. Adults will love it, but I'm not sure how much kids will enjoy - it's one of those things you'll want to consider and be sure to plan for one thing that is of interest to your dc. There are the baths, of course, and lots of old architecture, and a fashion museum if you like that kind of thing (I do), and lots of interesting little shops. A few years ago I spent the day there. It's nicely laid out, with the train station at one end of the town at the bottom of a hill. It's easy to plan your walk in a loop, so you're going uphill in the morning and downhill on the way back. Bring a map, and prelocate the Marks & Spencers ~ buy your lunch there and eat it in the courtyard of the (very) old church nearby. Vintage guidebooks are nice to use here; they really show how much of Bath has been the same (in a good way) for centuries. My vintage guidebook ('60's) had all kinds of info on building details, etc., and was just fine for navigation. No need for any public trans - the city is just perfect for a one-day walking visit.

Thank you for all of your help! :001_smile:

I was thinking about you today, wishing I was going to London soon. :) I looked up some items that might make good travel wear. You would need a wrap for most of them if you want to cover your shoulders, but there are some cute knit options from Title 9 here:

www.titlenine.com/category/skorts-skirts-dresses/casual-dresses.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Skorts:

www.titlenine.com/category/skorts-skirts-dresses/skorts.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Here are some dresses from Boden:

www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses.html

Travelsmith (easy fabrics):

www.travelsmith.com/women/dresses/?&cm_re=4-_-Dresses-_-Image

I was thinking about you today, wishing I was going to London soon. :) I looked up some items that might make good travel wear. You would need a wrap for most of them if you want to cover your shoulders, but there are some cute knit options from Title 9 here:

www.titlenine.com/category/skorts-skirts-dresses/casual-dresses.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Skorts:

www.titlenine.com/category/skorts-skirts-dresses/skorts.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Here are some dresses from Boden:

www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses.html

Travelsmith (easy fabrics):

www.travelsmith.com/women/dresses/?&cm_re=4-_-Dresses-_-Image

Ooh, fun! Thanks!

Haven't read all the replies but I've had issues with suitcases not arriving when I do in the past so now I pack ALL my clothes in my carry on. In fact my husband and I leave for Africa in a few days and we are carrying everything for 14 days over in our carry on bags.

The key is to roll everything. You'd be amazed at what you can fit in a small carry-on.

To give you some idea:

11 pairs of underwear

5 bras

2 pairs of socks

2 pairs of flip flops

7 shirts

3 pajama shorts

3 pajama shirts

5 shorts/capris

swim suit

tank top for swimming

rash guard swim shorts

jewelry

There is a lady doing laundry for us for half of the trip...but this way we know we have everything we need with us. I doubt I'd check a bag for personal stuff ever again.